Author Topic: What does it mean to be opposed to the left/Democrats/progressives?  (Read 3089 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: What does it mean to be opposed to the left/Democrats/progressives?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 02:15:43 PM »
How would lowering the voting age to 16 violate the 26th Amendment?  (I assume that's what you're talking about)  Read it carefully.
It would be stupid, but IMHO would be constitutional.

I have read the 26th Amendment carefully.

The wording clearly establishes the minimum age for voting in Federal elections. In essence, it creates the basement and you can't go lower than that established basement without changing the Constitution or without an action by a Federal court nullifying that section.

Section 1 states: "The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

Congress could pass a law saying 10 year olds could vote in Federal elections, but it would be challenged, and likely overturned, on the clear basis of the wording in Section 1.

The phrase "on account of age" clearly means that Congress can't pass a law saying that yeah, you're 20, but we're still not going to let you vote.

But the phrase "on account of age" does NOT nullify "18 years & older" to give those under 18 the vote.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: What does it mean to be opposed to the left/Democrats/progressives?
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 02:22:08 PM »
26A says citizens age 18+ shall not be denied the right to vote on account of their age.  It is silent about 16 and 17 year-olds.

No. It's not. As I said below, 18 years and older establishes the basement allowable age for voting in Federal elections. By setting the mark at 18, it automatically denies the vote to those 17 and younger.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.