Author Topic: HSUS loses charity rating  (Read 3749 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
HSUS loses charity rating
« on: February 25, 2015, 06:18:19 PM »
What just about everybody already know comes home to roost.

http://www.awesomeocean.com/2014/07/31/breaking-hsus-loses-charity-rating/

When you think of the HSUS you automatically think of the saintly organization that operates shelters nationwide and saves hundreds of thousands of animals, the organization that stands up for the adorable and abused animals in TV commercials, and above all you probably believe this is the organization that big-hearted animal lovers should donate to. Right?

Wrong. All those associations are complete crap.

The HSUS has historically bragged about their 4-star rating from Charity Navigator, one of the most trust-worthy charity evaluators in the game. Recently, they were downgraded to a 3-star rating and now their rating has been completely revoked, a "Donor Advisory" warning taking its place.

The deceiving game of bait-and-switch has been played for years, with the HSUS inviting misplaced associations between themselves and local animal shelters (sometimes called Humane Societies). To put this in perspective, let's break down what this despicable organization did ....

C&SD - is that Stafford case still progressing?  Might be fun to throw this in the mix.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: HSUS loses charity rating
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:31:56 AM »
Oh they lost a star...big whoop. That aint gonna slow them down much.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:12:30 AM »

Reading is fundamental.  You don't get a gold star.

Chris

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:37:31 AM »

They did lose a star. The downgrading is largely due to the $16m RICO lawsuit against them.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:04:12 AM »
Guys, they lost a star, then lost everything.

The HSUS has historically bragged about their 4-star rating from Charity Navigator, one of the most trust-worthy charity evaluators in the game. Recently, they were downgraded to a 3-star rating and now their rating has been completely revoked, a "Donor Advisory" warning taking its place.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:42:51 AM »
This is saying they don't actually fund any animal shelters. 
A film crew would go to a local humane society pet shelter and film some of the cute, cuddly, abused animals that volunteers dedicate their lives to rescuing. Those commercials would air on national television, pulling on America's heartstrings and leading unsuspecting viewers to believe that the HSUS had a hand in rescuing that animal or providing care after the rescue.

Want the truth? The HSUS didn't have anything to do with rescuing that animal. They didn't provide medical assistance or care for that animal and that poor animal won't see a penny of your donation. They scandalously only give 1% of their budget to local pet shelters and the HSUS doesn't even operate one pet shelter of its own. Yes, you read that correctly. Even though 85% of their fundraising propaganda features shelter animals, they do not operate a single local pet shelter.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:46:18 AM »
http://www.humanewatch.org/hsus-and-co-defendants-pay-15-75-million-in-racketeering-lawsuit/
Here is a link on the RICO lawsuit. More "ends justify the means" attitude and it came back to bite them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »
This is saying they don't actually fund any animal shelters. 

They don't. 

All they do is lobby against Hunting and "owning" animals/pets.  They are a bunch of animal rights wacko's that use false advertising to raise money.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 10:25:32 AM »
And they are trying really hard to ban e-collars for dog training.  It's a reasonable analog to the anti-gun argument: because some idiots use them incorrectly nobody should be able to use them.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »
Wow. Just...wow. Their commercials always tugged at my heartstrings. It's a good thing all the money I felt a bit guilty about not donating went towards the critters I rescued myself.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 01:45:48 PM »
Wow. Just...wow. Their commercials always tugged at my heartstrings. It's a good thing all the money I felt a bit guilty about not donating went towards the critters I rescued myself.

You do more for animals than HSUS...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »

Good for you. 

I can not help ALL critters, but I know SOME critters that I can square away.  I think the general guideline should not be "I want to help critters, so I will give $$$ to <faceless_critter_nonprofit>," but instead, "I want to help critters, so I will look around me, where I live, and help those critters I find." PLENTY of opportunities locally there is no need of telescopic philanthropy.  (Same thing goes when "human" is substituted for "critters.")

A bag of dog food, an offer to spay/neuter/pay vet bill the pet of someone fallen on hard times, adopt a critter, etc.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 07:02:19 PM »
Good for you. 

I can not help ALL critters, but I know SOME critters that I can square away.  I think the general guideline should not be "I want to help critters, so I will give $$$ to <faceless_critter_nonprofit>," but instead, "I want to help critters, so I will look around me, where I live, and help those critters I find." PLENTY of opportunities locally there is no need of telescopic philanthropy.  (Same thing goes when "human" is substituted for "critters.")

A bag of dog food, an offer to spay/neuter/pay vet bill the pet of someone fallen on hard times, adopt a critter, etc.

"Think globally, act locally"

I approve.  :old:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 09:52:54 PM »
Funny this one finally sunk in with the wife. I told here a while ago to stop donating to them.
There is a local ish rescue that she has taken old blankets, towels, and other stuff to. Hopefully she will just give them the cash instead.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 04:25:26 PM »
since the  mass media won't report this, and you KNOW that HSUS won't report this on their appeals, it will go totally unnoticed.  Business as usual.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 05:42:25 PM »
Are they still running their ads?

(I don't have TV, so I wouldn't know if they were or not.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.