Author Topic: Who else would totally KILL for a lightsaber?  (Read 6427 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Who else would totally KILL for a lightsaber?
« on: July 14, 2005, 11:57:53 AM »
Wouldn't it be the sweetest? Even without force powers, with a limited amount of training you could own anybody in hand to hand combat.. jeeze...

What do you guys think?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 12:24:33 PM »
I dunno if I would KILL for one, but pretty much everything up to that point.

Of course, it would be sweet, but if I had a gun 15 feet away...
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 01:11:56 PM »
screw that I want one of those hollywood "guns" never seem to run out of bullets and knock people on their butts when they get shot
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

onions!

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 01:29:49 PM »
My very own lightsaber?

Darth Jeff @ your service.Smiley

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 01:40:14 PM »
What is a light saber and why should I want one?
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

possenti

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 01:54:34 PM »
Not only could you own anyone in hand-to-hand combat, but it would make a kick-ass cigarette lighter.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 04:57:26 PM »
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 06:16:06 PM »
BryanP beat me to it.

GunRunner-

You know, a light saber. As opposed to the heavy ones.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 06:19:53 PM »
Frell the light saber, just give me The Force powers.  Telekinesis, mind bending, and my favorite, crushing the larynx of those who displease you, with just a thought.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 07:29:58 PM »
Ah yes, Sindawe.  But the light saber is the overt physical manifistation of The Force.
The Mind (The Force) has the ability to create the saber and it invigorates the flesh.

The paradox (and the irony) is when The Darkside of The Force encourters and engages the Light.  The Darkside is in the supine position because it fights using light.  
Ergo: The Darkside is defeated; will be defeated, for a kingdom divided cannot stand.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Strings

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 08:21:21 PM »
grampster's post reminded me of a problem I had with Ep1: the whole thing about Anakin "restoring balance to the Force". Since the Light side was in ascendancy, wouldn't "bringing balance" elevate the Dark side? Couldn't any of the Jedi figure THAT one out, and take appropriate measures (like maybe an "oops" in lightsaber practice)? Did anyone else notice this, or am I just weird?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 09:58:02 PM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
grampster's post reminded me of a problem I had with Ep1: the whole thing about Anakin "restoring balance to the Force". Since the Light side was in ascendancy, wouldn't "bringing balance" elevate the Dark side? Couldn't any of the Jedi figure THAT one out, and take appropriate measures (like maybe an "oops" in lightsaber practice)? Did anyone else notice this, or am I just weird?
Yep.  Jedi had it coming.  Balance WAS restored.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 02:46:13 AM »
Brace yourself.  I'm about to establish my nerddom beyond all refutation.

1]  The Sith are themselves an imballance in the force.  There will/would be dark-siders always, but a dark sider is not a Sith Lord.  When he killed the Emperor and then died, Anakin Skywalker balanced the force.

2]  Anakin reballanced the Jedi.  Quick review:  Before Annie, the Jedi had become a totallitarian elitist theocracy in all effect.  They had the right to take anyone's baby away from them because they, the government, knew best how to raise and train them.  They decided what their students could and could not feel, whom they could or could not associate with, and forbade them any love, any children or attachments of their own.  By the time I got done with Ep. 2 I couldn't wait for Darth Vader to start tearing down the system 'cause it was about as warped and controlling as any "evil" organization I'd ever heard of.

Afterwards, (though you have to get this out of the novels since Lucas was such an idiot he put off movies 7-9 so long that they had to be released in book form 'cause the actors got too old, a treachery for which he shall never be forgiven!) the Jedi grow up with their father and mother or what-have-you, they learn to love and value what they protect, and they learn that it doesn't lead to the darkside.  The Jedi can love and marry, their education becomes a symposium intead of a theocratic dictatorship.  Dark-siders are turned back to the light instead of simply killed like the old Jedi would do things.

I can go on and on, but the Star Wars universe, for all its problems, was much better afterwards than before.  Ironically, if you read the Ep 3 novel, at the end you discover that the Jedi, not the Sith, discover immortality, and the first one is Qui Gon Jin, who discovered it through his love and compassion for living things.  He was the first of the New Jedi.

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 03:57:14 AM »
Quote from: possenti
Not only could you own anyone in hand-to-hand combat, but it would make a kick-ass cigarette lighter.
I like to keep this handy, for close encounters.[/Cpl Hicks]

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 07:16:41 AM »
Bemidjiblade, if I ever have a Star Wars question, I know where to turn. Where's that little humble bowing smilie when you need him...
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Strings

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 07:39:19 AM »
Bemidjiblade: do you have a life of some kind? If so... WHEN do you find time?!?!?!?

Justin

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 01:24:28 PM »
Has anyone else seen the episode of The Venture Brothers where they have a yard sale?

Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 02:04:54 PM »
Hey now, lay off the nerds.  Why is it any more odd to know all the details about a particular fictional series than to know all the details about hundreds of obsolete firearms (ya C&R types ...) or to know various reloading data by heart?  Hmmm?  

My favorite webcomic having to do with the whole Star Wars fate of the Jedi thing can be found here:

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20050523.html

Hee.  I still laugh when I read that.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 02:08:10 PM »
Quote from: Bemidjiblade
2]  Anakin reballanced the Jedi.  Quick review:  Before Annie, the Jedi had become a totallitarian elitist theocracy in all effect.  They had the right to take anyone's baby away from them because they, the government, knew best how to raise and train them.  They decided what their students could and could not feel, whom they could or could not associate with, and forbade them any love, any children or attachments of their own.  By the time I got done with Ep. 2 I couldn't wait for Darth Vader to start tearing down the system 'cause it was about as warped and controlling as any "evil" organization I'd ever heard of.
Very well put.  In Ep3, the Jedi were about as hostile to democracy as the Sith.  Keep in mind, the Sith were voted into office.   The jedi could have let the truth out.  Nope, THEY knew what to do, what information to release, whom to spy on, etc.  

Yoda knew what he was doing as he was doing it.  He knew of the imbalance in the force, and that the Jedi created it by becoming what they were.   He knew what the prophecy really meant, and by fighting it so hard...   brought it to fruition.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 02:54:43 PM »
Has anyone else seen the episode of The Venture Brothers where they have a yard sale?
Now that's a funny show. Smiley
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

thorn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 03:48:52 PM »
Quote from: Winston Smith
Wouldn't it be the sweetest? Even without force powers, with a limited amount of training you could own anybody in hand to hand combat.. jeeze...

What do you guys think?
oh yes, i want one. YES!!

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 11:03:49 PM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
Yeah, my 12 year old cousin connected the dots on this within 5 minutes of hearing it. Apparently the Jedi were too stupid to actually figure out the words that they themselves were saying. It kinda makes sense when you think about it. Obi Wan completely forgets about two of the biggest characters in his life when he runs accross them a few years later. The more i watch the new movies the more i believe that the Jedi had it coming.

thorn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 11:57:09 PM »
>>>>>, (though you have to get this out of the novels since Lucas was such an idiot he put off movies 7-9 so long that they had to be released in book form 'cause the actors got too old, a treachery for which he shall never be forgiven!)<<<<<<<<,

WHOA!!!! finallly some light on that subject, (7-9) , thanks!!!

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2005, 02:48:09 AM »
Quote from: BryanP
Hey now, lay off the nerds.  Why is it any more odd to know all the details about a particular fictional series than to know all the details about hundreds of obsolete firearms (ya C&R types ...) or to know various reloading data by heart?  Hmmm?  

My favorite webcomic having to do with the whole Star Wars fate of the Jedi thing can be found here:

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20050523.html

Hee.  I still laugh when I read that.
lmao Cheesy

Kharn

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2005, 09:42:59 AM »
In defense of my lack of a life:
1]  I like to believe that I have a life.
2]  I work full time all night, have about 5 hours of court ordered stuff a week, am currently working through a grad level analysis of Philemon published by Concordia, entertain friends w/ role playing games, write novels and short stories with a profoud lack of financial success equalled only by my hopeless determination, meet w/ a local pastor and discuss theology a time or two a week, research random things online as they grab my curiosity (Two weeks ago's topic was the educational curriculum of pre-Norman celtic monasticism and its interplay with bardic and druidic traditions), go to movies, train in the martial arts on my own, but alas, Sunday a duel w/ a pretty woman in the cities fell through 'cause one of my pastors had a heart attack.  I was even willing to slum it and fence foil instead of saber, my raison-d'etre, I also have an exercise bike going whenever I'm reading or watching TV.
3]  How do I have a life?  Well...  Back when I was younger and swam a mile or two every morning before Hebrew class, I developed a motto that has served me well:  "Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine", and diet cola is cheep.
MUAHAHAHAHA.
It also helps to ahve an 80% retention rate.

PS.  If you want to know how the story "ends", or at least, the end of Lucas' original storyline, the three novels are "Heir to the Empire" by Timothy Zahn.  Lucas gave him the plot line and Zahn, a well above average Sci-Fi writer, did them much justice.  They were published in the early 90's, when it became clear that the movie deals for the last three movies would fall through.  In all fairness, I must warn you that the world only gets cooler after Endor, and you may be sucked in as I did, until you end up reading a Star Wars novel a night for amonth or to until you get all caught up.  (Looks for an innocent smiley w/ devil's horns...)