Author Topic: Say I have an idea for a mechanical device....  (Read 1208 times)

Warren

Say I have an idea for a mechanical device....
« on: April 10, 2006, 07:27:42 PM »
....but I do not freehand draw well, so I need a drafting program of some sort. Therefore I need an easy to use drafting program.

Any suggestions?

Also any idea on how I get it prototyped?

Thanks,

Warren

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 05:30:06 PM »
Depends on what it is, what materials will be used, and whether or not you want the prototype to function or if you're using it for demo purposes only.

If you're talking about a complicated device with numerous manufactured components, it could get pricey to create a working prototype. Still, there's always ways around. Metal parts can be made on tool room equipment, rather that screw machines or cold headers or whatever. Plastic parts can be done with SLA or SLS. There are people who do rapid prototyping for stampings, etc.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:33:10 PM »
I don't have any advice on drafting programs. Most of them are very expensive..but I know there are some out there that are less expensive.

Just found this..but don't know anything about it..maybe look on download.com or something, to find a cheap/free version with decent reviews?

http://www.cadstd.com/

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 06:26:38 PM »
Also cost him a bundle for licensing. It sounds like you're looking for something better than hand-doodling, but dont' need 3D modeling, etc. If that's the case, there are cheap or free programs out there that will do the job.

Warren

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 06:47:58 PM »
Barbara,

That link is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Warren

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 11:58:34 PM »
I do believe there is an online company that allows you to download CAD software, design your item and then send the plans to them for an estimate of the cost and for production.  Don't remember their name, though.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 01:00:21 AM »
They're probably going to charge a premium for something you may well be able to do yourself.

If you need help with sourcing, let me know.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 05:52:26 AM »
Go to Office Max or Staples and get you a rudimentary Architect's Kit. You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish. And if you can draw it with a cad program, you can draw it with a ruler, compass, and square.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB