Author Topic: 2021 National Firearms Survey  (Read 858 times)

Pb

• friend
2021 National Firearms Survey
« on: September 11, 2022, 02:28:20 PM »
This is the largest survey on gun ownership ever done, the sample size is huge.  I am sure there are lies being told to the surveyor, but the results are interesting. 

Among other results:
31.9% of adults reported owing guns
1.67 million defensive gun uses per year claimed... if true, that's a huge number.  I am agnostic about the number.
There are a lot of interesting numbers in here, especially the racial background and the huge number of guns reported owned.

Oh yeah, and 44 million or so AR-type rifles owned too.   :cool:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4109494

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: 2021 National Firearms Survey
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 02:35:56 PM »
This is the largest survey on gun ownership ever done, the sample size is huge.  I am sure there are lies being told to the surveyor, but the results are interesting. 

Among other results:
31.9% of adults reported owing guns

If a survey asked me if I own a gun(s) there's good chance I would answer no and I suspect a rather large % of people would do the same. Number could, COULD, be quite low.

Edit: Thinking about it some more I may say I have handgun for defense but no to anything else.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 02:42:55 PM »
If a survey asked me if I own a gun(s) there's good chance I would answer no depending on who's doing the survey and I suspect a rather large % of people would do the same. Number could, COULD, be quite low.
(Telephone rings. Man answers.)
"Hello"
"Good evening sir, this a survey. Do you own guns?"
"Sure"
"Do you own jewelry, computers, cameras, or gold?"
"Of course."
"Do you have an alarm, a big dog, or will someone be home tomorrow between the hours of 10 am and 2 pm?"
"No to all of those."
"Thank you sir, no more questions."

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 02:51:20 PM »
If a survey asked me if I own a gun(s) there's good chance I would answer no and I suspect a rather large % of people would do the same. Number could, COULD, be quite low.

Edit: Thinking about it some more I may say I have handgun for defense but no to anything else.

If a survey asked me if I owned any guns there is no chance I would answer the question, truthfully or otherwise.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 03:05:07 PM »
Good info to have, especially should some unhinged lib devolve into FAAFO territory during a debate.

Agree with WLJ that the numbers are likely low due to gun owners' distrust of surveys and surveyors.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 03:14:09 PM »

If a survey asked me if I owned any guns there is no chance I would answer the question, truthfully or otherwise.

Why lie?  This was an online survey.  Assuming it was even halfway anonymized, wouldn't the whole US, and especially 2A advocates, be better off being shown that gun ownership was pretty mainstream?

I wouldn't provide an address, but demographics and gun ownership and use rates from folks like us only helps our narrative.

I am gratified to see this part:
Demographically, gun owners are diverse. 42.2% are female and 57.8% are male. Approximately 25.4% of Blacks own firearms, 28.3% of Hispanics own firearms, 19.4% of Asians own firearms, and 34.3% of Whites own firearms.

I'd like to see higher numbers, but am happy to see a broad swath of America using their rights.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 03:16:36 PM »
Why lie?  This was an online survey.  Assuming it was even halfway anonymized, wouldn't the whole US, and especially 2A advocates, be better off being shown that gun ownership was pretty mainstream?

I wouldn't provide an address, but demographics and gun ownership and use rates from folks like us only helps our narrative.

I'd like to see higher numbers, but am happy to see a broad swath of America using their rights.

Why I added my edit. My owning a gun (handgun) adds to the % but anything beyond that...?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 03:18:14 PM »
True that.

Personally I want to see M4's reported as "common use".

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 03:23:31 PM »
True that.

More than likely there's a somewhat solid figure on number sold. and unless they want to claim only a small number of people bought a hundred or more M4s each that should get you in the ball park about as well as a survey with all their known shortcomings.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 03:46:26 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 03:31:58 PM »
. . . I wouldn't provide an address, but demographics and gun ownership and use rates from folks like us only helps our narrative . . .
And since it's now accepted you can be part of any demographic you feel like at a given time, you might give some thought to pumping up select numbers, making for a more diverse sample set.   >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 03:35:12 PM »
And since it's now accepted you can be part of any demographic you feel like at a given time, you might give some thought to pumping up select numbers, making for a more diverse sample set.   >:D

I identify as American
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 04:24:35 PM »
I identify as American

I'm semifascist-American.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 04:27:32 PM »
True that.

And I want the fed.gov to legalize cannons, but that'll never happen...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 04:32:54 PM »
I'm semifascist-American.

The left would consider you a Semi-Fascist Fascist then.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2022, 05:30:11 PM »

If they have your telephone number, they either have or can get your address.

While I am extremely happy to see such high numbers, I agree that they are almost certainly still way too low. Like RKL, I don't do surveys. I mostly let all calls to my home go to the answering machine. If I answer because I'm expecting a call, and the caller is conducting a survey -- I just hang up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 05:36:51 PM »
If they have your telephone number, they either have or can get your address.

While I am extremely happy to see such high numbers, I agree that they are almost certainly still way too low. Like RKL, I don't do surveys. I mostly let all calls to my home go to the answering machine. If I answer because I'm expecting a call, and the caller is conducting a survey -- I just hang up.
No telephones were used in this this survey.

I guess I'm a little confused about who you are keeping the info from. The fed.gov has this much data and more just based on internet crawls, meta-data analysis, and financial records.

I doubt gun thieves are buying nationwide lists of the dark web, even if the survey company has some data breech.

The survey company itself could, I guess, be selling lists but the big ones make a big deal about not doing that for just this reason. 

I'm not saying you have to answer, or answer truthfully, I just think the whole "I'd never answer a survey about guns" is a particularly Boomer-esque response that probably doesn't protect your info in any meaningful way, and probably does make it a little harder for the folks trying to mainstream 2A culture.

You do you though.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2022, 05:38:01 PM »

You ARE being factious, right?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2022, 05:38:21 PM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2022, 05:57:12 PM »
The head of the executive branch has referenced the long-standing federal prohibition on cannon on numerous occasions. Come on, man.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2022, 06:13:49 PM »
Come on, man. Even dummy me got Perd's joke.

:laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2022, 07:35:03 PM »
Come on, man. Even dummy me got Perd's joke.

:laugh:

You know the thing.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2022, 07:37:59 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2022, 08:11:48 PM »
You know the thing.

I do, but it seems the forum has been inflitrated by dog-faced corn pop soldiers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."