Author Topic: Oh Oh, Chongo! Danger Island  (Read 147 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Oh Oh, Chongo! Danger Island
« on: May 04, 2024, 09:50:51 AM »
I recently learned that I'm not a Boomer and am actually Generation Jones, for which there is a Reddit sub that has been bringing back a ton of memories from when I was a kid.

This morning it was the Banana Splits and the live action "show within a show" they did called Danger Island, featuring a young Jan Michael Vincent. Until this morning I had forgotten all about it, but it opened up a ton of memories, like I remember that the black guy had some stick that was like a Swiss Army knife stick, and I now remember duplicating it the best that an eight year old could, having all kinds of adventures in the backyard.

Anyway, there's no way this non-woke (and it was probably considered woke at the time) kid's show would be on the air today.  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/UzUWiqQ-790
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Oh Oh, Chongo! Danger Island
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 11:32:55 AM »
Huh. Never heard of Generation Jones before, but looks like... I'm Generation Jones. Also Gen X.

But I never liked the Banana Splits. Or HR Puffinstuff.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 11:40:06 AM »
Huh. Never heard of Generation Jones before, but looks like... I'm Generation Jones. Also Gen X.

Looking back at HR Puffinstuff and some of their other stuff I wonder if the Krofft brothers were doing LSD at the time and what was in my cereal while watching it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 11:43:23 AM »
Huh. Never heard of Generation Jones before,

I'd never heard of it either until recently, but it kinda makes sense for "tail end" boomers, because that Boomer cadre is a pretty big chunk of years.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JN01

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 05:43:25 PM »

I couldn't stand those shows either. Also thought Scooby-Doo was idiotic.  Roadrunner, old Loony Toons, and Tom & Jerry were more up my alley.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 06:18:10 PM »
solid 1958 boomer here. on the younger side but don't dilute me with transitionals.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 09:13:07 AM »
OK, I was born in the early part of what some some unknown person is calling "Generation Jones" but I never heard the term before this thread and I'm sure I never heard of the Banana Splits or that Danger Island show before now either.

It was "a show within a show" . . . hmmm. I DO remember a "comic within a comic" in Al Capp's "Li'l Abner" comic strip; that would usually begin with Li'l Abner reading the paper where there was another comic, "Fearless Fosdick" which then took over the strip for a couple of weeks.

I doubt there's a paper in the USA today that would run either comic strip in its original form thanks to wokeness killing comedy . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 09:25:47 AM »
OK, I was born in the early part of what some some unknown person is calling "Generation Jones" but I never heard the term before this thread and I'm sure I never heard of the Banana Splits or that Danger Island show before now either.

OK, Boomer.

=D =D =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024, 09:37:45 AM »
Looking back at HR Puffinstuff and some of their other stuff I wonder if the Krofft brothers were doing LSD at the time and what was in my cereal while watching it.

It was all part of that 1960s/70s psychedelic era, so I think the chances are pretty good that they were... 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2024, 09:40:33 AM »
I couldn't stand those shows either. Also thought Scooby-Doo was idiotic.  Roadrunner, old Loony Toons, and Tom & Jerry were more up my alley.

I LOVED Scooby Doo. I still do. I watch it when it's on.

But when they introduced Scrappy, or all of the "special guests?"

No.

Also loved Bugs Bunny-Road Runner hour.

Finally, there was Jonny Quest. Still love the Jonny Quest theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIhEpjnaNlo

Pretty much anything else I didn't care about.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:50:18 AM »

Never watched them but do remember them being on TV.
Sid & Marty Croft, Outer Limits (orig.), Twilight Zone (orig.), Lost in Space (orig.), Have Gun Will Travel, etc.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: Today at 01:05:11 AM »
Until this thread, I had never heard of Generation Jones. As a result of chasing down what that is, I confirmed that I'm not even a Boomer -- according to Wikipedia, I'm a member of "the Silent Generation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Jones
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: Today at 10:23:19 AM »
Never watched them but do remember them being on TV.
Sid & Marty Croft, Outer Limits (orig.), Twilight Zone (orig.), Lost in Space (orig.), Have Gun Will Travel, etc.

Regular TV shows I watched included the above (other than the Crofts, which IIRC came along when I was older) plus Mr. Roberts, COMBAT!, Bonanza, Maverick (orig), McHale's Navy, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Science Fiction Theater, Johnny Yuma, Flash Gordon . . .

Memorable cartoon characters included Quick Draw McGraw, Yosemite Sam, Marvin the Martian, Elmer Fudd, some Jonny Quest characters . . . all of whom had GUNZ!

Few of these would be ALLOWED on TV today, the wokesters in the corner offices of the TV stations wouldn't allow them, or would order big sections chopped out.

There was more decent stuff to watch with only 5 stations than there is today with 100+.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain