Author Topic: Help kit out wife's car  (Read 4669 times)

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
Help kit out wife's car
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2005, 07:29:01 PM »
You could starve to death waiting for AAA to show up lol. Especially in a snow storm when everyone decides it's a good time to run off the road.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Help kit out wife's car
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 06:58:53 AM »
My experience with AAA exactly. Even in perfect weather, the towers who take AAA jobs have sometimes just not shown up if they thought it wasn't worth their while. AAA doesn't pay well and they know they can make more elsewhere.

I dropped AAA 20 years ago after they left me stranded in a blizzard. Never looked back.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Help kit out wife's car
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 08:49:57 AM »
*expletive deleted*it,  its a volvo 800 series.... is that a bad thing?  its a 97, we just got it.  its been a great little car thus far....
excellent choice.

Bookskin

Help kit out wife's car
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 10:47:30 AM »
Re: AAA  Only trouble I had was when the battery in the wife's car died. The AAA agent sold her a battery for over a $100. Complaints to "customer service" got a response of "tough, live with it." A complaint to the state consumer affairs office got a $60 refund. I just felt that it was unfair for AAA to decide to use the only national company that charges for battery installation as their excuse for such a price.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Help kit out wife's car
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2005, 03:39:58 PM »
I'd add half a dozen or so bungee cords, and a 10-20ft. coil of decent rope.

...oh, and at the risk of belaboring the obvious, a couple extra quarts of oil.

Also, 1-2 empty anti-freeze sized bottles.

An Oklahoma credit card/siphon pump. (thanks sm!)

Help kit out wife's car
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2005, 03:53:41 PM »
dasmi , i am glad you approve.  

Thanks for all the input, guys.  The kit is complete and snow in NE ohio is due anytime.  snow sucks

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Help kit out wife's car
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2005, 05:00:56 AM »
Definately 2 quarts of oil.
If an automatic, also a quart of tranny fluid.
If a manual, (or if your transmission fluid is NOT an acceptable alternative for power steering fluid), a pint of power steering fluid.
Roll of duct tape, tube of "Krazy Glue", tube of "JB Weld" - ( for emergency repairs of oil, tranny pan, gas tank,  and radiator)
1 gallon pre-mixed 50/50 water and antifreeze - (storebought, or make your own...) 1 gallon "bug juice" for squirter.
hose splices appropriately sized for your heater and radiator hoses.  Sharp boxcutter knife, extra hose clamps, screwdriver.
Transmission fluid funnel (can be used for oil & power steering fluid too, ) and a regular funnel.
1 can "infalte-a-tire" sealant.

MAKE SURE SHE KNOWS:
If all the oil leaks out, but the leak is temporarily or permanently fixed, she can dump the oil, the tranny fluid (10w oil with die), and power steering fluid (same as tranny fluid but no die)  into the sump and drive home only 1/2 quart low without huritng anything.

In the event of a coolant leak, she can put plain water, and the "bug juice" as well in, if needed to make it home - so long as the fluid is drained and real antifreeze is put in right away.

spare fuses, bulbs, belts, fuel filter, etc.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
Help kit out wife's car
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2005, 11:39:14 AM »
A few random thoughts:

A can of Fix-a-flat will often let you inflate a spare tire to the point where you can drive to a service station and get it fixed. (Let the mechanic know you used it though!)

An air compressor/flashlight that runs off the cigarette lighter is a good idea.

Hand held CBs with little rubber duckie antennas are next to useless.  I have an external magnet mount antenna for my Midland hand held CB that greatly improves range and reception, and was only about $20 at Radio Shack.

A poncho and first aid kit are a couple of things kept in my truck that I've used more than once.

For a flashlight, get a AA powered LED light and put lithium AA cells in it.  The lithium cells are more expensive but are a bit less sensitive to cold than alkalines, have longer run times, and a longer shelf life.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Help kit out wife's car
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2005, 11:58:50 AM »
Quote from: Dave Markowitz
A poncho and first aid kit are a couple of things kept in my truck that I've used more than once.

For a flashlight, get a AA powered LED light and put lithium AA cells in it.  The lithium cells are more expensive but are a bit less sensitive to cold than alkalines, have longer run times, and a longer shelf life.
Re: flashlights...I KNOW they're expensive & somewhat faddish, but the Faraday prinicple lights that you shake and never need batteries seem a good option to me.  There are some that are highly advertised, but some others are better, I think.
http://shakelight.notanumberinc.com/flashlight/comparison.shtml

Fig

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
Help kit out wife's car
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2005, 02:58:06 PM »
Quote from: Felonious Fig
Quote from: Dave Markowitz
Re: flashlights...I KNOW they're expensive & somewhat faddish, but the Faraday prinicple lights that you shake and never need batteries seem a good option to me.  There are some that are highly advertised, but some others are better, I think.
http://shakelight.notanumberinc.com/flashlight/comparison.shtml

Fig
I've read mixed reviews about the shake-'em-up lights on the ARFcom Survival Forum.  Some guys have had good ones, others not.  I'd definitely try it out before depending upon one.

I have two flashlights in my truck: a 2-D cell Garrity, and a Mini Maglite with the Nite Ize LED conversion and lithium AA cells.  I also keep a couple of light sticks as well.