Author Topic: Vehicle issue fixed simple  (Read 569 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Vehicle issue fixed simple
« on: March 28, 2021, 10:21:48 AM »
In the Well, I’ll be damned category...
2014 Jeep JKU (“X” version enhanced rubicon) had recently been losing power at higher RPMs. Intermittent problem. Seemed to be getting worse. Most noticeable when going uphill and the auto downshifts. 55k miles, no codes, engine and trans temps fine. It was really bugging me. Enough that I thought I was going to have to go to the Jeep stealership for help.
Then a video popped up on my YouTube feed. Some guy had the same problem and had spent $1600 on repairs with no improvement before finding the real problem.
Hood insulation.
I said to myself naw, no way it could be that simple.
I went out, opened the hood and there it was. I had inspected everything under the hood but never looked up at the inside of the power dome hood.
The insulation was torn and frayed right at one of plastic retainers and hanging just loose enough to get sucked down over the air intake. I could see an impression from where it was choking it off.
10 seconds with a razor knife and problem no more.
Thank you mr YouTube guy.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Re: Vehicle issue fixed simple
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 11:46:25 AM »
The right answer is usually the simplest one, or something like that.  I think some great philosopher said that back aways.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 10:22:59 AM »
I rescued a lady with a quickie method I "developed," "invented," "thought up" myself.  Her car wouldn't crank, but would kerchunk the solenoid.  I told her I could try something, no guarantees, no liability, she agreed.

I took a Phillips head screwdriver and stuck the point in between the battery post and the connector and whacked it with a small wrench.  Repeated around that gap, repeated on the other terminal.

"Try it now."

Started right up, effusive gratitude, money offered, refused, told her to get the battery checked and to have the posts cleaned, and have a nice day.

That good deed lasted about five days on my "good deed a day" ledger.

Better than any money, eh?

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:18:32 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 03:40:38 PM »
I had been researching a bunch of expensive possibles and was thinking maybe a fuel pump issue. Once I looked for it, it was hard to see how I could miss it. But with hood open, the mat of insulation was pretty much in place. It only sagged when hood was down but there was an impression of the outline of the air intake.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 04:46:54 PM »
I once "fixed" a motorcycle with a similar problem.  The guy had been having intermittent  issues, sometimes it would run like crap after starting.  No power, blubbering big time.  Fortunately he brought it in to the shop while it was acting up.  He had put his gloves under the seat, right over the intake of the airbox.  Happy customer, no charge.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 05:14:45 PM »
I once "fixed" a motorcycle with a similar problem.  The guy had been having intermittent  issues, sometimes it would run like crap after starting.  No power, blubbering big time.  Fortunately he brought it in to the shop while it was acting up.  He had put his gloves under the seat, right over the intake of the airbox.  Happy customer, no charge.

That one should have been worth a least a 6-pack.  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 10:30:15 PM »
It’s easy to neglect the air intake system when troubleshooting issues because nobody ever really thinks about it and what an issue with it can cause.

I tell our apprentices to NEVER neglect the simple basics and never write something off as good with a cursory glance at it because that is what will bite you in the ass.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 11:06:25 PM »
Basic fire triangle: fuel, air, heat(spark).
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 04:26:48 PM »
"K.I.S.S."  =D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”