Author Topic: Weapon Lights - Rifle  (Read 826 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Weapon Lights - Rifle
« on: March 31, 2021, 09:08:48 AM »
What do you guys like for weapon lights for your ARs? I'm looking for something with a remote pressure switch vs the TLR style lights that I already use on pistols and shotguns. Surefire is out because at some point I have to create a "budget line" and Surefire is simply over that for non-operator Ben.

I've been browsing Streamlights an O-Lights, though Primary Arms also has quite a few lights that look comparable but with names I've not heard of. I'm thinking they are not cheap knockoffs and could be in the mix. I've been watching a lot of Garand Thumb videos lately, and 90% of the time, he recommends some brand that I've never heard of, so  I reckon there are a lot of choices out there that are good, but wouldn't be found on Amazon.

I'm leaning to higher lumens, since it's for farm defense, but intensity adjustments are desirable.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Weapon Lights - Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 09:59:31 AM »
I still run the old Surefire G3 flashlight on my rifles.  There are better lights available now, but I don't have a desire to change, yet.  I do have one Inforce WML, which is brighter than my G3s, but I just don't like it for some reason.

That said, the newer O-lights look good, although right now, I lean toward the Modlight line-up. I like the modularity they offer.  They are a bit more expensive, though.

Whatever you get, try to get a light that has a long throw, with a tight beam.  You'll need that for night-time farming.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 10:10:14 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 10:18:09 AM »
A bit too smoky and it is more difficult to turn them off and on.  Of course, if your weapon is to throw cups of gasoline at the intruder, that changes things.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »
I just run a bunch of Streamlight TLR-1's because I'm poor.

Never bothered with a pressure switch or remote. Too lazy to invest in setting that up.

I just have a Suburban house with small lots so a ton of throw has never been a big deal to me.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 10:50:54 AM »
Whatever you get, try to get a light that has a long throw, with a tight beam.  You'll need that for night-time farming.

That's definitely what I want.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 11:41:04 AM »

Never bothered with a pressure switch or remote. Too lazy to invest in setting that up.
I just use TLRs on my rifles too.  Mounted in the right position and it's easy to activate with the support hand.  Plus it's easy to dismount if necessary.

Many years ago I did set up a rifle with a light that used a pressure switch but never was happy with it and always seemed to be activating it when I didn't want to or not able to activate it when I did.  I'm sure better equipment is available now, however.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 12:35:44 PM »
A while back, I got one of the Veridian green lights.  My Dad has used it out in the woods and likes it. 

I don't usually prefer the pressure switch.  I kept it simple and have a couple of the Inforce rail mounted lights.  The 800 lumen version has a pretty good beam.

If you want a hand held light that has a very very good beam, the olight javelot is 1300 lumens in a very tight beam that will put light hundreds of yards out there.  It says it has a 1300 meter distance and I believe that.
https://www.olightstore.com/javelotturbobk.html
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 12:38:54 PM »
A while back, I got one of the Veridian green lights.  My Dad has used it out in the woods and likes it. 
Scout and competed against each other in a laser based shooting competition at the Viridian booth during an NRA convention a few years ago.   =|  Good times.  Their lasers were pretty cool products.  Are you talking about one of their green laser/white light combos or an actual green light?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 12:49:06 PM »
Hmm.

Again, I've been watching way too many Garand Thumb videos, and the light + pressure switch seems to be on all the rifles he covers. I've not had an issue with the TLRs, other than a couple of mine are older and lower lumen. I have one on my Canebrake, and as an "AR pistol" light, I can work it okay.

The rifle I'm looking to light is the new MK116, which is a pretty long gun, hence my thinking about the light way out front and a pressure switch. I think I still want to get one just to try, especially since there seem to be more choices for a high lumen, long throw, which would really help checking things out at night.

I bought the Fenix TK26R a while ago based on recommendations here, and it has a good long throw for its size (as well as red and green output). It has become my "checking out stuff at night I don't need a gun for" flashlight, letting me see well out into the pastures, so it has shown me the value of long throw for a weapon light in my living situation.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 01:03:09 PM »

I just have a Suburban house with small lots so a ton of throw has never been a big deal to me.
Same here. Had the same TLR-1 forever and it just keeps going. Had an Inforce WML for a while, it was nice and out of the way but not too bright at the time. Looks like they've more than doubled lumens since then.
I figure something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69216-Rail-Mounted-Tactical-Lumens/dp/B0077RHYJ4
Is tailor-made for the job you want to do. 

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 01:19:13 PM »
When did surefire scout lights get so expensive? I just looked and I think I remember paying about 1/3 of what they are now.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 01:26:03 PM »
When did surefire scout lights get so expensive? I just looked and I think I remember paying about 1/3 of what they are now.

When they discovered govt purchase contracts and that's there's people willing to pay $$$$ to appear to be a member of the "elites"
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 04:37:18 PM »
Scout and competed against each other in a laser based shooting competition at the Viridian booth during an NRA convention a few years ago.   =|  Good times.  Their lasers were pretty cool products.  Are you talking about one of their green laser/white light combos or an actual green light?
It is a green light.  You can focus the bean from pretty wide down to a spot and hit something as a decent distance.  It doesn't seem to kill your night vision like a white light would.

I got an email a few years ago and see them on sale pretty cheap so I got two.  I guess they are not made anymore.