Author Topic: Could this really happen in Chicago?!  (Read 1379 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Could this really happen in Chicago?!
« on: December 31, 2013, 01:11:26 AM »
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/chicago_news&id=9357070

Clerk shoots robber dead.

No charges filed. (yet)

:O

First of all, how are there guns in the safe zone of idyllic Chicago?

Secondly, how is anyone without a blue suit and a badge at large after admitting to shooting and killing someone?

:O

Surely, this is some suburb of Chicago, with dangerously lax, Missouri-style gun laws.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Could this really happen in Chicago?!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 07:44:18 AM »
Certain Alderpersons have since forever been allowed to have handguns.  Also, regular folks, who unlike Alderpersons can never take the handgun out of the house or place of business, are now allowed to own handguns.  http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2010/0702/Chicago-passes-revised-gun-law-allowing-handgun-ownership

There's a process to follow.  http://www.timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/14746201/buying-registering-and-owning-a-legal-gun-in-chicago

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 08:17:11 AM »
OK, but the guy didn't use the gun for some valid purpose, like hunting, or collecting, or target shooting. He used it for the sordid purpose of self-defense. That's going to be punished, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:33:14 AM »
no charges have been filed

yet
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 08:58:18 AM »
If he legally purchased a clean gun it is hard to see how they can charge him with anything.

You are allowed to protect yourself in your home or place of business in Chicago. With guns now being legal to own it'll be interested to see what type of gyrations they go through if they charge him with something.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »
If he legally purchased a clean gun it is hard to see how they can charge him with anything.

You are allowed to protect yourself in your home or place of business in Chicago. With guns now being legal to own it'll be interested to see what type of gyrations they go through if they charge him with something.

Remember, charging isn't the problem.  Getting a conviction is the problem.  Anymore, with the rampant plea bargaining throughout the system, all they need to do is file some charges that are severe enough to induce plea bargaining, and the antis can trumpet another victory over an evil gun owner.  Unless the prosecutor has some integrity, or the public opinion polls show sufficient voter support of the shooter to make charges politically inadvisable. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »
What Ron said.

If the gun was legally purchased.

If he had a valid FOID card.

If it was his business or if he had permission from the business owner to have and/or carry a firearm there.

All the hoops to register/own a firearm in Chicago are null and void. (all that went out the window when CCW passed).   One simply just has to jump through the same hoops as the rest of Illinois gun owners.

So if he passes the first three, there's really nothing to charge him with.   Much to the chagrin of the Mayor, State's Attorney, Supervisor of the CPD and Cook County Sheriff.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 12:41:38 PM »
"Another man inside the cell phone store reportedly broke an ankle trying to escape the gunfire. "

Justifiable shooting or not, the store owners will pay, probably handsomely.

The Chicago Sun Time's Homicide Watch Chicago (nice(?) of them to maintain a scoreboard) reaffirms my belief in the concept of public service homicide.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:28:16 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 01:08:45 PM »
What's a broken ankle worth?  A couple grand to the docs, and a few grand more for "pain and suffering" would be my guess.
Formerly sumpnz

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 01:14:42 PM »
Quote from: sumpnz
What's a broken ankle worth?

Actually, I was thinking of "wrongful endangerment" and punitive damages layered over those considerations, but I may have been too long a Californian. ;)
Gee, I'd love to see your data!