Author Topic: God give me strength...  (Read 4266 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
God give me strength...
« on: April 09, 2006, 08:11:01 PM »
I'm in Pennsylvania at the parent's place taking a week of vacation.

My task this week is to clean out the basement, sort out what's good, and toss what's not into the dumpster they're having delivered tomorrow.

Yep, the basement is so chock full of *expletive deleted*it that we need a dumpster.

Btween my parents, who have lived in the house since 1999, and my grandparents (particularly my grandfather), who lived in the house from 1943 to 1996, the basement is amazingly jam packed full of just complete and total crap. It's not a small basement, either. It's a 1903 Victorian with a full basement.

In a flash of desperation this morning, I went to the hardware store, picked up a pully, an eye hook, and a skein of rope, and rigged it so that I could at least hoist stuff out. The steps are about 1/2" and almost straight up.

Oh, the best thing?

The boiler backfired a couple of years ago, and everything is covered in oily soot...

But, in the midst of all of this, I've come across some real treasures... A brass gasoline blowtorch (decoration, unfortunately). Last year I found my grandfather's circa 1930 Eveready flashlight, which still works, and works well. It's in my car.

Then there were all of his lab reports from his mechanical engineering classes at Penn State in the middle 1930s.

Ok, enough bitching...

Now I'm just going to curl up and sob for awhile.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
God give me strength...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 09:16:24 PM »
First the obvious:  Don't you have minions to do this work, oh Incomparable Caeser?  Please allow me to to do this for you - I mean for the glory of the people.

Secondly, please tell us of any more cool stuff you find, and please include pictures.

Thirdly, (terciarily?), offer us your cool goodies before you go to e-bay.  Not that I'm buyin'.  I am way too broke.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
God give me strength...
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 12:25:03 AM »
Doesn't sound like much of a vaca...

Hire an auctioneer to clear the place out? They'll sort out the good stuff and throw the rest out for you. Or,,,some people will buy the whole mess outright and take it with them to sort out. Don't feel bad. My dad's house was chock full, his attic was chock full, his basement was chock full and his two car garage was chock full. Besides all the good stuff I think we hauled at LEAST theree dumpster loads out of there. Hard to remember.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
God give me strength...
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 01:09:29 AM »
good luck!
have you looked up on eby what the flashlight is worth?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
God give me strength...
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 02:59:30 AM »
While I'm a ceasar in Virginia, I'm simply another of the herd in Pennsylvania. Inconvenient state borders...

Some stuff already has gone up on Ebay. Most of it, though, is absolute crap. Stuff that my Grandfather, a child of the Depression, never threw out. That and the fact that he was one of those people who could use the most amazing collection of assorted crap to fix anything.

Anyone need about 5,000 pieces of assorted gauge wire, none of it more than 6" in length? I've got you covered...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
God give me strength...
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 03:07:07 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
While I'm a ceasar in Virginia, I'm simply another of the herd in Pennsylvania. Inconvenient state borders...
We look forward to the day when your glorious leadership erases all things which divide us.

Anyone need about 5,000 pieces of assorted gauge wire, none of it more than 6" in length? I've got you covered...
I will start the bidding at 2 dollars.

280plus

• friend
God give me strength...
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 03:32:39 AM »
Wait! Let me check!!

Nope sorry, don't need any...

Beware fistful, you could find yourself owing Mike $2 and owning 5000 pieces of assorted gauge wire etc...

Matter of fact, I'd say we have a sale!

Wrap it up and tell him how much for shipping and handling Mike...

Cheesy

280plus

• friend
God give me strength...
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 03:34:03 AM »
We look forward to the day when your glorious leadership erases all things which divide us.
Now that's some mighty fine ass kissing right there...

Tongue

grampster

• friend
God give me strength...
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 04:43:43 AM »
Start in one corner and turn on the little voice in your head that everyone always tries to ignore and starting picking stuff up and walking outside.  Before you know it you'll be finished.
Then next week you can start being obsesive regarding the fact that you threw something away that was immensely valuable, but you still don't know what it was.

Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

mtnbkr

• friend
God give me strength...
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 04:57:25 AM »
A brass gasoline blowtorch (decoration, unfortunately).
An expensive decoration based on the prices I've seen at "antique" stores in the region.  If you don't keep it, I'll take it.  If you do keep it, polish it up real nice, put a coat of laquer on it and enjoy it as a bit of history in your house.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
God give me strength...
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 05:30:39 AM »
Do you own an MP3 player?
I've found that mine makes the mundane BS tasks fly by.

If I ever have to clean out my Dad's stuff it won't be that bad.  The only thing I want is the telegraphs of my Grandfather becoming a POW and when he was released (neatly framed with his Army picture).
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
God give me strength...
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 05:55:21 AM »
I'm fortunate that my parents have moved to different towns every 2-3 years or less. Pretty much everything they own fits in a U Haul.

I remember cleaning out my Grandfather's house with my Dad after he passed away, I can feel your pain Mike.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
God give me strength...
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 08:30:21 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Beware fistful, you could find yourself owing Mike $2 and owning 5000 pieces of assorted gauge wire etc...
You fool!  I will have 5000 ready-made souvenirs of our Revered Chairman!  Of course, proceeds will go to our comrades still struggling under the yoke of capitalism.  I will see that it is correctly distributed.

280plus

• friend
God give me strength...
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 09:40:41 AM »
Great! Keep up the good work!! rolleyes

Cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
God give me strength...
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 09:57:47 AM »
"An expensive decoration based on the prices I've seen at "antique" stores in the region.  If you don't keep it, I'll take it.  If you do keep it, polish it up real nice, put a coat of laquer on it and enjoy it as a bit of history in your house."

Sorry, dude, it's on the bookcase in the living room. Along with a similar torch from the 1950s that I found in the shed.

Unfortunately the brass one looks as if it got water in it and froze, as it has a series of vertical cracks the whole way around it.

The other treasure that I just found is a bunch of millwork for the house...

All clear American chestnut.

There's also a BUNCH of board feet of clear American chestnut planking, probably 8-10" wide and an inch thick, and about 6 feet long.

No, you can't have that, either. Smiley

In fact, my Father won't let me have it!

You'd probably plotz at the saws that are in the shed that came off of my Great Grandfather's farm...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
God give me strength...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 10:33:46 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Unfortunately the brass one looks as if it got water in it and froze, as it has a series of vertical cracks the whole way around it.
Probably got stored under pressure (last person to use it didn't relieve the pressure) and the brass stretched out in warm weather. Think of gas can you leave out in the sun.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Strings

God give me strength...
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2006, 05:36:06 PM »
Had to do similar with the home of an ex girlfriend's uncle, when we went to insulate the attic. The man was a farmer, and threw almost NOTHING away: we were finding empty check boxes from the 50s. Unfortunately, we broke up before she got serious about cleaning the house out: the man had an extensive collection of Lionel trains in the basement, and the ex was the only next of kin. She threw almost everything out...

Antibubba

• friend
God give me strength...
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 05:58:05 PM »
Between my parents, who have lived in the house since 1999, and my grandparents (particularly my grandfather), who lived in the house from 1943 to 1996, the basement is amazingly jam packed full of just complete and total crap. It's not a small basement, either. It's a 1903 Victorian with a full basement.
On the bright side, look at all the money you'll save not buyng that Stairmaster you had your eye on!  Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
God give me strength...
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006, 08:02:23 PM »
On the down side, I think I brought 5 pounds of dust and soot out in my lungs...

God give me strength...
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 03:43:30 AM »
It is the stuff of legend in my wife's family that one dearly departed packrat left behind a similarly crowded establishment, including a large paper bag full of bits of string, clearly labeled STRING TOO SHORT TO SAVE.

Living through the Great Depression could do that to a person...

lpl/nc

publius

• friend
God give me strength...
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 03:57:18 AM »
I guess this is the thread to admit that I have a box labeled "Parts is Parts"

It contains....ummm.... parts.

mtnbkr

• friend
God give me strength...
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 04:53:07 AM »
Living through the Great Depression could do that to a person...
Yup.  My mom's mom has the same "problem".  Even though she lives alone and doesn't eat much, she has a deep freezer packed full of food and a pantry that's nearly full as well.  This is in addition to her regular fridge and the food in the cabinets.  She also keeps any plastic container that can be used to store food (butter dishes, etc).

Every 5-10 years, we go through all this and get rid of the excess butter and CoolWhip containers, toss the freezer burned food, etc.  One year, we were tossing frozen food that was close to 10 years old.

Chris

Big_R

• friend
God give me strength...
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 05:04:12 AM »
Been there, did the same thing when my grandmother moved into town.  Mountains of crap, but a few treasures, including two wooden ammo crates (both Winchester).

Ryan

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
God give me strength...
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 06:38:28 AM »
You know, it's funny, but my Grandparents never did the "pack the house with food just in case" routine. I never thought of that until now.

mtnbkr

• friend
God give me strength...
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 06:45:24 AM »
I forgot to mention, her house doesn't look like a packrat's house.  It's neat and clean.  She does a good job keeping things organized, but she does keep more food than a single person could eat before it goes bad.  

Chris