Author Topic: Restarting Three Mile Island to power AI  (Read 81 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Restarting Three Mile Island to power AI
« on: Today at 08:14:28 AM »
The owner of the Three Mile Island nuclear plant is going to restart the undamaged reactor and will sell the power to Microsoft to supply power for AI.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/09/20/constellation-energy-to-restart-three-mile-island-and-sell-the-power-to-microsoft.html

I'm just absolutely incensed that they're not going to provide that power to California -- free of charge -- to power all of those magical electrical cars that have made the state such a utopia.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
Re: Restarting Three Mile Island to power AI
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:49:33 AM »
Your California comment reminded me of the days when Gov. Gray "Grayout" Davis was governor of California. (Until he was recalled and booted out.) California was suffering all kinds of power disruptions and rolling blackouts, and his plan was to demand - DEMAND! - that states like Nevada and Arizona send more power to California, even if Nevadans and Arizonans would then suffer rolling blackouts. He then said they could get more power from Utah, New Mexico, and Idaho . . . and if they in turn ran short, they'd draw from states further east. IIRC, his plan went as far as Indiana, and he even tried to get California courts to order out of state utilities to do so.

The key words being out of state - they found out California court authority over utilities stopped at the state line - especially when those other states' own courts said NO! - and the Feds largely stayed out of it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:35:32 AM »
What could possibly go wrong with AI having their own reactor?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:40:38 PM »
What could possibly go wrong with AI having their own reactor?

Like this?

“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”