Author Topic: Hurricane Idalia  (Read 2236 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Hurricane Idalia
« on: August 30, 2023, 07:36:43 AM »
Live feed
Making landfall at time of posting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Twdn4GowHA

Yikes
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Hurricane Idalia
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 07:59:11 AM »
Hoping Dogmush is prepped, ready, and safe! Do we have any other Florida members posting these days?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 08:04:21 AM »
Is this hurricane Trump's fault, or retribution for Trump's persecution?

I literally can't remember anymore.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 08:59:00 AM »
I blame The NRA and Oliver Anthony.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 09:37:26 AM »
We haven't sent enough climate change prevention money to Algore to keep hurricanes away from our shores.

My cousin owns (part of) a timeshare on Longboat Key near Tampa - it seems that most of this storm bypassed her property, staying offshore until it was well north. Last year, Hurricane Ian missed her to the south. So she's been bracketed . . .  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 12:15:58 PM »
I'm good. Was prepped and ready, but we rode it out fine.  Tampa still has 5-6 foot of storm surge, and high tide is in an hour. Lots of flooding in the canals and rivers from the water pushed ashore.

Of the 12 guys I work with, one got water in his patio/screen room, and two more got water about halfway up their yard.  Another dude's apartment complex was flooded, but he's on the second floor.

My aunt lives a bit farther north, and she had 4 but trees come down in her yard.

The Fed.gov shop was closed, but here in a couple hours, after the flooding subsides I'll drive down and see how much damage it took.  It's a lot closer to the water than my house.

There's going to be so e salt water damaged cars for sale next week.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 01:43:05 PM »
Glad to hear you made it through relatively unscathed? Did you lose power at all?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 02:36:46 PM »
Nope, but my aunt and cousin up in N. FL did.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2023, 06:09:54 PM »
OMG  :rofl:

"I've been in the same situation, folks," Biden said as he made remarks to the media regarding ongoing disaster relief efforts in Hawaii and Florida. "These hurricanes and storms flooding everything remind me of my own challenges. There was this one time, at a state dinner with the Pope, and I had to go see a man about a mule, so I go to the ladies' room, but they kick me out, so I go to the men's room, and I'm doing my thing there at the…at the…at the…the urinal…and it…and it…splashed back on me a little bit. My own urine. Can you believe that? Awful day. Anyway…"

Biden Comforts Hurricane Victims By Talking About Time The Urinal Splashed Back At Him A Little
https://babylonbee.com/news/biden-comforts-hurricane-victims-by-talking-about-time-the-urinal-splashed-back-at-him-a-little
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2023, 09:20:34 PM »
My cousin owns (part of) a timeshare on Longboat Key near Tampa - it seems that most of this storm bypassed her property, staying offshore until it was well north. Last year, Hurricane Ian missed her to the south. So she's been bracketed . . .  :O
Longboat Key had some tropical storm winds, but I think the worst thing was the Storm surge.  local news showed some flooding.  Bridges were closed to the barrier islands in Sarasota and Bradenton due to flooding from the surge.

I’m in Sarasota and had no damage.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2023, 05:51:18 AM »
Longboat Key had some tropical storm winds, but I think the worst thing was the Storm surge.  local news showed some flooding.  Bridges were closed to the barrier islands in Sarasota and Bradenton due to flooding from the surge.

I’m in Sarasota and had no damage.

One of my coworkers is in Sarasota.  He reported no real winds, but he lives on a canal, and the storm surge pushed the water into his screen room. He got probably 4-5 ft of surge.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2023, 07:10:35 AM »
A question-nugget I had:

I wonder how it might affect the tides and storm surges of any impending storms / hurricanes. 

So I looked it up:

https://earthsky.org/space/dos-the-supermoon-have-a-super-effect-on-us/

"And that’s why a closer moon can cause especially large ocean tides. "

I therefore reckon that the Supermoon would cause even higher storm surges than with the moon at apogee.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2023, 07:15:02 AM »
Double post
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 02:48:35 PM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2023, 08:29:05 AM »
Biden dragging out the kitchen fire story again, this time the house almost collapsed. No mention of the Corvette, maybe it died on a bridge, in Iraq.

Biden made his comparison during a speech on ongoing recovery efforts in Maui, which also included some comments on the state of Florida as it faces Hurricane Idalia.

Attempting to relate to the two disasters, Biden brought up dealing with lightning striking his home and causing a small fire. As he told it from the podium, Biden and his family were forced to stay out of the home for more than half a year for repairs.

After talking about devastation in Hawaii and multitudes of people being without homes, the president said, "I didn’t [have] anything like that, but lightning struck my house. We had to be out of that house for about seven months while it was repaired, because so much damage was done to the house."

"Half the house almost collapsed," he added.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-trashed-for-embellishing-house-fire-while-trying-to-relate-to-natural-disaster-victims-lying-again
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2023, 09:42:52 AM »
So is this genius to keep your roof from being blown off?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2023, 11:00:19 AM »
Looking at the boards he has under the straps, it might help keep the roof from getting peeled off.  Not sure what wind speed would be required to overcome that.  Also, I hope the stakes the straps are tied to are set deep. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2023, 02:20:55 PM »
Kinda depends on what he used for anchors.  One of the ways that storms take your roof off is a window or garage door on the windward side fails, and the wind piles up in the house and creates an overpressure that pushes the roof off from the inside.  multiple window/wall breeches that let air go straight through the house can cause the roof to create lift as well.  That strapping could help with that, especially if, as appears to be the case, those front windows are already compromised.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2023, 03:09:47 PM »
I think that guy had the situation under the best control possible given the imponderables of the storm.

That business of wind getting in broken windows and pushed-in garage doors was a big deal when they were first building houses in the Table Mesa subdivision of Boulder and one of the powerful so-called "Chinook" winds hit. It was a previously well-known extremely windy area of the city.  At the time, Boulder was referred to as "the windy city" among the CBers.

The new houses where the garages faced west lost their roofs when the wind blew garage doors in and got into the house itself.  They stopped puttting garage doors and picture windows on the west side of the houses and if recollection serves, they re-platted a few streets in the still-undeveloped area to avoid this problem of western garages.

At first I thought he put those wood strips over the edges of the roof to lift the straps to avoid damage to the rain gutters.  Now I guess it was a way to distribute stress.  Not sure, but he seemed to know what he was doing.

Given the imponderables.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 05:37:39 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2023, 08:55:08 PM »
https://earthsky.org/space/dos-the-supermoon-have-a-super-effect-on-us/

"And that’s why a closer moon can cause especially large ocean tides. "

I therefore reckon that the Supermoon would cause even higher storm surges than with the moon at apogee.

Shut up. That doesn't fit the narrative that global warmulating climate change causes every bad thing that happens -- ever.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2023, 09:39:35 PM »
Shut up. That doesn't fit the narrative that global warmulating climate change causes every bad thing that happens -- ever.

You shut up you evil old white man. "Climate change" is bigoted and climate-phobic. It's "climate fluid". Don't you dare presume to know what gender temperature the climate is!!!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2023, 07:35:43 AM »

And Trump. Don't forget Trump.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2023, 07:55:21 AM »
You shut up you evil old white man. "Climate change" is bigoted and climate-phobic. It's "climate fluid". Don't you dare presume to know what gender temperature the climate is!!!

Tides are fluid
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2023, 07:58:35 AM »
Tides are fluid

So, just like gender...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2023, 08:07:41 AM »
Tides are fluid

So, just like gender...

There are two tides
One standing (high) One sitting (low)
- Calvin and Hobbes