Author Topic: If we say it's worth X, as opposed to the government saying it ...  (Read 2824 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
will paper money still be of value?

http://reason.com/blog/2015/05/18/control-freaks-solution-to-shadow-econom

Like precious metals you can't wear it or eat it.  But also like precious metals it is more difficult to track it or what you do with it.

But my biggest fear is not even how easily teh goobermint can take credits away but how very likely teh goobermint's computers are to mis-, mal-, and/or non-function all on their own.

And just for the sake of Godwining this before anybody else has a chance to - why does it seem it's always the Germans who are coming up with crap like this?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: If we say it's worth X, as opposed to the government saying it ...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:52:38 AM »
They are still pissed that they got beat in both World Wars and think they have something to prove and are still trying to take over the world one way or another.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:04:54 AM »
I think it was those wheelbarrows full of marks to buy a loaf of bread during the Weimar Republic.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »
I think it was those wheelbarrows full of marks to buy a loaf of bread during the Weimar Republic.

After watching prior generations lose all their money in the WW1-2 years, my dad refused to keep a bunch of money in the bank or to invest in the stock market after he came to this country. He only ever bought land because it was "something real that he could see" and could provide if everything else went to crap. Even when people lost all their money in Germany, if they had paid off land, they could at least provide for most of their needs, which is what his family did.

To the OP, there's way too much "cashless society" talk, even in the US for that matter, for my taste. Even that bastion of "staunch conservatism", Fox Business, has way too many Wall St analysts, etc. that come on and talk about the benefits of cashless society.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:41:11 AM »
There's a lot of infrastructure and expense necessary to make cash work.  There's also more potential for risk, error, and loss with cash.

That doesn't mean that cashless is better, just that we shouldn't forget the other side of the equation. There are sound reasons, completely unrelated to government control, favoring cashless transactions.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:52:03 AM »

To the OP, there's way too much "cashless society" talk, even in the US for that matter, for my taste. Even that bastion of "staunch conservatism", Fox Business, has way too many Wall St analysts, etc. that come on and talk about the benefits of cashless society.

Same sort who want amnesty an a buttload more H1B visas.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
The whole 'cashless society' talk is because .gov is getting desperate.
The parasite has outgrown the host and no matter how many more regulations and taxes they put on people, they can't squeeze anything more taxes out.
People pushed hard enough will take their business underground or simply go 'galt' and decide its easier to collect payments from the government than do anything productive.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 05:34:02 PM »
There's a lot of infrastructure and expense necessary to make cash work.  There's also more potential for risk, error, and loss with cash.

That doesn't mean that cashless is better, just that we shouldn't forget the other side of the equation. There are sound reasons, completely unrelated to government control, favoring cashless transactions.

I can totally see the operational efficiency in going cashless. This is just one area where I'm happy to pay more taxes for an infrastructure that still allows me to make everyday purchases without every damn thing being tracked. Or sell a  car and put the proceeds in a safe if I want to, versus an electronic vault.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 09:36:36 PM »
Also, if the govt wants to sieze your money, they just need to hit a button.  With cash, they at least need to have the uniformed guys show up to do it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 09:38:20 PM »
Regardless, if cash goes away, something will replace it as amedium of exchange.  People won't just all go electronic.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 10:39:30 PM »
Regardless, if cash goes away, something will replace it as amedium of exchange.  People won't just all go electronic.

Guesses as to what? Not calling you out - I'm genuinely curious about what tangible items (i.e., not Bitcoin or other "dark" electronic currencies) that would work as easily as cash and be available in large enough quantities, and also I guess, as desirable to amass and as compact in size.

Gold, I suppose could be one. Gems would be too difficult as they require in-depth knowledge, and often special equipment to separate the natural from the synthetic. Either would be difficult to use at the grocery store or a restaurant.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
Guesses as to what? Not calling you out - I'm genuinely curious about what tangible items (i.e., not Bitcoin or other "dark" electronic currencies) that would work as easily as cash and be available in large enough quantities, and also I guess, as desirable to amass and as compact in size.

Gold, I suppose could be one. Gems would be too difficult as they require in-depth knowledge, and often special equipment to separate the natural from the synthetic. Either would be difficult to use at the grocery store or a restaurant.

Could be damn near anything. I seem to recall we had a thread here at one point about how Tide laundry detergent had become a defacto currency, IIRC in order to facilitate trading EBT welfare for cash or drugs, and how Tide became a major theft item because of it.

Doesn't have to be any one thing, either. Could be a whole slew of things. Anything that people agree has value and is somewhat easily carted around.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 03:36:03 AM »
Who runs Bartertown?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 11:17:21 AM »
Could be damn near anything. I seem to recall we had a thread here at one point about how Tide laundry detergent had become a defacto currency, IIRC in order to facilitate trading EBT welfare for cash or drugs, and how Tide became a major theft item because of it.

Doesn't have to be any one thing, either. Could be a whole slew of things. Anything that people agree has value and is somewhat easily carted around.
The laundry detergent was the first thing in my mind also.  (don't let that scare you). 

I just think the fantasy that the underground economy will suddenly stop being underground is just a fantasy.  Most of it will remain underground and just find a new way to do it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 11:30:28 AM »
I just think the fantasy that the underground economy will suddenly stop being underground is just a fantasy.  Most of it will remain underground and just find a new way to do it.

This I understand. I have no numbers, but a guess would suggest that at least 75% of current cash dealings aren't underground economy. I just can't see Joe Suburbia switching from cash to laundry detergent. There either has to be a substitute that's just like cash that Walmart will accept, or else I suspect the majority of current cash users will just submit to electronic money. I'm sure some people will mostly submit, but also jump into the underground economy for some purchases. I'd probably end up being one of those people.