Author Topic: "Some distant part of the Universe"  (Read 8635 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: "Some distant part of the Universe"
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »
If I recall, Chrichton is an astronaut. (I think I've seen the equivalent one episode of Farscape, total.)

As such, he should be familiar with stellar objects.

Can he not surmise that he is in a distant part of the universe if the galaxies he can see (aided, obviously) are unfamiliar?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »
Astronauts are not necessarily astronomers, and unless he brought a full-color photo book of Messier objects (or has them loaded on a smart phone, PDA, etc), I would imagine he is crap out of luck.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 11:30:26 AM »
If I recall, Chrichton is an astronaut. (I think I've seen the equivalent one episode of Farscape, total.)

As such, he should be familiar with stellar objects.

Can he not surmise that he is in a distant part of the universe if the galaxies he can see (aided, obviously) are unfamiliar?

Actually, he wasn't just an astronaut/test-pilot, but was also the physicist who developed the wormhole tech. (his run in the module was not supposed to "work", just generate some low level er... pre-wormhole data to get some confirmation of his theories.)

So, yeah, a guy like that could probably be smart enough to look for a few notable galaxies/Messier objects or the Megelannic clouds using Moya's and Pilot's help to at least make an educated guess if he was still at least in the Milky Way. Even looking at the central black hole in the core might give him some clues. Even with our primitive 21st century tech we have "movies" of the stars orbiting the central black hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE_uPcRV5hE&NR=1

On top of that, there's a few objects in the galaxy that are visible in some wavelength or another from most anywhere in the galaxy unless the core is directly in the way. A couple of starbursts due galactic north/south to get above/below the disk for a better view would make this even easier.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:35:41 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 11:34:07 AM »
Astronauts are not necessarily astronomers, and unless he brought a full-color photo book of Messier objects (or has them loaded on a smart phone, PDA, etc), I would imagine he is crap out of luck.

His little "module" probably had radar, laser rangefinding, and radio triangulation to the Space Shuttle from which it launched, and purely for re-docking purposes.  There were computer systems in it, but they were specialized to the flight instruments he had and were not generalized Windows/Linux boxes against which he would have accidentally thrown in "Google Space" or some other mediocre program accidentally.

I doubt even the Space Shuttle launches with anything sophisticated enough to analyze the night sky and determine constellations.  Unless one of the astronauts happens to bring his Android phone. ;/  The shuttles still launch with 486-era computers running everything.  There may be payloads that contain more sophisticated equipment by accident... but I suspect the orbiter itself is blind to the stars and relies on GPS and ground-based radio telemetry.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »
Aeryn Sun? Eh... half-man... at least.

Well, if you were married to this:

I don't doubt that you would find Aeryn Sun radiant.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 12:17:23 PM »
 [barf]  I thought "Predator" was bad ........  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 12:59:50 PM »

I doubt even the Space Shuttle launches with anything sophisticated enough to analyze the night sky and determine constellations.  Unless one of the astronauts happens to bring his Android phone. ;/  The shuttles still launch with 486-era computers running everything.  There may be payloads that contain more sophisticated equipment by accident... but I suspect the orbiter itself is blind to the stars and relies on GPS and ground-based radio telemetry.

The space shuttle mounts two optical star trackers that is uses to calibrate the IMU's and correct them for drift.

http://www.ballaerospace.com/page.jsp?page=104

Various versions of these "electro-optical sextants" (my term) have been used regularly for the past half century of space flight, be it exploratory/commercial shots or sub-orbital/fractional orbit weapon systems.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »
The space shuttle mounts two optical star trackers that is uses to calibrate the IMU's and correct them for drift.

http://www.ballaerospace.com/page.jsp?page=104

Various versions of these "electro-optical sextants" (my term) have been used regularly for the past half century of space flight, be it exploratory/commercial shots or sub-orbital/fractional orbit weapon systems.

Sweet.  I am happy to be proven wrong.  Very neat tech.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
Sweet.  I am happy to be proven wrong.  Very neat tech.

Yup, very neat stuff. And fictional story not withstanding, if Chrichton's pod had been carrying even one of the new, small, Star Trackers, such as from Ball Aerospace, it would already have the star catalogs stored on board.

Hmm, I wonder if I can get one for my truck? Suck it, Garmin! :D