Author Topic: Is there a "no junk mail list" similar to "do not call"?  (Read 713 times)

DJJ

• friend
Is there a "no junk mail list" similar to "do not call"?
« on: July 29, 2006, 06:47:46 PM »
About two or three times a week I get a pack of ads, like grocery store sales, in the mail. They always come with one of those "Have you seen me?" missing children flyers.

Is there a way to opt out of getting these? How are these any different than spam? I don't even like the idea that I have to expend energy carrying them from the mailbox to the trash can.

The sender may pay postage on them, but spammers pay for internet access, so I don't buy that argument.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 12:24:10 AM »
DJJ, yes there is such a thing.

http://www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailinglist

It only works for stuff sent specifically you "Your Name at Such and Such street". Stuff sent to occupant or resident won't be on the central mailing list. You might try contacting the post office to see if you can opt out of the "resident" mailings.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 06:15:34 AM »
Thanks. Anything's better than doing nothing. Have you done this, garrettwc? Anyone else?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 06:32:07 AM »
You may not realize it but those annoying "Or Current Resident" flyers are the USPS' bread and butter. I DOUBT there's anyway to stop them but if you do find one PLEASE let us know! Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 07:40:21 AM »
I've been putting them back in the outgoing slot out of frustration, but they keep showing back up. I've tried to pull out anything that has my address on it, but somehow the mailman knows it's me. I should probably quit doing that.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »
DJJ, I haven't actually had to do it as I get little or no junk mail. I've managed to keep my address off most of the lists. I do get some of the "resident" stuff. Since it has none of my personal info in it, it goes straight into the recycling bin.