Author Topic: I think someone is spying on me  (Read 1100 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
I think someone is spying on me
« on: April 08, 2006, 09:34:40 AM »
Noticed a few emails that were marked unread are now showing that they have been viewed.  I think someone is using winspy or something to obtain passwords on this PC.  It's the one here at home.  

How does one go about finding a hidden program that does such a thing.  I used it once along time ago to keep an eye on the kids but don't remember how to call it up again.  

Suggestions?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 09:36:40 AM »
Microsoft has a beta spyware program for free that seems to work well.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 01:40:50 AM »
I had a similar problem for awhile, I think the guy got bored.

I once looked at my GF's email, it's how I found out she was cheating on me...she had her passwords written down and filed under "secret passwords"!

She started seeing a programmer on the side and he had some kind of program (we think) that can run thru all the words in the dictionary untill it opens your email.

her and I are friends now but live in different states.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 03:13:57 AM »
she had her passwords written down and filed under "secret passwords"!
She's pretty sharp! rolleyes

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 06:32:50 AM »
Quote from: gunsmith
She started seeing a programmer on the side and he had some kind of program (we think) that can run thru all the words in the dictionary untill it opens your email.
This is why it's not reccomended to use dictonary words for passwords. Make up a password like ghu#*754FT.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 06:51:24 AM »
No password is 100% bulletproof.  There are algorithms out there that'll break anything givien enough time.

Greg

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 08:16:33 AM »
Change all of your passwords.  Run a thorough virus scan and spyware scane.  Then change all of your passwords again.  Make sure that nobody else in your home can touch your computer.  Keep a handwritten list of which messages you leave unopened, and use that list to determine for sure whether or not any of your messages are "opening themselves".

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 05:41:23 PM »
Change all of your passwords.  Run a thorough virus scan and spyware scane.  Then change all of your passwords again.  Make sure that nobody else in your home can touch your computer.  Keep a handwritten list of which messages you leave unopened, and use that list to determine for sure whether or not any of your messages are "opening themselves".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

http://www.rootkit.com/

Save off your files.   Format your hard disk, and reinstall the OS from original media.  Seal it up tight before you get on the internet.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 06:03:29 PM »
Blackburn is right.  Someone is physically sitting down and reading them. Someone not smart enough to mark them as unread after reading them.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 07:14:24 AM »
I think it's a program that meters keystrokes on the keyboard. Sort of like Winspy or something like that that you can only open with cont alt delete and another key.  I've used a program like that back in the day to see where the kids were going.

The only one using the computer is my family.  I'll see if I can find something running in the background and hash it out.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »
No, but if they obtained my password to my email and are reading it then not marking it as "unread' it tells me that they got the password some how.