Author Topic: Resume question...  (Read 1388 times)

mfree

• friend
Resume question...
« on: November 22, 2005, 07:21:50 AM »
I don't have too many jobs under my belt, but it's always a good thing to know ahead of time what to do in the situation that I need another.

Anyways, about resumes. I've been with this company for quite a while now, in teh grand scheme of things, but I've held three completely different jobs under that term..... software developer, analyst/technician/sysop, and now networking (Computer Operator III whaterver that means). The question is, are those treated as three seperate job entries, or is it all contained within the same company entry?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Resume question...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 07:33:18 AM »
I'm no pro but I'd list the company and then the various job titles you held underneath that. I know less is more when it comes to resumes so if you can keep it all on one page you'll be doing yourself a favor.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Resume question...
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 07:48:02 AM »
I'm going to e-mail you the resume that I've been using. It's been gone over by recruiters at IBM and SAIC (friends) who have vetted it for suitability in today's market.

If you don't get it from me by this evening, send me an e-mail at kframe_19@yahoo.com and remind me.

Essentially, 280 is right about the most current method of handling multiple positions at the same company.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
Resume question...
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 08:37:53 AM »
Could I see it too? I'll PM my email over at THR

Paddy

Resume question...
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 10:45:05 AM »
Ditto to keeping it all on one page.  Include the most recent information that's relevant to your objective.  I bullet titles and and responsibilities under each employer.  Remember, the purpose of the resume is to get you the interview, not to close the deal.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Resume question...
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 11:35:09 AM »
the more experience you get, the harder to virtually impossible it is to keep it to one page.

My resume is a good, solid, 2 pages, and it needs to be.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Resume question...
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 11:41:18 AM »
Hey 280...

I'm not on The High Road. Haven't been for almost 2 years.

Typhoon

• friend
Resume question...
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 12:17:06 PM »
I agree with using one company name and separate job titles.  If these job title changes were promotions, by all means say so.

Use action words/accomplishments that clearly indicate the contributions you made to the organization (something like: Standardized router configurations which improved performance and reliability between headquarters and branch offices.)  

For more experienced people, two pages are fine, but it is not recommended to go beyond that, unless you are a PhD or the like and have many publications (then it really becomes a CV&)

Bullets are great, as they break up the text and draw attention to where you want it to go.  Also, keep some white space on the page so your resume is easy to read.

I have been putting off updating my resume, so now is as good a time as any to take a look at my Lee Hecht Harrison (Global career management consultant firm) manual and see if there are any other tips I can pass along.
To the stars!

280plus

• friend
Resume question...
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 02:16:54 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Hey 280...

I'm not on The High Road. Haven't been for almost 2 years.
I did not know that...