Author Topic: Got assaulted by muggers. Full report here.  (Read 3034 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Got assaulted by muggers. Full report here.
« on: May 16, 2005, 01:30:40 PM »
It was lunchtime at my high school, I walk up to purchase a burrito. My friend asks me if I want to get into a rumble, apparently some kids had jumped him for his cigarettes. I said no, went about my buisness.

Got the burrito, and was walking with a female friend when I see this group of 6 unfamiliar African American kids walking slow and casing people catches my attention. Too late!

"Gimme yo headphones."

I said no, made eye contact, and kept going. They kept engaging and following. I kept saying things like "i don't want any trouble, please leave me alone, yadda yadda." and they keep following. I (stupid) corner myself in a bus stop with these two homeless people I know. They engage the other 5 or so while the alpha male keeps talking to me, asking for my ipod and other things. I keep denying.

He makes a feint, probably to see if I was primed to hit him back, waited a second, and then hit me. It was a good one, although he didnt put any hip into it and had really bad aim. Caught right below the left cheekbone, didnt touch my lower jaw, so no brain jiggling and no eye damage. Just a little bruising and swelling.

I moved with it, letting the momentum dissapate, and then bounced back up. Must have looked worse because they were all running. Called the cops as soon as they were out of view.

Things I did poorly:
Didnt understand that the feint, and the putting on of a single black batters glove on the right hand was probably a bad sign.

Cornered myself.

Did not go into a higher state of alertness when I was told there were muggers about.

Did not make sure and have aspirin or something on me. I've got a headache like something fierce.

Things I did well:
Remembered descriptions well.

Understood the interaction. If I had given them my stuff, they would have had my stuff. If I had fought back, they could have easily killed me. There's no way to know for certain, or if I'm delusional, but I'm pretty sure that they were not primed for real violence. they didn't strike me as tough, just kids reaching out. I'll trade one punch in the face for an ipod.

Interacted with police well. Was concise and simple.

Stayed calm.

Made sure my female friend ran away.

Did not get my pride and survival sense mixed up.

Kept my dignity and my life.

This is the first day in a long time that I didnt have shaggy hair or combat boots on, or wearing dark clothing. At 5'8" and 130 lbs I think I might have to go back to a more intimidating look.

What do you guys think?

Carring weapons was not an option, I'm in high school.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 02:00:11 PM »
Glad you're okay.

I got mugged for my headphones in high school too.  Hit in the head, too.  Wasn't fun.

What I did wrong: Tough city kid posturing (I went to high school in Jackson Ward, Richmond), would NOT give up the headphones.  Bad move, one small girl against two bigger, older guys.  Walking in alley alone (our school kept the front door locked, back door unlocked).

Pretty funny that when the cops collected my scattered belongings out of the parking lot to return to me, they were nice enough to return my stash, no questions asked.  Guess they didn't look inside.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 02:04:32 PM »
Usually one judges performance in such a situation by the outcome.  You're generally ok, you still have your property, and your injury sounds relatively minor.

Here are a few tips for next time:

Stop blocking with your head.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't run away from a fight, you should run to safety.  Obvious places with lots of people are good.  Bus stops are BAD.  I think it was the no-nonsense self defense guys who talk about just where these sorts of things happen.  They never occur in a place you're supposed to be, only in transit to a place you're supposed to be.  A stairwell is a good example.  A bus stop is another.

I've often wondered what would happen if you preemtively struck the alpha.  You'd have to lay him out in one shot, or have really good running shoes on, but it's something to think about.  I'm not saying you should try it unless you have the cavalry handy (and I mean the *real* cavalry.  Apaches, Abrams, etc.), but it's a thought.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 04:09:54 PM »
At 5'8" and 130 lbs I think I might have to go back to a more intimidating look.
I've got a better idea: sign up for karate classes. Added bonus: it's really all about serenity.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 05:44:39 PM »
Well, for starters, have you notified anyone?  Police, school officials?

Secondly, knife?  No one cared about knives in my high school (as long as you wern't goiong overboard like a Gurkha on your belt).  Or maybe pepper spray?

Third, were you on school grounds geting your burrito?  Or off campus?  Where was the bus stop?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Chris

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 06:40:09 PM »
Jeez.. Jack... ok first off.

You did good. You're still here; too often (and you know as well or perhaps better than I) that these 'interactions' often escalate until someone's dead. So 'HURRAY' for you.

Second off. Get thee to a dojo. You can't carry a weapon (even a completely defensive one) and come out of any confrontation without being labeled. Get some basic martial arts. I have no idea which ones; I'm too old and cranky to learn about what would be best for your particular situation so try a couple.

And last: what school do you go to? Just curious to make a note on my multi-leveled, foot-noted and triple annotated map of Our Fair City.

And on a completely unrelated note; when do you want to go shooting?

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 06:45:06 PM »
Jef-

He'll probably chime in on this, but given that he lives in San Freaksisco, I'd be willing to bet that the High screwel would really frown on even a knife.

A couple thoughts: if you've got a headache, your brain probably did get bounced, after all. More'n likely nothing to worry about, though. Probabaly happened before, probably happen again.

What would the screwel think about your developing a limp from a "knee injury while playing basketball with friends" and needing a cane or walking stick?
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 07:22:47 PM »
Guys, guys, I've  been taking martial arts for literally half my life. I am no joke in the sparring ring. I am undefeated in kendo amongs my classmates. I've taken Judo, Kenpo, Krav Maga and most recently Hapkido.

Knives are  BIIIIG no-no. Instant expulsion.

I did call the cops, filed a report; they knew some of the modus operandi by heart, (batters glove and all) so I suspect this may develop into some sort of court case.

I was off campus, it's an open campus. I was basically equidistant between school and the burrito place when it happened.

Heh, one time, in crazier days, I got a concussion playing football, kept playing, drank it off, took painkillers, then went to bed. so I think I'll make it through this.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 08:27:30 PM »
Winston, since it sonds like you've got the martial arts covered, I would say your comment:
This is the first day in a long time that I didnt have shaggy hair or combat boots on, or wearing dark clothing. At 5'8" and 130 lbs I think I might have to go back to a more intimidating look.
, is a fine idea. I noticed in high school that the folks I ran with didn't get bothered as much. Once I changed my look after high school, I didn't really get "bothered" due to my size, but I definitely got approached more.

Otherwise, sounds like you came out ok. Glad to hear it. You're one of the good guys.
Hi.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 08:48:06 PM »
Oops, didn't know you  lived in San Fran.  Knives are probably looked upon differently than in rural Michigan.

Pack on some pounds.  I too am 5-8.  When I went from 130 to 150, gained quite a bit of bulk, looked touher with it.  Same when I went from 150 to 175.  Go back to the combat boots.  Get some US Army BDU pants, not only will they give you that 'don't mess with me' look, they are also incredibly comfortable.

The only thing I would have done different, was to get to as populated of a place as you could have.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 10:28:00 PM »
If you can run, run.  You got out of this with a bruise.  What about next time?  All the alertness and open space in the world can't help you much if you're unarmed and aren't willing to run.  Why are you at all concerned about being cornered if you aren't willing to run?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 07:39:01 AM »
I can remember a day when guys had 8" hunting knives in a shealth on their belt and could walk the halls in peace.  
now they are intollerant of someone wanting to protect themselves and scared of upsetting those that inflict the intimidation and threat of violence.

My first sucker punch was in 7th grade.. I was leading a team in industrial arts class.. our project was to start a business make a product and complete with the other teams for profits.  I pretty much ran the thing since the other guys could care less.. we made tie-dye tshirts and blew the other teams out of the water making several hundred dollars.. the day we were counting our profits this big dumba@# bully that was a member of my team kept getting handsy and grabbing at the teams cash I challenged him several times about it.. then just out of nowhere my right jaw was aching and I was on my back on the table I was sitting on.  Of course he grabbed the cash and took off.  I don't know what he was thinking since he was caught moments later without a pass in the hall and of course we had an accurate count at that point.
I didn't mention his race because it was irrelavant, he was a life long prick and ended up in jail.

I wish we had more teachers like Coach Bell and Mr Brazil (some wild stories following that guy) they used to "break-up" fights by dragging the two parties by their ears..Bell just holding their earlobe, Brazil with his signature sopping wet finger in the ear as they flopped like a fish being realed in.  They would then put them in "the pit" a 20ft chainlink fence enclosed basketball court behind the school. And make them go at it.   Those two teachers influenced more lives than two hundred of the modern version of a teacher.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 10:35:42 AM »
My post from THR, verbatim:

One thing regarding iPods that I just can't understand--

The trademark sign of the iPod is the white headphones and cord, right?
So why not:
A) Unplug the cord and discard, and
B) Walk into Wal-Mart/Best Buy/Radio Shack/Ultimate Electronics/Circuit City/Bill's Two-Way Radios and BUY A DIFFERENT SET OF HEADPHONES?    

Dark clothing and shaggy hair will not protect you because they are only camoflage to keep you from being spotted and selected out from the herd/background.
Protect? Not in the strictest sense of the term... but avoiding being seen is always good. If they don't acknowledge your presence, you can get out of a sticky situation a lot quicker and easier.

I'd say you did well. You're not dead or badly injured (which is always a plus Smiley ), and you still have your iPod.

However, I'd recommend that you do what we did back in high school--get a pair of black headphones that are the in-ear bud type. Wear a long-sleeve shirt as well. Run the phones up through the shirt and down the arm so that they come out the sleeve of your weak arm. If you like, do the same thing with your cell phone earset through the other arm. That way, you can rest your head on your hand and listen to music whenever you want. Cheesy
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 11:48:52 AM »
In addition to Dionysusigma's suggestion of replacing the headphones, you might also pick up the cheapest old low-capacity MP3 player you can find.  If they ask for it and you think it's a truly untenable situation you can hand that to them.  Keep the iPod hidden under your clothes.

Oh, and congratulations on handling this as well as you could.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 01:39:56 PM »
"I've often wondered what would happen if you preemtively struck the alpha."

Years back when I was more prone to being attacked like Winston, I used that strategy. It works. It even works to loudly challenge the leader of the group (although I'd only recommend that if no other options were available).

Looking and dressing aggressive helps as well.

Direct eye contact can make a difference.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 03:03:31 PM »
Bill's Two-Way Radios
It's Terry's two-way, and they're closed.  Don't you drive by there twice a day?  Tongue
Protect? Not in the strictest sense of the term... but avoiding being seen is always good.
...And it also doesn't hurt that some of us are built like the incredible hulk.  Being 6'3" with shoulders that barely fit through the door makes you an unattractive target.

That said, doing what I can to make myself look like a cross between a grizzled drill instructor and an angry highway cop goes a looooong way in preventing altercations.  I'm only 6', 200lbs, and people tend to jump out of the way when I'm walking.

I don't want to mention any names (Todd), but a friend of mine was doing his best moron impression for a couple of idiots who cut us off.  When we arrived at our destination (walmart), we discovered that they were following.  They parked in front of us and over a few spaces, and headed our way on foot.  He jumped out of the jeep to go start a fight (instead of just driving off...  *sigh*), but they beat a hasty retreat when I stepped out of the car.  The tire iron and hefty crescent wrench were in my favor, but they couldn't see those for the door.  Appearance does really help, especially when the aggressors don't really want to fight (which is most of the time).

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 03:44:51 PM »
Lots of weapons aren't banned in schools. An unopened can of pop in your hand can be handy. A large D-Cell Flashlight works well, too.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 06:31:44 PM »
A bar of soap in a sock is one of the oldest weapons known to prisoners.

If confronted by school administrators, could you just say that you're particular about hygiene?

dinosaur

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 12:40:54 AM »
You say you're pretty well versed in the arts and you still took a punch to the head? I have to figure you don't have the proper mindset. You should've been able to slip a punch easily. What you do after that is up to you. Trapping yourself in the bus stop wasn't great tactics either. Open space is your friend.

There's an old saying, "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me". Don't let it happen again!

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 06:13:16 AM »
You're definitely right.. I should have seen the signs of an oncoming strike. And I shouldnt have cornered myself.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 03:52:26 AM »
My martial arts instructor has repeatedly said that even an expert can't be sure of dodging/blocking a punch from point-blank range.  Don't let a hostile / potentially hostile person get so close that they can hit you without having to move first.  If they are that close, you should be the one striking.  (And make sure you explain to the police that they were threatening you, wouldn't back off when you loudly told them to keep away, and that you feared for your life/safety and did what you believed necessary to protect yourself).

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005, 04:56:53 PM »
If you want to avoid a fight, move to avoid such people, running seems pansy, but its better than a black eye, or worse.  

If you do have to stand your ground, consider a Surefire with a 'tactical bezel', clearly not a weapon, but can easily be used as a kubaton.  

Regarding the iPod thing, if you want to avoid fights, like they say, switch earphones.  If you want a fight, say, "This is my iPod, what are you going to do about it."

When i was a little younger than you, I got involved in something similar.  Although in my case I provoked them.  Made the mistake of getting cornered by two toughs.  I knew a punch was coming, but took it like a wanker.  Had I used my massive karate/aikido skills, I could have turned the first punch, but then what?  I'd have had two kids who outweighed me by 50 pounds... each pounding on me.  Better to take one like a champ, than be curled up on the ground in a ball getting kicked.  

I got punched, "Fool me once..."

Now, when I'm in condition orange, I've got my right hand on my tactical folder in my pocket, and my left hand freed up from any encumbrances I have.  If an immediate threat becomes visible, I'll try and handle it the best eye can.

atek3