Author Topic: Anxiety and insomnia  (Read 1318 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Anxiety and insomnia
« on: July 27, 2006, 10:02:48 PM »
Can't sleep tonight; or this morning, I should say.  It's almost 2 am here, and I start work at 8.  I can never sleep when I'm worried about stuff, which is a lot of the time.  What to do?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Anxiety and insomnia
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 12:48:07 AM »
Have you tried a mallet on the back of your skull? Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Anxiety and insomnia
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 03:15:25 AM »
My advice to you, is to start drinking heavily.

Actually I find if I exercise in the evening, something to really get me worn out (and at my age/condition that isnt hard) then I dont have trouble with anxiety.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

meinbruder

• friends
Anxiety and insomnia
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 07:53:41 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Can't sleep tonight; or this morning, I should say.  It's almost 2 am here, and I start work at 8.  I can never sleep when I'm worried about stuff, which is a lot of the time.  What to do?
You can try Valerian Root; it's an herbal remedy I've used for years.  Its been described as eighteenth century Valium.  I used it for back pain, and as a sleep aid, without any side affects for a number of years.  My wife complains about hangover but Ive never been bothered by it.  I took a 1,000mg equivalent as a dose so its not really much stronger than a couple of extra strength OTC headache pills.
Mike

}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Anxiety and insomnia
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 08:55:06 PM »
fistful, I'm really sorry you're going through this at such a young age (you are young, aren't you?).

Everybody from my mother to my shrink to my surgeon has recommended all sorts of remedies and tricks. (I particularly liked the comment from the surgeon who did microscopic surgery on my inner ear last Decmeber; he said that lack of sleep was an "old man's problem;" I then asked him why he was doing microscopic surgery on me when he hadn't slept all night).

Anywho, my shrink got it right when he said that the trick to falling asleep is to "get stupid."

Get all serious thoughts out of your head.

Think about something mindless. Count from 1000 backwards. Doesn't work for me, though. I've counted from 10,000 backwards and still been awake.

The doc's have said that I  should get up and do something. So, I've tried posting on this forum late at night, as well as on THR and TFL. The quality of the posts are Exhibit A to dispute the doctors' recommendations.

Fistful, I've been going through the lack of sleep syndrome for probably five years. I go for sometimes a month with little or no sleep.

Best advice I can give you? Stay in bed, try to sleep, and take whatever sleep you get as a "gimmee."

Even lying in bed while being awake is giving you rest.

Go to a shrink, and learn self-hypnosis. (Seriously, it can work).

What is my best solution? When my wife makes a basic meal like beef roast and mashed potatoes. The "carb dump" puts me asleep almost immediately.

Believe me, I know what  you're going through. At 2 am my mind  is going in 150 different directions. It's near impossible to shut  it off.

Next bit of advice: go to bed every night at the same time. Doesn't matter if you fall asleep or not. You need to get your body and mind on a sleep timeclock. Any disruption of that timeclock will disrupt your sleep patterns.

Good luck with it, my friend.

280plus

• friend
Anxiety and insomnia
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 01:18:55 AM »
The best clear your head one I've found is to count the "E"s in the Pledge of Allegiance and if you lose count you have to go back to the beginning. I didn't realize Fist's insomnia was a chronic thing, I thought he was just talking about this one time. We just went through another thread on all this, I'll see if I can find it.

280plus

• friend
Anxiety and insomnia
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 01:24:57 AM »
Guess I was thinking about this one, it's not quite the same but I think there's some relevant info in there. http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?id=3847

Sorry about the mallet to the back of your head joke there old chap... Tongue

Of course, now that I know you're a newlywed, I can understand that your new wife controls the mallet right now. The question is, when will you get it back? Cheesy

BozemanMT

• friend
Anxiety and insomnia
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 04:04:32 AM »
You just need to realize that you can't sweat the little stuff.
and
it's all little stuff

Todayis today, tomorrow is tomorrow and there's nothing you can do about it
just clear your mind, worry about it when teh time comes and go forward

Life is too short to worry about.

(my wife sits up for hours and worries, I am usually snoring away within minutes, why worry?)

oh, the exercise helps too. :-)
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Nightfall

• friend
Anxiety and insomnia
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 09:28:40 AM »
Take a couple Benadryl. Mellows me, and makes it real easy to drift off. Smiley
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Antibubba

• friend
Anxiety and insomnia
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 08:40:42 PM »
I happens to me too, frequently.  I like Ambien-it doesn't linger in my system.  Half a Xanax can work too (and the doctors practically give it to me for free-my thoughts must really disturb them).  Tongue

Hot bath or shower is good.  Or have that bride of yours give you a backrub.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Anxiety and insomnia
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 03:34:01 AM »
Quote from: BozemanMT
You just need to realize that you can't sweat the little stuff.
and
it's all little stuff
Funny-

I always thought that the quote was "don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff."

No, that was something else...

I, too, have problems falling asleep.  Last night it only took an ambien and 2 tylenol PMs.

The mind was on over drive.  I have xanax, which is awesome, but tends to leave me lethagic the next day, even with 1/2 a pill.  I can function, but have lost my fight.  Not good in my business/ with the people I work with.

Sorry, no suggestions here.

Oh, and about the newly-wed and "exercise", give it a bit, the "execrcise" will go away!  : (
One day at a time.