Author Topic: Need some quick help! - Hohner HG-130S electric guitar  (Read 1194 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Need some quick help! - Hohner HG-130S electric guitar
« on: July 28, 2006, 11:51:01 AM »
Okay, so I have the option to buy one of these for $35. It doesn't have the pickups, but it's in great shape. Should I go for it? Can anybody just tell me anything about this guitar? I can't find a thing about it on the Internet.

It's a Les Paul style body.

Edit: The HG-130S is off the plate on the back of the guitar.
Andy

Iain

• friend
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 12:04:15 PM »
I can't find anything either. If it's structurally sound and $35 is play money and you have the time and money to invest in putting some new electronics in it then go ahead. I'd warn you though that such projects often turn into $35 of firewood if you aren't absolutely sure what you are letting yourself in for.

I have about $120 of 1960's vintage Framus archtop firewood downstairs.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 12:35:35 PM »
Bought one of their strat copies second-hand for my brother years back...it was excellent - other than a plywood body, it was a very good instrument.  Important thing on a guitar is the neck - it can't be twisted, or bowed too far back or forward (beyond hte means of the truss rod to adjust).  Unfortunately, there is no way to really check it unless strings are installed and tuned to pitch, wiht the bridge setting the action correctly.  If you don;t know what you arr doing, and can't get someone who does to go with you, suggest passing on it, unless he wil let you take it to a luthier (guitar repair guy) to be checked out - most won't charge you for a quick inspection.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 12:48:34 PM »
It looks structurally sound, but is not strung up, so I guess that's no sure indication of it's shape.

What amount of time/money would I have to have to put new electronics in it? That's mainly what's holding me back right now.
Andy

Iain

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 01:37:13 PM »
I should have said what Rich said - if the neck is sound then you can start to think about electrics. I'm not an electric guitar sort of guy, but there are wiring diagrams and the like out there on the net. The electrics are not particularly complicated usually, with it being an LP copy I assume you have 2 volume and 2 tone pots and probably a coil tap - if so you are bound to be able to find a wiring diagram.

And here we are - www.lacemusic.com/wiring/pdf/5.pdf and http://www.stewmac.com/wiring101/index.hzml too.

Get yourself some decent pick-ups if you're going to do this. It's probably heresy to some, but with electrics that's where I believe the tone comes from. Half decent bit of wood and some good electrics is going to sound way better than half decent bit of wood and half decent electrics. Think about what kind of sound you want, if you're a metal guy then look at pick-ups that are designed for that purpose.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 02:09:48 PM »
I don't know what a coil tap is, so I don't have anything to say about that, but there are already two volume pots and two tone pots on the guitar. The only thing it's missing are two pickups and strings.

Quote from: Iain
Get yourself some decent pick-ups if you're going to do this. It's probably heresy to some, but with electrics that's where I believe the tone comes from. Half decent bit of wood and some good electrics is going to sound way better than half decent bit of wood and half decent electrics. Think about what kind of sound you want, if you're a metal guy then look at pick-ups that are designed for that purpose.
Actually, this would be my first foray into the world of electrics, and that's why I was interested in this guitar, hoping that I'd be able to get started in electrics without breaking the bank. I've always assumed what you wrote is what you want in an electric guitar.
Andy

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 07:37:52 PM »
Ain't you got no pawn shops or used instrument shops around? You can uaually find a decent guitar for cheap in most of them. Check the classifieds too. Test before you buy though!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

...has left the building.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 03:50:14 AM »
By the time you buy and install pickups and pots (even though it already has volume and tone, they'll probably need to be replaced), you're probably looking at $150. For that amount of money you could buy a brand new Epiphone Special II, Fender Affinity Strat, or Fender Affinity Tele. All three are IMO, decent starter electrics.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Electric-Guitar?sku=518334
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510423
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Special?sku=515115

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 06:08:29 AM »
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to pass on the guitar.
Andy