Author Topic: Bits  (Read 8598 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Bits
« on: August 05, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »
Where does "bit" come from?  As in "shave and a hair cut, 2 bits?"

12.5 cents.  1 bit.  Who the heck decided we needed to deal with half-cents at the 12 cent threshold, but we don't have half-penny coins, and the dime, nickel and penny weren't enough to handle our currency needs?  Was there ever a "bit" coin?

And... computers have 8 bits to a byte.  8 bits in currency equal one dollar.  Coincidence?

Or... does bit have some inherent relation to octets?  I don't remember ever coming across a reference to anything relating to bits in my music theory classes (octaves).
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Bits
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:58:50 PM »
pieces iz pieces
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 05:13:24 PM »
Wikipedia is correct, or at least they agree with Samuel Eliot Morison's explanation in his Oxford History of the American People. If I remember rightly, Morison wrote that the Spanish dollar was the predominant form of currency in colonial New York, and eighth parts of Spanish coins became known as "bits" or "pieces of eight."

Wikipedia also agrees with what I have previously read about the term "bit" in information technology.  "Binary digit."  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit

Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pieces_of_eight
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:17:26 PM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 06:27:25 PM »
Wikipedia also agrees with what I have previously read about the term "bit" in information technology.  "Binary digit."  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 07:36:26 PM »
There is also a unit of currency smaller that the cent which has largely gone out of use (from what I've read almost no currency in this denomination has been issued since 1960), the Mill, or, 1/1000th of a Dollar or 1/10th of a Cent. Used mostly for tax purposes way back in the day and produced in the form of stamps (or other low value materials.) A bit could in turn be properly represented by a dime, two pennies and 5 one mill stamps.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »
There is also a unit of currency smaller that the cent which has largely gone out of use (from what I've read almost no currency in this denomination has been issued since 1960), the Mill, or, 1/1000th of a Dollar or 1/10th of a Cent. Used mostly for tax purposes way back in the day and produced in the form of stamps (or other low value materials.) A bit could in turn be properly represented by a dime, two pennies and 5 one mill stamps.

Ahhh that explains why levies here (OH) are proposed in millage.  Thanks kgbsquirrel.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 07:49:01 PM »
Here's a picture of some Missouri sales tax mill tokens.  http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.112246665.jpg

I seem to remember seeing some of these somewhere a long time ago.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:02:28 PM »
And... computers have 8 bits to a byte.  8 bits in currency equal one dollar.  Coincidence?

Or... does bit have some inherent relation to octets?

It's a coincidence.  A byte wasn't always 8 bits (and probably still isn't on some systems in operation) but that's now the norm.  We use it interchangeably with octet (which absolutely means 8 bits) in casual conversation even though it's not a guarantee that byte=octet in all cases.

There's no relation to music.  At least not an intentional one.  It's just that segmenting things into 8 works well mathematically as you can divide it in half a few times and there's probably something pleasing about that level of separation between notes that resonates (no pun intended) with the human hearing mechanism.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 11:36:18 PM »
Does anybody besides me remember the days when radio-telegraphy first progressed to punch tapes?  (OK, I was not around then, but half the junk I worked on as a USMC crypto tech still ran off punch tapes.)

Those tapes could hold a maximum of 8 holes in a straight line across without being weakened to the point of tearing.  When "computing" came along punch tapes preceeded punchcards - and you had your 8 bits/bytes.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 11:40:35 PM »
You could have so much fun with the "holes" punched out of those tapes. Fill someones boots with them, Tape them over a door in a bag so that it opens and dumps on the next person to open the door.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 01:07:32 AM »
You could have so much fun with the "holes" punched out of those tapes. Fill someones boots with them, Tape them over a door in a bag so that it opens and dumps on the next person to open the door.

Or you could spend hours looking for the one that got wedged between contact points and was creating another problem besides the one that first showed up which is why I was awakened at 2 AM to go fix the bleeping machine.  Setting mechanical contact gaps of mere 10,000ths of an inch with feeler guages while being sleep deprived was a spectacle to behold.  Doing it in a tent lit by a Coleman lantern, with rainwater inches deep on the ground, was even better.  Did I mention the fact that I hated those little yellow dots?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 01:30:43 AM »
It's the smallest piece ("bit") of information possible.

I seem to recall from long ago that a byte (lower case "b") was four bits, and eight bits was a Byte (with a capital "B").  (?)

Hey, we're talkin' 50 years ago, here.  I took my first computing engine course in the early 60s.  ... that's 1960s, not Babbage's 1860s.

Despite what you might be thinking.

Nowadays, with our penchant for acronymizing everything, it would have been called a SPOIP instead of a "bit."

As in, "That machine has a 64-SPOIP processor."

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:19:36 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 08:30:14 AM »
Actually the term for a 4-bit piece of information is a nybble. Bits, nybbles and bytes. :)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 11:36:06 AM »
Actually the term for a 4-bit piece of information is a nybble. Bits, nybbles and bytes. :)

Just to add to the confusion, four bits (zeros or ones) can be handily represented by a single hexadecimal character: 0 .. F ( 0123456789ABCDEF )

So a byte is represented by two hex characters: 0x00 .. 0xFF (0x being a prefix indicating hex).

So it all works out real handy if you are messing with that stuff, or herding bits and bytes as I say.

BTW, have you ever noticed how tape measures have 1/8" marks?

It's a conspiracy, I tell you  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »
Actually the term for a 4-bit piece of information is a nybble. Bits, nybbles and bytes.

Thank you, kgbsquirrel! My memory of these things fades.

So 16 bits is a chomp?

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 01:16:33 PM »
Thank you, kgbsquirrel! My memory of these things fades.

So 16 bits is a chomp?

Nope.  It's typically referred to as a word.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »
I thought 32 bits was a word?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »
I thought 32 bits was a word?

32 bits is a 32 bit word

16 bits is a 16 bit word

64 bits is a 64 bit word

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 05:03:21 PM »
Word?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 02:49:22 AM »
double post

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 02:54:48 AM by 230RN »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 02:54:23 AM »
OK.

1 bit is a bit

4 bits is a nybble

8 bits is a byte (or a dollar)

16 bits is a chomp

32 bits is a chaw

64 bits is a gobble

128 bits is a gnaw

256 bits is a gulp

Right?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 04:03:52 AM »
OK.

1 bit is a bit

4 bits is a nybble

8 bits is a byte (or a dollar)

16 bits is a chomp

32 bits is a chaw

64 bits is a gobble

128 bits is a gnaw

256 bits is a gulp

Right?

Except you need to replace the first vowel in those words with a "Y".

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 04:19:47 AM »
"Except you need to replace the first vowel in those words with a 'Y'."

YK.

1 byt = byt

4 byts = nybble

8 byts = byte (or a dyllar)

16 byts = chymp

32 byts = chyw

64 byts = gybble

128 byts = gnyw

256 byts = gylp

Ryght?

?

Y ryspectfully quystion thy wyrth yf yyur ydea.

Tyrry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:36:05 AM by 230RN »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 01:32:28 PM »
Y ryspectfully quystion thy wyrth yf yyur ydea.

Hey, I can read Welsh now!   :cool: