Author Topic: That Microsoft Office sure is spendy  (Read 8606 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
That Microsoft Office sure is spendy
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:06:51 AM »
So I've got this growing collection of computers, and I need to have a word processing program on at least some of them. 

I can get Microsoft Office '07 Pro Plus (Word, Excel, P-Point, One Note) for 89.99 through the university bookstore, and use it on two computers.

Or is Open Office a good alternative? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

jackdanson

• friend
Re: That Microsoft Office sure is spendy
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 02:15:16 AM »
Open office has always worked well for me... I'd save your cash.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:17:42 AM »
So I've got this growing collection of computers, and I need to have a word processing program on at least some of them. 

I can get Microsoft Office '07 Pro Plus (Word, Excel, P-Point, One Note) for 89.99 through the university bookstore, and use it on two computers.

Open office is decent enough.  I don't believe it's 100% compatible with Microsoft Office, though, so if you are ever going to be in a situation where it always absolutely has to work with other computers that are running Microsoft Office, I'd avoid it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 02:19:19 AM »
I couldn't stand Open Office.  Thing drove me batty(er).  I stick with Office, or in my case, Office:Mac.  The cost is annoying, but not prohibitive for the various home/student versions.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 03:13:05 AM »
Open office is decent enough.  I don't believe it's 100% compatible with Microsoft Office, though, so if you are ever going to be in a situation where it always absolutely has to work with other computers that are running Microsoft Office, I'd avoid it.

Interesting approach.  Buy Office now in case you might ever run into a situation where you need it?  Are you expecting it to not be available in the future?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 03:29:51 AM »
OO in Linux is a lot more enjoyable than OO in Windows.  Faster, looks nicer.

That said, I've seen two complaints about OO:

1.) Change tracking is absolutely terrible between OO and MS Word (WW.)  This isn't a problem for 99% of non-corporate users, but a lot of development teams use it intensively.  I tried to open one of my Dad's tech docs (with change tracking enabled with a different color for each person in his team) in OO for him and he pooped masonry at the result.
2.) Things, maybe, won't look exactly in WW the way they do in OO.  Who cares?  Export to PDF, built in.

Another alternative is AbiWord.  It's only a word processor, but it's got a pretty low footprint and was faster than OO the last time I used it (several years ago.)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 09:50:59 AM »
That's one thing I LOVE about working for who I work for. The full Office Suite professional version costs me $20 under our enterprise license. If I leave the company, though, I have to uninstall it.

Lotus Symphony is also free. I downloaded a copy some months ago to try it out when the company I'm subcontracted to talked about going to it. It's OK.

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/home

They also have a presentations package (PowerPoint type) and a spreadsheet package (Excel type). I didn't mess with either of those.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 09:52:13 AM »
That's one thing I LOVE about working for who I work for. The full Office Suite professional version costs me $20 under our enterprise license. If I leave the company, though, I have to uninstall it.

Same here... work at home rights or something like that.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 10:00:31 AM »
Yeah, Microsoft is way too proud of Microsoft Word. And I hate Office '07, but the price is probably the best you will come across...

Open Office takes forever to load...and it's got some quirks of it's own, but I cope with it at as a student. I normally only use it for papers and such. I take notes in Wordpad because it's quick loading, clutter free, and doesn't do weird *expletive deleted*it on it's own like Microsoft Word does (Open Office isn't as bad in that respect)
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 10:04:43 AM »
You should at least try Open Office.  If you're not a big user of Excel macros, it may serve you well.

I still have a copy of MS Office 2003 on one of my home machines, but the new desktop has OO, and the netbook came preinstalled with Star Office (OO is the open source  derivative of Star Office).   So far I get by fine with OO and SO.  Occasionally I have to move a file to the old machine and fire up MSOffice, but not often enough that I'm going to pay the price for the suite. 

If I got a sweetheart deal like some of the other people in this thread I'd likely stick with MSOffice.  It works well.  As it is, my pocketbook and my needs are well served.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 10:07:49 AM »
I liked OO, but it's formatting of documents is just different enough that I couldn't send a critical OO generated document without checking it in Word first.  It did nasty things to my resume.  Yes, I can export it as a PDF, but that isn't always an option.

It's really not a fault of OO.  If everyone was using OO, we'd be complaining about Word's formatting issues.  It's just an issue of market share.

BTW, you can get Office at a student discount if you have kids in school (elementary on up).   

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 10:12:19 AM »
I also have the $20 deal on MS Office. If I didn't need MS Office for work though, I'd be fine using OO. As others have said, it's almost fully compatible with MS Office, but the few little glitches mean that I would have to spend way too much time proofreading docs to look for the minor little formatting glitches that my boss' boss loves to publicly point out to people. If I didn't have that to contend with, I could do everything I want to do from the personal side with OO.

I actually also started using OO for work because of the freakin' .dbf non-support in Excel 2007. I find OO loads just as fast or faster for me than MS Office does.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »
For 90% of folks, Open Office will serve them as well as MS Office.

I prefer it for generation of resumes, as I can author the resume in OO and then export easily to .pdf and .html.  I export to .doc, but check to make sure it is still happy.

Work requires MS Office, though.  Too many company-developed VBA apps, too many docs with comments, etc.  I always keep a copy of OO handy at work, though, in either Portable Apps flavor or on another work machine.  OO will open corrupted/old/whatevered MS Office documents long after your version of MS Office cries out, "No mas!"

Frankly, unless you have requirements that necessitate MS Office, run OO.

There are several pros/cons of both, but I find the semi-auto word completion in OO to be just spiffy.  It even learns as you go, so your specific jargon then becomes part of its vocabulary.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 12:44:34 PM »
I have played with OO. It has some serious issues for some people, but most people will find it adequate for their needs. It is not the panacea that the the Microsoft haters claim it is, but what do you want for free?
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 01:15:23 PM »

You think that's spendy?  Wait until you have to buy it in the real world.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 01:25:48 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 01:36:37 PM »
Yes, I do think it's spendy.  A steal compared to the normal price of course.  Still spendy for my meager income.

Thanks for all the advice.  If I can create documents in OO, and then check them with Word, I guess I'll be fine.  Still might buy it, though, just to upgrade to the newer version. 

BTW, where does the "real world" actually begin?  In high school, they told me that college would be the "real world."  In college, they were still telling me about the "real world" that I hadn't reached yet.  When I quit college and went into the service, I was never accused of being "not in the real world."  Now I work a full-time civilian job, pay a mortgage, and I'm taking a couple of classes at night.  Is that not the "real world"?  ???

:P

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »
When you stop complaining about getting an 80% discount on something, that's real world. ;)

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 02:33:35 PM »
Just don't buy Quark Express or Adobe Creative Suite.

We'll never hear the end of it, then.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 03:00:14 PM »
I can get Office for "free", on my research budget. I still don't have it though, because Openoffice has always worked for me. I do however run linux; I don't know what the *dows version is like.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »
The real world is when you DON'T get an 80% discount.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 05:06:54 PM »
When you stop complaining about getting an 80% discount on something, that's real world. ;)

Hm.  I didn't complain, but I may have had the wrong price in mind.  I was thinking it retailed at $150, but that is for a more basic version. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 05:10:22 PM »
OpenOffice works for me, and I use it for professional purposes.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 05:26:14 PM »
I was thinking it retailed at $150, but that is for a more basic version. 

A single-user license for Office Pro Plus runs about $450, street.  $150 gets you the Office Standard to Office Pro upgrade license. 

Them there softwares can get 'spensive.

Brad
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 06:38:16 PM »

Get it, try it.  What are you out if it doesn't do what you want?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »
Lotus Symphony is also free. I downloaded a copy some months ago to try it out when the company I'm subcontracted to talked about going to it. It's OK.

Oh, my.  I was completely unaware of that.

Alas, it won't run on my old iBook ("late 2001", PPC not Intel).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.