Author Topic: Stubbornness pays off, $74 worth  (Read 286 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Stubbornness pays off, $74 worth
« on: March 10, 2023, 04:23:23 PM »
Had the Ford at the dealer for service. The service report indicated oil changed, tires, brakes, fluid levels. Etc  all checked
Battery BAD- Needs replaced.
Wiper blades- need replaced
I bought wiper blades and priced a new battery. Turns out best price was the dealer.
Old battery was dealer installed motorcraft. Even though it was labeled 36 month full replacement and 100 month prorated, I was repeatedly assured by the parts manager that my 54 month old battery was not covered. He told me they discontinued that warranty and all batteries were 36 month only.
I took a new motorcraft replacement home to install. When I brought the old one in I argued that the warranty on the battery itself should be the warranty in force. He gave me the same story and said it wasn’t any good and even if it was I wouldn’t get much. 3 times he told me what a pain in the arse it was to get warranty service, especially without the original receipt. I reminded him that they installed it.
Then I produced the original receipt and placed a copy on the counter in front of him. I said you can call whoever or you can tell me who to call.
He grumbled some more, said it wouldn’t do any good, blah blah blah.
Today he called me and said that due to all his hard work and diligence (not his exact words), I had a $74 credit coming.
Hey, better in my pocket than somebody else’s.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

griz

• friend
Re: Stubbornness pays off, $74 worth
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 05:42:13 PM »
He explained that it was too much paperwork for him to do in order to get it covered?  I think I would go in full Karen mode at that point.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 06:09:14 PM »
As a point of interest, O'Reilly's sells motorcraft batteries at a good price.  I just had to replace mine.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 06:13:17 PM »
First he insisted that the warranty wasn’t the warranty. “Somebody made a mistake and there was supposed to be a label or something over the label on the battery” He said everything changed back around that time (meaning the date on my battery). There was no warranty after 36 months and he would have to call someone at Ford/motorcraft and they would say the same thing and even if they didn’t, it’s a pain in the ass to do “the whole prorate thing” and it wouldn’t amount to much if anything anyway even if it did.
I was relentless, I won.
Today I stopped in and got $74.67 credited back to my card. I thanked him.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 06:14:54 PM »
As a point of interest, O'Reilly's sells motorcraft batteries at a good price.  I just had to replace mine.
I actually bought the wipers at oreillys and priced a battery there. It was $30 more than the dealer.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 07:02:11 PM »
Hey, better in my pocket than somebody else’s.

Like the parts guy at the Ford dealer? =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 08:43:35 PM »
Like the parts guy at the Ford dealer? =D
My thoughts exactly.
7-11 was a part time job.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 09:12:05 PM »
I don’t ask for much. Just don’t F*** me.
I’m not unreasonable, just do the right thing and provide the service I pay for.
And do not pee on me and tell me it’s raining.
A warranty can change going forward but it’s not retroactive.