Author Topic: Voted In TX Primary Elections  (Read 1582 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Voted In TX Primary Elections
« on: March 02, 2010, 01:32:16 PM »
Most of the offices I did not vote for any candidate,as my policy is not to vote for the sole unopposed candidate.

As for TX governor, I voted for Medina.

I plan on attending the precinct convention and will endure until my kiddos melt down (Mommy will be working 1900-0700).

My goal is to work on the side of the angels and ensure a RINO-free delegation to the district convention.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Voted In TX Primary Elections
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 01:57:08 PM »
Are they having a precinct convention this time around?  I wasn't sure if that was 2 years or 4 years.

I was considering Medina, if nothing else because I like her property tax idea.  I don't know any other candidates so I will likely leave most of it blank.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 03:07:34 PM »
Where did you vote? They hold voting in my work building (the NSERL lab at UTD). I suppose they hold it here simply to show off their fancy building. I thought it was interesting there were exactly 2 lines...one for democrat and one for republican. Do 3rd parties not have primary elections? Or are there no 3rd parties?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 03:19:16 PM »
Most 3rd parties probably have conventions.  Not enough people to do a state wide primary. 

Primaries are normally in the local city hall/civic center building in my area. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 03:25:42 PM »
Where did you vote? They hold voting in my work building (the NSERL lab at UTD). I suppose they hold it here simply to show off their fancy building. I thought it was interesting there were exactly 2 lines...one for democrat and one for republican. Do 3rd parties not have primary elections? Or are there no 3rd parties?

PM Incoming
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 04:23:57 PM »
I'll be voting in a few hours, and will probably vote for Medina.  I find all the candidates running offensive in some degree, including her.  Her stances that really bother me, though, she keeps in the right perspective (e.g. abortion being a states issue not a federal one, for instance)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »
I will stop and vote on the way home.  I also will vote for Medina.  A local law enforcement group sent out a flyer on the judges they support and why.  It makes sense as I never knew what judge to vote for.  Some of their picks are challengers....chris3

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 09:04:58 PM »
I didn't vote for hardly any of the down ticket people.  I just don't know who they are.  I need to work on finding out how to learn more about the local candidates. 

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 10:55:30 PM »
Well, I showed up to the precinct convention with both kids in tow (3 & 5 YO).

My plan was to stay as long as the kids behaved.  That plan was nixed out of the box, as while I was minding the kids I heard, "jfruser!  How do you vote?"  I had been minding the kids, not the precinct business for a moment and said "Yes!" when my daughter asked me if she should sit down.

So, a couple minutes later, the local Republican party precinct chair said something to the effect of, "As permanent precinct convention president(1), you are to follow this guide and run the convention."  Well, I'll be dipped in apple butter! I thought.  It seemed I had accepted the nomination and was voted in due to my previous "yes."  Oh, well, in for a penny, in for a pound...

So, we ran though the business of the precinct convention, all 11 of us, with 8 who had filled out forms indicating they could not attend, but would not mind being chosen as delegates to the district convention later this month.  That made 19.

First order of business was choosing those district delegates.  I accepted one of those nominations, but deferred to another gal for the single delegate to the state convention.  I had spoken to her previously and she is a Tea Party Patriot and her two resolutions called for less gov't involvement in the health care sector.  No RINO, she.

Then on to Resolution a-go-go.  13 resolutions, some not so well thought out.  Most were innocuous, but I had to intervene on a couple that were so mangled they needed some work with re-writes.  One I pretty much had to squash like a bug and then rebuild from the ground up.  The poor old gal had her heart in the right place, but no resolution calling for more gov't spending was going to get through this convention.  To soften the blow, I re-wrote it for her to get a similar effect by calling for cutting gov't regs & such.

Anyways, the kids got a bit restless, but were not too disruptive.  It helps that they are endearing to most folk.  They are much more popular than I am, frankly.  Cuter, too.

So,we passed some good resolutions, rewrote some so as to be more liberty-minded, and squashed like a bug one that would call for more gov't spending.

And I will go to the district convention...where I get another chance at becoming a delegate to the state convention, which I will seek out.

Woody Allen was right, at least as far as politics: "Eighty percent of success is showing up."

(1) or some such title signifying I was to keep things moving
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 02:33:33 PM »
Well I voted . . . cast my ballot for Medina. Perry loves toll roads too much, and he's the one who signed legislation giving tuition discounts at Texas universities to illegal aliens, so he's no prince. And of course, whatever support Hutchinson might have had evaporated with every robocall her campaign placed to my home. (Once is bad enough, but every hour or two from morning to night? That's harassment - no vote for you, <expletive>!  :mad: )

The nominee to run against my current democRAT congresscritter, Lord Dogget, shows promise, at least to judge by her commercials and campaign literature.

Otherwise, down-ballot choices left much to be desired; there's going to be a runoff for my state representative where the choices are the owner of a construction company who's made repeated contributions to democrats, and a Houston lawyer who moved into the district just a couple of months ago just so she could run for office. Both paint themselves as staunch conservatives. (At least both got "A" ratings from TSRA.)

And of course, a bunch of folks are running unopposed . . .

Next time, I'll vote on the FIRST day of early voting, so all the good candidates won't be gone already.  :laugh:

By the way, Bill White is the democrat nominee for governor - if you're a Texan pay attention to his TV commercials that show him as a youngster; in his youth, he looked a LOT like Howdy Doody . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 02:53:20 PM »
I have appreciated a trend lately on the Robocalls where they actually leave a 30 second message on my answering machine.  I never answer the phone for those calls anyway and I can still listen to them if I want to.

IMO, Bill White's only claim to fame is he was a better mayor than Lee P. Brown in Houston.  That isn't much to brag about.