Author Topic: Whale Wars War  (Read 8603 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Whale Wars War
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 08:59:09 PM »
By the by, in pursuit of the noble effort that is enraging Hippy Scum(tm) to the point of aneurysm, PTK has insisted that I mention that the ship I was stationed aboard ran over a pregnant right whale while exiting Chesapeake Bay back in 2004.

Wasp-class amphib: 1

Right Whale: 0

Right whale in the wrong place.  ;)

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 09:12:12 PM »
Right whale in the wrong place.  ;)

Sometimes your puns are groaners..  but this one had hot soup broth out my nose!    =D

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 09:18:33 PM »
Everything reminds of music... Dr. John- "I was In The Right Place"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 01:45:12 AM »
I guess  those guys are losers- I hate reality shows anyway.

I am however, 100 percent against whaling.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 03:53:55 AM »
Do any merc corporations have any naval assets?

I've got a scoped 1917 Enfield and a friend with a canoe.  How much do you think they'd be willing to pay, and will they tow us?

taurusowner

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 04:12:26 AM »
Seriously.  There seems to be an inordinate amount of thuggery taking place on the oceans theses days.  Between Somalian pirates, these eco-terrorists, and cartels in the Gulf, all threatening the the holdings of large corporations, I'm surprised no private military contractor is taking advantage of the situation.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 07:26:42 AM »
Seriously.  There seems to be an inordinate amount of thuggery taking place on the oceans theses days.  Between Somalian pirates, these eco-terrorists, and cartels in the Gulf, all threatening the the holdings of large corporations, I'm surprised no private military contractor is taking advantage of the situation.

A few of them have but so far it hasn't really been a money maker.  My company never even thought about it.  Add to that the various and sundry laws and it's probably more trouble than it's worth.  

BW was the only company that had their own ship but they sold it.  

Feral Jundi has a pretty good collection of related articles.
http://feraljundi.com/category/maritime-security/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:52:56 AM by Dannyboy »
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2010, 08:27:03 AM »
isn't part of the trouble the whole circus of laws you'd have to deal with?  unless you could just stay at sea indefinitely? and any pusuit or action would have to be careful to avoid crossing one of those invisible lines in the ocean.   and getting a flag to fly under could be problematic    i don't believe letters of marque are in style anynore
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2010, 09:27:48 AM »
isn't part of the trouble the whole circus of laws you'd have to deal with?

Laws are for people who get caught.  I'd think a company with significant assets at risk would be willing to pay plenty under the table for someone who can discreetly make the problem disappear, without involving anyone who would want a lot of paperwork filled out.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »
BW was the only company that had their own ship but they sold it.  

I bet $10 I know why the sold her. I spent time on her back when she was the McArthur. We always called her the McBarfer. Terrible design, even after the stability retrofit. Poetic justice would be Watson buying her.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."