Author Topic: "Some distant part of the Universe"  (Read 8638 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"Some distant part of the Universe"
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »
Been watching Farscape on Netflix.

The intro credits bug me.

If you don't know WHERE in the Universe you are, or the breadth of the Universe, how can it be a "distant" part of it?

Put it into a global scale.  For example, you live in Denver, CO.  You get kidnapped, and wake up in a field.  You have no idea where the field is.  No signs, no civilization or structures around you.  It could be Zimbabwe, it could be Tazmania, or it could be Kansas.  You wouldn't call it "distant" until you know where Denver was in relation to where you are.

Crichton doesn't know where he is, and he doesn't know where Earth is.  How can he be in a "distant" part of the Universe?

Sheesh.

[/vent]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: "Some distant part of the Universe"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 12:58:38 PM »
Put it into a global scale.  For example, you live in Denver, CO.  You get kidnapped, and wake up in a field.  You have no idea where the field is.  No signs, no civilization or structures around you.  It could be Zimbabwe, it could be Tazmania, or it could be Kansas.  You wouldn't call it "distant" until you know where Denver was in relation to where you are.

Or else you could be 70 miles east of Denver.  It is amazing how empty it still is out there.

Of course, you can (sometimes) still see the Rockies from out there.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 01:06:52 PM »
If you don't know WHERE in the Universe you are, or the breadth of the Universe, how can it be a "distant" part of it?

The odds?

There's a lot more "far" in the Universe, then there is the small bubble of "near" (by any reasonable definition) that surrounds the Sol System.

So if you are dropped into some random location in the Universe, the overwhelming odds are that it's somewhere "far".
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »
Different constellations, "sun's" positions and timing, same with moons.

Like this:

http://cosmographica.com/gallery/portfolio3/albums/large/normal_108_Rhiannon.jpg

And distant is relative.  To me, Denver-Aurora is a distant part of Colorado. In fact, anything south of Highway 6 might as well be Guatemala.

Y' know, the last time I brought up something like this on a forum, everybody was all over me for not "suspending reality."  But two things that bother me in stories are anachronisms and plot holes.

Not that your instance is a plot hole, but I understand from where you're coming.  Stuff like that just "thrown out" in a story can be jarring.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
Pic is an example of the art of Don Dixon, which you can Google to find more.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:53:31 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »
Crichton's little space capsule wasn't capable of faster-than-light travel, was it?

He wasn't able to recognize even distorted constellations, was he?

In such a case, "distant" as a descriptor isn't out of line.

(Sheesh, here I am, defending a show I didn't even like very much and seldom watched after the first few episodes . . .)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 02:49:36 PM »
Download Celestia from shatters.net and travel even a few hundred light years from Earth.  You will not be able to recognize any of our constellations.

In my current novel, one of the main characters is lost and is trying to find Earth with very few reference points.  In fact, the only thing she recognizes are the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, which are the only things that confirm for her that she's still in the same damn galaxy.

My biggest "Aha!" moment in BSG was when I recognized Orion and Lepus in the starfield.  I really appreciated that detail, especially since they didn't draw attention to it.  It was like a little gimme to observant viewers to let them know they were getting close to Earth.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 03:00:03 PM by Devonai »
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »
Download Celestia from shatters.net and travel even a few hundred light years from Earth.  You will not be able to recognize any of our constellations.

In my current novel, one of the main characters is lost and is trying to find Earth with very few reference points.  In fact, the only thing she recognizes are the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, which are the only things that confirm for her that she's still in the same damn galaxy.

Exactly my point.

With no point of reference to work with, he could be a mere 200 LY away and in the same galaxy.  Let alone a "distant part of the Universe."  Yeah, that's out of range of Crichton's craptastic little module.  But that would also apply if he was orbiting Mars somehow and wanted to go back to Earth.  Depending on position, that would be between 50 million to 400 million miles.  Relative child's play compared to interstellar or intergalactic travel.  Anything more than 2 days' travel at 50k-mph (about 2.5 million miles, assuming infinite fuel) is out of the module's range due to insufficient life support capabilities. ;/  That's granting it the capability to achieve 50k-mph speeds.

"Unknown" is much more accurate than "distant."

"Distant" may be a single starburst-jump away for their ship in Farscape, if they just knew the direction to go.  They (the advanced races) just don't know what or where "Earth" is.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »
And while I'm certainly no physicist, I believe that if one jumps into a wormhole, he is going to come out somewhere that is bound by the reaches of the Galaxy from which he enters the wormhole.

Doesn't seem sensible to me at all, that a wormhole would allow intergalactic travel.  Seems like it should be bound to the gravity well of its closest singularity, sun or at least its Galaxy.

So I operate under the assumption that Crichton is still in the Milky Way Galaxy, somewhere.  A "distant" part of the Universe would certainly be outside of our Galaxy, but still in one that we knew and could see from Earth.
--Lysander Spooner

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
And distant is relative.  To me, Denver-Aurora is a distant part of Colorado. In fact, anything south of Highway 6 might as well be Guatemala.

Y' know, the last time I brought up something like this on a forum, everybody was all over me for not "suspending reality."  But two things that bother me in stories are anachronisms and plot holes.

TeeVee and movie "skiffy" has never been real good with distance.  
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
In my current novel, one of the main characters is lost and is trying to find Earth with very few reference points.  In fact, the only thing she recognizes are the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, which are the only things that confirm for her that she's still in the same damn galaxy.

One of A. E. van Vogt's novels, I think it was Weapon Shops of Isher, has an amusing scene.  The protagonist finds himself in a bit of a tight spot.  He's (going on memory here) piloting an experimental starship, never flown before, and he's surrounded by his enemies.  He thinks "Alpha Centauri is, umm, that-a-way.", points the prow into the southern sky, and floors it.  By the time he stops, he recognizes nothing.    His getting home finally involves the intervention of a spiderey higher power.

Download Celestia from shatters.net and travel even a few hundred light years from Earth.  You will not be able to recognize any of our constellations.

Robert Heinlein makes much the same point in Orphans of the Sky, with regard to naked eye navigation within evan a well understood solar system.  Mistaking Antares for Mars, because they're both fuzzy red dots, is a deadly error.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:40:17 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 05:09:46 PM »
Doesn't seem sensible to me at all, that a wormhole would allow intergalactic travel.  Seems like it should be bound to the gravity well of its closest singularity, sun or at least its Galaxy.

You could probably duck through a plothole and come out in another galaxy  ;)

But the anachronistic forces might tear your ship to pieces  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »
But what if he had a flux capacitor fully charged with chronistic forces?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 06:17:21 PM »
But what if he had a flux capacitor fully charged with chronistic forces?

Wouldn't that require a lot of time to charge up  ???

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 06:21:15 PM »
Wouldn't that require a lot of time to charge up  ???

Nah, not when you just subvert it from the event horizon of any garden variety black hole.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 06:23:12 PM »
This is why mapping pulsars is handy. (And I'm surprised no one has mentioned them yet.)

Get lost? Hang a radio antenna out the window for a minute, pick out a few pulsars of specific discrete frequencies that you've already plotted while back on Earth and add a dash of distance calculation, a dollop of relativity and a sprinkle of trigonometry, blend well and let simmer, and a short time later you'll know where "here" is, and more importantly, which way to point yourself to get back "there."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 06:27:29 PM by kgbsquirrel »

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 06:28:50 PM »
Aye, reference points outside of your own galaxy would make the best signposts, if you know how to find them.  Crichton could have benefited from this system if he'd bothered to take that info with him on his test flight.  It would have required a lot of assumptions on his part, to the point of risking deus ex machina by the writers, but then he wouldn't have gotten himself lost, just stranded.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 06:40:27 PM »
AZRedhawk44,

For what it's worth, your thinking of wormholes being local entry/exit ports is common, if incorrect. :)

Pick up a copy of Kip S. Thorne's "Black Holes and Time-Warps" for some fantastic, down to Earth reading on the subject.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
One of A. E. van Vogt's novels, I think it was Weapon Shops of Isher, has an amusing scene.  The protagonist finds himself in a bit of a tight spot.  He's (going on memory here) piloting an experimental starship, never flown before, and he's surrounded by his enemies.  He thinks "Alpha Centauri is, umm, that-a-way.", points the prow into the southern sky, and floors it.  By the time he stops, he recognizes nothing.    His getting home finally involves the intervention of a spiderey higher power.....

"First star on the right, straight on 'til morning." [tinfoil]

And .... I think the Robinson Family had a similar problem in an even older TV series .......  [tinfoil] [popcorn] :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
GPS.  Problem solved. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 08:04:32 PM »
GPS.  Problem solved. :P

Galactic Pulsar System?  :P

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
Galactic Pulsar System?  :P

Indeed. That's why we put it on the Pioneer plaques. Although the odds are still almost infinitely higher someone from Earth in the next few centuries will step out and pick it up for recovery to go put it in the Tycho annex of the Smithsonian or something.

Also, the wayward traveler can also pick up on several other signposts to triangulate their position, such as certain energetic hypergiants and other phenomena like Cephid variables.

AZRedhawk44,

For what it's worth, your thinking of wormholes being local entry/exit ports is common, if incorrect. :)

Pick up a copy of Kip S. Thorne's "Black Holes and Time-Warps" for some fantastic, down to Earth reading on the subject.

Yah, they could pop out almost anywhere. And the Universe being 99.999999999999% empty intergalactic space, odds are one would dump you out somewhere rather devoid of anything interesting to do other than measure redshifts of other galaxies and clusters before you ran out of energy or life support.

The real problem with wormholes though, besides having no clue where one will take you is the almost astronomical amounts of energy it would take to "tweeze" one from the quantum background "fabric" or "foam" of space-time, then focus and force down it's gullet to get it to widen out to the macro scale so you could throw something in it, like a ship, .  We're talking energy densities that will just as easily turn into a singularity/black hole on you. Plus, the disturbance of putting something into the wormhole will require even more insane amounts of energy to keep it open and stable.

We're talking the energy output of an entire star, maybe to open a wormhole big enough to be usable. And of course no one has any idea of how you'd manage that much energy should you be able to procure it.

Arthur C. Clarke once said that he thought Gamma Ray Bursters (gamma ray pulses we detect at intergalactic distances, even bigger than supernovae) might be evidence of really, really, really bad "industrial accidents".  =D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:22:18 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 10:33:12 PM »
Yah, they could pop out almost anywhere. And the Universe being 99.999999999999% empty intergalactic space, odds are one would dump you out somewhere rather devoid of anything interesting to do other than measure redshifts of other galaxies and clusters before you ran out of energy or life support.

It does seem rather Improbable, doesn't it?

Rob Morse

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 10:49:09 PM »
"distant" means lost.  You need better directions than "lost"?  Shesh.  Some people.  ;-)

I liked the show, but it took a while to grow on me.
I'd rather be a citizen than a subject.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 11:05:36 PM »
If a guy was driving, he'd never ask for directions. [popcorn] :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 01:48:13 AM »
If a guy was driving, he'd never ask for directions. [popcorn] :P

And Chrichton is ALL MAN.

Aeryn Sun? Eh... half-man... at least. (Runs for cover, Claudia Black was always a bit butch for my tastes.  =D )
I promise not to duck.