Author Topic: if by new you mean 200,000 miles-I have a new car!  (Read 9316 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: if by new you mean 200,000 miles-I have a new car!
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 08:15:18 PM »
What kind of weirdo sleeps in the back of a small station wagon anyway?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 10:12:28 PM »

Silly boy.  A short weirdo.  :facepalm:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 10:42:49 PM »

The kind that doesn't have a running K-10 with a topper  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »

Hahahahahaha..oh, wait....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 10:57:14 PM »
The kind that doesn't have a running K-10 with a topper  =D

Yup.

I slept in the back of my Nissan PU, no top, a few times.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 12:36:08 AM »

ones that don't have a girlfriend
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 01:14:23 AM »

But now you can drive down to the truck stop.   :O

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 10:21:56 AM »
Congrats, man!

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 11:34:21 AM »

You seem to be correct. I have a wife. And I've slept in the back of my Volvo 740 wagon. By myself.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 09:20:36 PM »
its running great, I spent July's wages getting insured, registered & had a jffy lube place replace the oil, cleaned it pretty well ( the nice ladies husband is a heavy smoker ) ...

The timing belt was replaced at 99 thousand miles, I am currently at 204950, the local mechanic said its probably a days work to replace the timing belt, that's probably a month and a half wages right now-I've gotten some temp gigs lined up for the end of the month-how important is the new timing belt?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »
how important is the new timing belt?

If it's an interference engine, it's very important.  Repairing the damage caused by a broken belt will exceed the cost of replacing the belt.  However, if it's a non-interference engine, then their is no risk unless you're pulling out in front of a train or something when it breaks.

With 200k on the odometer, unless the waterpump was replaced at the last belt replacement, do the pump as well.  Even if it isn't leaking or otherwise failing.  The labor to do the pump is also the same labor to replace the belt.  One should do them both if the car has 150k or more.  It's cheap insurance against a failed pump causing you to redo the entire job (sans new belt of course).

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 09:31:01 PM »
its running great, I spent July's wages getting insured, registered & had a jffy lube place replace the oil, cleaned it pretty well ( the nice ladies husband is a heavy smoker ) ...

The timing belt was replaced at 99 thousand miles, I am currently at 204950, the local mechanic said its probably a days work to replace the timing belt, that's probably a month and a half wages right now-I've gotten some temp gigs lined up for the end of the month-how important is the new timing belt?

VERY! It make motor go. On interference engine if it breaks you ate screwed. I know the old 4 cyl yotas were interference engines b/c my uncle broke one and ruined it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »
At least up till my generation 4Runner, Toyota used chains on interference trucks and belts on non-interference trucks.  That was NOT the case with the cars because the interference engine on my Paseo had a belt.

Point is, do your research and find out what you have so you can make an informed decision. 

Most of the cost is in labor, so if you're handy, you can do it yourself and save a bundle.  However, the V6 in a Camry is kind of shoehorned in, so it won't be an easy job (assuming it can be done with the engine in the car).

Chris

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 09:39:02 PM »
sigh, I don't think I can afford it- hopefully something will change work wise - I need to get it paid off, she said I can take my time but I would like to pay half in sept then the other half in oct - then in Nov do the timing belt/pump thing.

- currently getting by with about 300 a month and I owe her 500 - having the car means I can earn a little more, ... man I'm glad the car gets such good mileage!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 09:54:57 PM »
sigh, I don't think I can afford it- hopefully something will change work wise - I need to get it paid off, she said I can take my time but I would like to pay half in sept then the other half in oct - then in Nov do the timing belt/pump thing.

- currently getting by with about 300 a month and I owe her 500 - having the car means I can earn a little more, ... man I'm glad the car gets such good mileage!

If fall on hard times, I hope I'm half as tenacious and resourceful as you.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 11:19:49 PM »
getting by with about 300 a month

we used to do that, but it was 20 30 years ago
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:35:58 AM by Tallpine »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 02:32:44 AM »
If fall on hard times, I hope I'm half as tenacious and resourceful as you.

In Russia, hard times fall on you.   :laugh:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 02:13:06 PM »
Gunsmith; If I recall correctly you have access to some tools, right?

Depends on the car; timing belts usually aren't fun to get to, but most can be changed with a decent 3/8 and 1/2 socket set, hand tools and a floor jack.  Autozone lists the belt itself for your car at $28.99.  Don't know if you're up for that kind of work or not, though.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2012, 02:16:05 PM »
Actually, Gates doesn't list this car (with the V6) as having an intereference engine.
http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »
Awesome! It appears as if I do not have the interference engine, and the timing belt - that can probably wait another few thousand miles - right? I really wanted to do a tranny flush and replace the fluid for the next $$ thing.

Gunsmith; If I recall correctly you have access to some tools, right?

Depends on the car; timing belts usually aren't fun to get to, but most can be changed with a decent 3/8 and 1/2 socket set, hand tools and a floor jack.  Autozone lists the belt itself for your car at $28.99.  Don't know if you're up for that kind of work or not, though.

There was a floor jack here, its been broken for awhile now and neither I nor mr ranch owner have the funds allocated for a new one - if I can I'll buy a new one in a month or two ...

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2012, 07:04:48 PM »
Very pleased that things are starting to look up for you!!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen