Author Topic: September 11 -- National Day of Service  (Read 900 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
September 11 -- National Day of Service
« on: August 27, 2009, 11:05:11 PM »
I don't know how I missed this, because apparently the legislation was signed back in April. This September 11th will be the first "National Day of Service and Remembrance" day. Personally, I think that sucks. This is a special day of remembrance of a specific event. Linking it to another agenda does a grave disservice to everyone who died on that day and to everyone who responded on that day.

There is nothing wrong with having a National Day of Service, but there are about 300 other days in the year with nothing attached to them that could have been used.

--------------------
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/sept_11/090827_National_Day_of_Service_and_Remembrance

National Day of Service
and Remembrance
Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act

Updated: Thursday, 27 Aug 2009, 10:07 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 27 Aug 2009, 4:30 PM EDT

* ARUN KRISTIAN DAS
    * MYFOX NEW YORK STAFF

MYFOXNY.COM - This Sept. 11 will mark the first time that the anniversary of the terrorist attacks is being recognized as a National Day of Service and Remembrance.

Earlier this year, President Obama called on Americans to commit part of the summer to volunteerism or some other kind of community action and service. The United We Serve effort began June 22 and runs through Sept. 11.

If you haven't found a volunteer opportunity yet, there is still time to make a difference, even if you set aside a little time this Sept. 11 to plan or perform at least one good deed that helps someone or to support a cause that you care about.

The National Day of Service and Remembrance was created by the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act, which President Obama signed in April to help encourage and facilitate community service across the country.

Many nonprofit groups are looking for volunteers to help with their projects. You can also create your own projects or sign up to help. See the sidebar for resources.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

slugcatcher

• friend
Re: September 11 -- National Day of Service
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:01:25 PM »
I don't know how I missed this, because apparently the legislation was signed back in April. This September 11th will be the first "National Day of Service and Remembrance" day. Personally, I think that sucks. This is a special day of remembrance of a specific event. Linking it to another agenda does a grave disservice to everyone who died on that day and to everyone who responded on that day.

There is nothing wrong with having a National Day of Service, but there are about 300 other days in the year with nothing attached to them that could have been used.

No narcissism in this administration at all. I don't know what bothers me more, that this was done or that the public isn't more upset by it.

Waitone

• friend
Re: September 11 -- National Day of Service
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 04:04:30 PM »
I don't know what bothers me more, that this was done or that the public isn't more upset by it.
More midnight legislation.  People aren't upset because they don't know about it.  I predict trouble when folks figure out what's happenin'. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon