Author Topic: A parent in need of help  (Read 976 times)

Antibubba

• friend
A parent in need of help
« on: March 11, 2007, 08:24:35 PM »
As I've mentioned before, I work for a cellphone provider, and on occasion I "bring my work home"--that is, a customer's problem nags at me.  In this case, the customer is a (presumably) single mother whose daughter is very sick and in the hospital.  Her cellphone bill has gotten very high because she's taken a leave from work.  At this point, her service is on; a temporary credit has lowered her balance for the next month.  But she has had several before.  This is the last.

From a business standpoint it makes no sense to keep her phone on, but because of her daughter's condition she needs to be connected and available at any time.  And although she has been a good customer for many years and the notes from earlier calls confirm her story, I of course have no idea if her daughter really is sick, or if she even has a daughter.  I've heard every excuse and tale.  What I want to know is, does anyone know of any charitable foundations  or organizations that can help her with her phone bill?  I have no idea the specific illness of the daughter.  The customer lives in Washington state.  At this point I'm not including govt agencies, because of the time and complexity of getting in.

I checked out Easter Seals, Shriners, and Ronald McDonald House; none of them are what is needed.  I would like to be able to give her somewhere to go for help, as well as have it available for the next one.  And if she IS scamming us, then that other agency will find out very quickly.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: A parent in need of help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 05:13:39 AM »
Are there any community outreach programs in the area? Ask the closest town hall. If she is truly in need there has to be a way to get her some kind of limited phone service.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 05:16:53 AM »
So I take it that your company has absolutely nothing in place that could help her?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 05:38:37 AM »
If nothing else, make sure she's on a plan that meets her needs.  If hers is a few years old, she could actually "upgrade" to a new plan that offers more minutes for the same price, but I'm sure you knew that. Smiley

Chris

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 07:18:22 AM »
Mike,

No, not really, although the temp credits are supposed to help for short term issues.  This is a 6 month ongoing problem.  As I said, finding an alternative for her isn't part of my job description; I'm doing this on my own.

mtnbkr, if she could get by on less I'd happily set her up.  But she is using her minutes up, so less isn't an option here.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 07:30:10 AM »
You misunderstood me.  I'm saying to see if there are any new plans that offer more or the same minutes for less money.  If her plan is an older one, it's possible she could save money that way.

Over the past 5 years, I've gone from 300min to 700min with no change in my monthly bill.  The jump from 300 to 500 actually ended up giving me a discount over the old plan.  500 to 700 cost me a mere $10/month, which is much less yearly than the once or twice a year we went over our minutes (one time to the tune of $100 that month due to family problems).

Chris

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 08:25:29 AM »
She's using her minutes up ... but is she using them because they're available or using them because she needs them?  Could she get by with less?

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 08:46:36 AM »
Since when is it the cell phone company's responsibility to pay for someone's cell phone bill?

Are all these minutes she is using to call her daughter?

It seems to me you can get a plan with a lot of minutes for not much money these days. it may be that she needs to be more responsible in how she usues the minutes she has.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 08:10:10 PM »
Since when is it the cell phone company's responsibility to pay for someone's cell phone bill?

It isn't.  I'm asking if anyone here knows of resources I might not have heard about it.

It seems to me you can get a plan with a lot of minutes for not much money these days. it may be that she needs to be more responsible in how she uses the minutes she has.

And that too may be so.

And as to the "WHY" which goes unasked in so many words--I refuse to turn into a "phone drone".  You've all talked to them, the ones that make you wish you were talking to the automated voice again.  I'm really good at this job, so for me the best way to keep it challenging and worthwhile is to learn new stuff, and maybe go a little farther than anyone else can.  Believe me, when I get a scammer I'm one cold SOB.  And in this case I'm looking for a resource that isn't available at the job.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 11:42:46 PM »
I use cricket and get a flat fee for all calls, the only time I pay extra is if I call from outside my "home" town
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."