Author Topic: Doomed. Doomed, I tell you. (Part Whatever)  (Read 3731 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Doomed. Doomed, I tell you. (Part Whatever)
« on: February 21, 2015, 02:39:40 PM »
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/02/20/rasmussen-plurality-of-democrats-think-obama-should-be-able-to-ignore-court-rulings-if-its-important/

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 26% of Likely U.S. Voters think the president should have the right to ignore federal court rulings if they are standing in the way of actions he feels are important for the country…

But perhaps more unsettling to supporters of constitutional checks and balances is the finding that 43% of Democrats believe the president should have the right to ignore the courts. Only 35% of voters in President Obama’s party disagree, compared to 81% of Republicans and 67% of voters not affiliated with either major party…

[W]hile 72% of GOP voters and 63% of unaffiliateds believe it is more important to preserve our constitutional system of checks and balances than for the federal government to operate efficiently, Democrats are evenly divided…

Women and younger voters feel more strongly than men and those 40 and older that the president should have the right to ignore federal court rulings. Black voters believe that more than whites and other minority voters do.

I'm going to lay this at the feet of that whole "self esteem" "there are no losers" educrap that started in the 50s and really blossomed by the 80s.

It's more important to FEEL than it is to know, and even if you know it's still more important that things are done in a way that does not effect anybody's self esteem by making the feel like losers.  And everybody knows that all the courts do is divide people into winners and losers.

One of the first things I'm going to do when it's my turn to use the Wayback Machine is to go slap Dr. Benjamin Spock up side the head - repeatedly.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Doomed. Doomed, I tell you. (Part Whatever)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 05:39:49 PM »
One of my friends on FB is of a slightly darker complexion then yours truly.  In his eyes, Obama can do no wrong.

And he thinks that Obama should just be able to do what he wants.  What many people don't relieve is that the Founding Fathers did not want "efficiency"  they wanted to make it as difficult as possible to get anything done, because they knew that the only thing .gov can do is screw *expletive deleted*it up.

A legislature like Texas', where they only meet once every two years is far to often.   Only an overt Act of War towards the US should be the only reason to call Congress into session outside of that regular meeting time.

Congressional session last 30 days every two years.  Goes along with my Mandatory Sunset of every law after seven years Constitutional Amendment. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: Doomed. Doomed, I tell you. (Part Whatever)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
One of my friends on FB is of a slightly darker complexion then yours truly.  In his eyes, Obama can do no wrong.

And he thinks that Obama should just be able to do what he wants.  What many people don't relieve is that the Founding Fathers did not want "efficiency"  they wanted to make it as difficult as possible to get anything done, because they knew that the only thing .gov can do is screw *expletive deleted*it up.

A legislature like Texas', where they only meet once every two years is far to often.   Only an overt Act of War towards the US should be the only reason to call Congress into session outside of that regular meeting time.

Congressional session last 30 days every two years.  Goes along with my Mandatory Sunset of every law after seven years Constitutional Amendment. 

You'll have to end bureaucratic "rule-making" first.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 07:14:10 PM »

And he thinks that Obama should just be able to do what he wants. 

So... He's an imbecile?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 08:07:37 PM »
I'm going to lay this at the feet of that whole "self esteem" "there are no losers" educrap that started in the 50s and really blossomed by the 80s.

The notion that Presidents should be able to ignore court rulings has been popular - very popular long before the 20th century had even started.

Certainly by the 1930s FDR was already happily rabble-rousing against the Court.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 11:52:11 PM »
The notion that Presidents should be able to ignore court rulings has been popular - very popular long before the 20th century had even started.

Certainly by the 1930s FDR was already happily rabble-rousing against the Court.

Wasn't it President Andrew Jackson who said of the Supreme Court; "they've made their decision, now let us see them enforce it." This regarding "the trail of tears," if I recall.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 11:54:53 PM »

Yup.  Lincoln ignored a number of Supreme Court rulings.

And got away with it.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 12:04:32 AM »
I SAID that racism was rampant in the last two elections - there's a certain part of the electorate to whom skin color is SUCH an overwhelming qualifier they would cheerfully vote for Idi Amin had he been running against Mother Theresa.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 01:16:04 AM »
Wasn't it President Andrew Jackson who said of the Supreme Court; "they've made their decision, now let us see them enforce it." This regarding "the trail of tears," if I recall.

It's a bit mythical.

This was the context.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 03:52:54 AM »

And got away with it.

All true, but has nothing to do with the current state of affairs where vast swaths of the population are expressing approval for the behavior.

It wasn't until LBJ that a vast swath of the population expressed an opinion about what POTUS was doing - and that swath was opposed to him.  Reagan had a much smaller swath that supported him, but that was more agreeing with his philosophy than active support of his political acts.

Now we have a significant plurality that does not care that POTUS's actions are unconstitutional, illegal, and/or fattening.  In fact, they see sidestepping all of those bothersome and icky procedural and legal issues as A Good ThingTM.  Seems to me that about 1/3 of those in the plurality are from the "He's one of us racially" camp and the other 2/3 are from the "He's a liberal like us" camp.  In either case "their side" finally gets to be winners.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 04:40:26 AM »
It wasn't until LBJ that a vast swath of the population expressed an opinion about what POTUS was doing - and that swath was opposed to him. 

Are you suggesting FDR had no popular support?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 09:32:46 AM »
FDR had popular support for the outcomes of his programs, but there was no large number of folks saying that they loved him and what he was doing in spite of blatantly violating existing law, ignoring the constitution, etc.

It's that whole "we know it's unconstitutional/illegal and he should be allowed to do even more of that" which is the phenomenon under discussion.

stay safe.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 11:09:36 AM »
Hitler had MASSIVE support from german citizenry and also ignored his courts.
FDR is seen as good guy because he didn't mass murder people along ethnic/racial lines, he merely put them in concentration camps.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 12:26:41 PM »
FDR is seen as good guy because he didn't mass murder people along ethnic/racial lines, he merely put them in concentration camps.

IIRC Hitler eventually put Nazi judges in charge of Nazi courts so they would "rubber-stamp" his policies.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 04:38:03 PM »

It's more important to FEEL than it is to know, and even if you know it's still more important that things are done in a way that does not effect anybody's self esteem by making the feel like losers.  And everybody knows that all the courts do is divide people into winners and losers.

It's also a function of NOT teaching the Constitution in middle school or high school ... or (worse) inculcating the notion that the Constitution is old and out-dated. Or that the Constitution is a "living document," to be interpreted through the lens of modern (what passes for) society.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 06:55:47 PM »

IIRC Hitler eventually put Nazi judges in charge of Nazi courts so they would "rubber-stamp" his policies.

Let us not forget Emperor Hirohito, Mao, Pol Pot, Stalin, Atilla, the French Revolution, almost every Roman emperor, the Mayan and Incan rulers whose names I cannot spell, and bunches and bunches more.

And while we are not forgetting all of those folks/regiemes let us not forget that the discussion started about a major change in the political behavior of Americans, and that the change was not linked to world history but the response to one specific individual.

I now return you to the usual APS thread drift.

stay safe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 04:56:04 PM »
Are we headed for a repeat of Rome?  Moving to a Dictatorship/Emporer phase?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 04:48:59 AM »
What happens in the next three years should tells us.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 06:18:29 AM »

And got away with it.

True.

'ceptin' he got hisself kilt ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 06:19:33 AM »
This is what a Republic dying of old age looks like.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.