Author Topic: Adding a printer to a network  (Read 1747 times)

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Adding a printer to a network
« on: September 17, 2009, 05:24:50 PM »
What would be the best way to add a printer to a wired network in my house.  I have a 3 or 4 year old HP laser Jet, it only has a usb or printer port conections.  My router is a D-link with the standard 5 ether-net ports.  What is the best way to add this printer to the network so that any computer in the house can use it? I don't have a ton of money to throw at this, but might be able to spring for a new router if need be.  I was wondering if wireless is the way to go?

"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Adding a printer to a network
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 06:16:36 PM »
I have a 3 or 4 year old HP laser Jet, it only has a usb or printer port conections.

USB print server.

Home routers will sometimes come with a usb port for this purpose.  Doesn't work unless you want your printer right where the router is.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:31:05 PM »
I just set my laserjet 6mp with a directjet 500x print server that is addressed via IP and connects to the parallel port

you can find them on ebay for 15 bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-JETDIRECT-300X-300X-PRINT-PRINTER-SERVER-J3263A_W0QQitemZ140345288319QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ad3b267f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:02:41 PM »
just set my laserjet 6mp with a directjet 500x print server that is addressed via IP and connects to the parallel port

As long as you don't mind doing the initial configuration via telnet.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:52:42 PM »
actually if you pull the power, hold the test button in, re power it, and hold the button for 7 seconds
it resets to DHCP

then you hod the test for 5 seconds and it prints a config page listing the IP address

then you can print to it via HPs IP based protocal.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
The older 10BaseT JetDirect print servers are dirt cheap and bulletproof.

Even the 100BaseT versions are affordable.

I used one for many years with no problems:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Jetdirect-300x-Print-Server-series-USED_W0QQitemZ190334480401QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c50d1b011&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »
Thank you all for your responses.  I have two printers, the HP laser jet and a HP photosmart, so I might look for a print server that can accept 2 printers.  My wife always checks out ebay first, I see what we can find there.  I was thinking that a HP printer server would be smart, should be compatible, I hope.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 05:28:47 PM »
The Photosmart may or may not work off a print server.  Check HP's support site.