Author Topic: BP Hunting Kit  (Read 576 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
BP Hunting Kit
« on: February 24, 2023, 03:29:04 PM »
I've got a Lyman Great Plains .54cal rifle that I've had for a few years now, but I've never taken it out as my chosen hunting rifle.  Put in for bull elk muzzleloader season this year.

Been thinking of what I need to go out on foggy/dewey or even rainy October days in AZ White Mountain country, figured I might ask the hivemind here for best practices while hunting with a cap gun.

I learn towards not discharging it at the end of the day, unless it's been a rainy or very damp day; hunt several days on the same charge, possibly all week if I don't see anything.  I figure I'll probably have to toss the percussion cap each day?  That gets exposed to a lot more air/moisture than the charge down the barrel, I figure.

I don't really want to have to bring my brass powder measure and dispenser since they're slow and fussy to use, so I'm going to instead take a few pre-filled plastic tubes with my powder charges, and a loading board with half a dozen balls and wads inserted in it.  Then a percussion capper, and a ball starter, and just the rifle and its loading rod.  All this in a sling bag over my shoulder or fanny pack or something like that, secured so it doesn't flop or bang around.  Mostly just thinking in case I have a need for a follow up shot from the same spot as quickly as possible.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: BP Hunting Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 04:20:08 PM »
Little beeswax around the cap after it is on? I use a lot that is cut with mineral oil to make it soft. Or heat it up away from the powder. Condom on the muzzle? I haven’t gotten out much, I got a nice little Thompson 50 cal that needs a hunt. Only thing I won’t do is I was being cheap and reused a sabot I punched out of my inline. Pretty sure it never came off the bullet, missed an easy shot over that.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 06:11:33 PM »
When I shot cap & ball revolvers, I used a tube of white lithium grease over the seated rounds as a lube and flash-over preventative.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 07:06:14 PM »
If you go the grease route, I would definitely do some testing at home first to make sure the grease doesn't interfere. Otherwise caps are cheap, relatively speaking. I have the same rifle as you. I've never hunted with it, but I recall the only time I've had misfires is when cleaning with windex between rounds but not doing due diligence on cleaning the nipple.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 10:35:02 PM »
I've left mine loaded for over a month. As long as the nipple doesn't get wet, I've had no problem. For inline I have left them loaded for a year.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 12:38:56 AM »
I've left mine loaded for over a month. As long as the nipple doesn't get wet, I've had no problem. For inline I have left them loaded for a year.

If you're keeping loaded for that long, I'll bet you're using Pyrodex or some other "non-black" substitute.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 12:51:24 PM »
I've got a Lyman Great Plains .54cal rifle that I've had for a few years now, but I've never taken it out as my chosen hunting rifle.  Put in for bull elk muzzleloader season this year.

Been thinking of what I need to go out on foggy/dewey or even rainy October days in AZ White Mountain country, figured I might ask the hivemind here for best practices while hunting with a cap gun.

I learn towards not discharging it at the end of the day, unless it's been a rainy or very damp day; hunt several days on the same charge, possibly all week if I don't see anything.  I figure I'll probably have to toss the percussion cap each day?  That gets exposed to a lot more air/moisture than the charge down the barrel, I figure.

I don't really want to have to bring my brass powder measure and dispenser since they're slow and fussy to use, so I'm going to instead take a few pre-filled plastic tubes with my powder charges, and a loading board with half a dozen balls and wads inserted in it.  Then a percussion capper, and a ball starter, and just the rifle and its loading rod.  All this in a sling bag over my shoulder or fanny pack or something like that, secured so it doesn't flop or bang around.  Mostly just thinking in case I have a need for a follow up shot from the same spot as quickly as possible.

sounds like you got your possible's bag figured out.

Check out this for covering the lock. https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/leatherman-lock-cover/

maybe make your own out of neoprene or heavy vinyl.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 11:26:54 AM »
Thanks Charby, a lock cover was on my list of next things to explore.  I think I'll look into making my own.  I have some leatherworking tools and a few leather scraps that should suffice.

With a Lyman GPR with a 32" barrel and 1:60 twist, can I shoot minnies in it at all rather than round ball?  I've never tried.

That, and my load development time is spring-summer in the Arizona desert, while my time to actually use such a load to effect is fall in the White mountains, a good 50-70 degrees cooler and 7000 feet higher.  Borderline stability in one environment can become unusable in the other.  Not sure what kind of twist and velocity minnies need, but it'd be nice to have a little more SD and punch than a round ball, especially if I get drawn for bull instead of cow.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 01:16:46 PM »
With a Lyman GPR with a 32" barrel and 1:60 twist, can I shoot minnies in it at all rather than round ball?  I've never tried.

That, and my load development time is spring-summer in the Arizona desert, while my time to actually use such a load to effect is fall in the White mountains, a good 50-70 degrees cooler and 7000 feet higher.  Borderline stability in one environment can become unusable in the other.  Not sure what kind of twist and velocity minnies need, but it'd be nice to have a little more SD and punch than a round ball, especially if I get drawn for bull instead of cow.

I read somewhere you can get a 209 primer conversation for the Lyman GP, that might be something to look at if primitive season allows for it.

That is a twist for patch and ball, which will have no problem killing an elk with proper range and shot placement. That being said, I would pick up some minnies and try it out, you may get the results you are looking for.

I have a 1:48 twist .50 T/C and it barely shoots under an 8" group (minute of deer) at 100yards with patch and ball, good enough to kill a deer, but not the accuracy I want. It does really shine with .45 bullet in a .50 sabot and 110g of Pyrodex.

I switched to a modern inline several years ago with a 209 primer and using Buckhorn 209 powder with 290g sabot bullet. Iowa whitetail deer are DRT out to 200 yards easy with it. I have a Burris 2-7x33 scope on it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 01:26:54 PM »
Well, it seems the only thing you are missing is a raccoon cap and a hunter's sandwich. I can't help with the hat but here is a recipe for the sandwich. I will vouch for the recipe, this is one serious sandwich.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/apr/07/how-to-make-shooters-sandwich

bob

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 05:17:24 PM »
Well, it seems the only thing you are missing is a raccoon cap and a hunter's sandwich. I can't help with the hat but here is a recipe for the sandwich. I will vouch for the recipe, this is one serious sandwich.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/apr/07/how-to-make-shooters-sandwich

bob

Lol, I have a coon cap that was mine as a kid that I recently passed down to my boy.  I don't think I've seen a racoon here in AZ, ever.  Plenty of skunks, even coatimundi, but I haven't yet seen a coon.  AZGFD says they're around, but even my night time jaunts in the woods turn up nothing but skunk.

That is an impressive sammich.  I showed it to Alexis and I think we're going to give that thing a try one of these days, maybe take it as fuel for a day hike or something.  I know my boy won't like it because mushrooms, and I don't really care for shrooms either, but I'd make an exception for that monster.  Wow.
--Lysander Spooner

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2023, 04:16:03 PM »
This was my last BP toy, a .44 Navy model:

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2023, 05:02:37 PM »
Had pne of these, gave it to Son1.  I even had the .45 Colt cylinder for it.

Among the prettiest guns I ever had.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2023, 06:32:25 PM »
When I was playing with cap and ball revolvers, I used  crisco shortening over the balls, and had it flush with the end of the chamber.
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2023, 08:41:22 PM »
When I shot cap & ball revolvers, I used a tube of white lithium grease over the seated rounds as a lube and flash-over preventative.

I generally used lard or Crisco for that.
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 03:13:44 PM »

bob

Tried it.  Loved it.  Thanks!

--Lysander Spooner

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 04:56:50 PM »
Tried it.  Loved it.  Thanks!

Now you have made me crave one of these, I guess I will hit the store today for the makings. Glad you liked it.

bob