Author Topic: How Do You Hold Your Steering Wheel?  (Read 8635 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
How Do You Hold Your Steering Wheel?
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »
I just saw this link in a work email sent to our safety contacts list. I have known about safety organizations wanting us to get away from "10 and 2" for a while, yet am really bad about doing it after driving the "old" way for so many years (though my "old" way is usually one hand on the top of the steering wheel and the other on the armrest).

I hadn't seen the "avoid hand over hand turning" thing before though. Factoring in the probability of an air bag going off (or more accurately, not going off), this seems to be a clunky way to turn, especially if you have to do a quick, tight turn.

How do you all hold your steering wheels?

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/21/10795756-get-with-the-times-youre-driving-all-wrong
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: How Do You Hold Your Steering Wheel?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »
10 and 2.  But then, noting I own has airbags.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »
10 and 2, it's hard to unlearn the old way.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
With my knee, it is easier to hold the phone and text that way.

j/k  :P
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »
10 and 2. I have experimented with the low grip, but can't acclimate to it.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
10 O'clock.

Couple of years ago when I had the wreck I was holding the wheel at 10 & 2.  Got the 3rd & 4th fingers of both hands pretty well screwed by the airbag.  Still cannot make a fist with the right hand (4th finger does not close all the way) which also gives me some small problems with skinny handgun stocks.  But since I got rid of those itty-bitty things on the J-frames years ago it really does not make much difference.

The 3 & 9 shuffle your hands manuever was explained to me as avoiding having both hands come off the wheen when making a sharp turn.  :facepalm:  You cannot make a sharp turn if you are doing the 3 & 9 shuffle your hands move.  :facepalm:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:49 AM »
When I'm doing it "right" -- 9 and 3. I'm old enough that I was taught 10 and 2, but then I got into sports car racing and 10 &2 does not work well for precise control at high speed. Completely irrespective of air bags, I was changed over to 9 &3 around 1978 or so. Once I bought my first vehicle with an air bag, I quickly realized that the lower my hands were on the wheel, the less chance I'd have of getting my left hand shoved through the window of the driver's door if the bag deployed. However, 5 & 7 just doesn't give me much control of the vehicle's direction.

To be honest, though, these days I'm more likely to be holding the steering wheel at 9 with the left hand, and a giant Diet Coke with the right hand.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »
8 & 4....it's actually safer, less fatiguing, & gives you just as much control as 10 & 2....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 11:51:01 AM »
10 O'clock.

Couple of years ago when I had the wreck I was holding the wheel at 10 & 2.  Got the 3rd & 4th fingers of both hands pretty well screwed by the airbag.  Still cannot make a fist with the right hand (4th finger does not close all the way) which also gives me some small problems with skinny handgun stocks.  But since I got rid of those itty-bitty things on the J-frames years ago it really does not make much difference.

The 3 & 9 shuffle your hands manuever was explained to me as avoiding having both hands come off the wheen when making a sharp turn.  :facepalm:  You cannot make a sharp turn if you are doing the 3 & 9 shuffle your hands move.  :facepalm:

stay safe.

My hand position varies a bit, according to what type of vehicle, and what make and model I'm driving.  Generally I'm in the 9 and 3 or 8 and 4 area.  I'll note that in the picture with the article, the fingers are shown wrapped around the wheel so that they are inside the rim.  This can cause unsteady turning as you place your fingers to avoid the spokes.  Even worse, should you hit a pothole or whatever, the wheel could whip suddenly, injuring your finger with the spoke.

Push pull turning is a bit awkward to learn at first.  I've found it can be picked up easier by practicing with a pizza pan.  Grip it as if you were gripping a steering wheel and practice turning it clockwise and counter-clockwise while keeping your hands opposite each other.  For instance, turning clockwise, grip the pan with your left hand and turn it clockwise (hand moving up) while your right hand slides along the edge staying opposite your left hand. Then grip with the right hand, pulling down, while the left hand slides down opposite the right.  Keep the hands parallel to each other.  Keep practicing until it feels natural and you can do it without dropping the pan.  Then practice some more using your good china instead.  =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »
On a good, calm day, my right hand rests at about 4, and the left hand just kind of floats around.  As soon as I get into traffic, or bad weather, or anything remotely exciting, I go to something close to 9 and 3, maybe a little higher.  I think that was where my hands were when I had the experience of an air bag deploying in my face.  No hand or arm issues.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »
Well, I'll be darned.  My license expires soon and I'll have to take another driving road test (State requirement for us olde phartes) and I've been practicing the 10 and 2 hold because I thought that was "correct."  Maybe I ought to pick up or download a Colorado driver's manual and review it for any more of this new-fangled stuff.

I've also been practicing other things I thought were "recommended."

Like maybe I ought to find out what the deal is with the air bags and steering wheel grip.  That's a new one on me. I do hand-over hand steering and can whip that wheel around pretty good that way.

Glad to have spotted this thread --thanks, Ben!

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:17:58 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Is anyone else surprised that people actually use 10 and 2? I guess I thought that was just a textbook thing that no one really does.

I don't think I'm all that consistent. Depends on conditions, mood, and whether I'm shifting frequently, as opposed to highway driving or driving an automatic.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 12:15:59 PM »
In the Freightliner, when I am on alert, 9 & 3.  Most of the time, left at 8, right at 4 or draped over the gear lever.

In the Yukon I vary with some frequency.  9 & 3 when on alert, 8 & 10 much of the time, occasionally 10 & 2.  

I did learn, the hard way driving manual steering cars and trucks off-road, not to hang digits inside the wheel.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »
12:00 high
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 12:29:58 PM »
Is anyone else surprised that people actually use 10 and 2? I guess I thought that was just a textbook thing that no one really does.

On open roads and easy driving, I use my "incorrect" one hand hold, but when I'm, for instance, driving in heavy LA traffic, I automatically and subconsciously go to 10 and 2. At this point in my life, I would be hard-pressed to "automatically" switch to 8 and 4 during stressful driving conditions.

I guess in the original post I should have also added, "How were you taught to hold the wheel?" because that is likely a major factor in what you revert to in stressful driving conditions.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »
Meh... 8 and 4, maybe. I drive a manual, so mostly 8, and gearshift I guess. Move my hands around as I get tired of holding the wheel that way.

Steering wheel safety is overplayed. I think the whole thing is borne of teenagers laying back in the seat steering with their foot or knee or something to be cool/silly, and then going off a cliff or whatever. You hear of plenty of accidents where they "lost control of the vehicle", but I can't for the life of me remember EVER hearing of an accident where it was caused by "driver not holding the steering wheel right". Maybe it happens a lot, and they just never write it up that way. I don't know...

The "don't let the airbag break your arms" has some merit to it. However, the accelerometers are programmed to a relatively high degree of lawyer-proofness and will only set it off in very specific circumstances where the crash is going to hurt you more than the airbag going off will. If your hands are on the wheel, it's going to slap them out of the way, and do it hard. Although fingers to the outside of the wheel will offer less resistance to the bag as it goes off.

If you're actually turning the wheel enough to be  going hand-over-hand, by default you're going 25mph or less, parking, doing a right-turn etc., or your vehicle has an extremely lousy steering ratio, or you're in a Tokyo Drift competition or Euro style road-rally on dirt. If you turn that hard at the speeds likely to kill you, you're probably already in the process of crashing/dying.

I promise not to duck.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 12:58:05 PM »
Right hand on the shifter, knee at 4:00, and left hand holding diet coke.

I'd like to say I learned that from my parents but I pretty much figured that out on my own.

Going up the mountains, there is a stretch nearby that has a 2000 ft altitude differential, by my count 55 turns in a 7.5 miles

Doing that with a 5 speed and one hand on the shifter can be challening, especially with a little 2.5-hamster engine with such a narrow power band.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:02:59 PM by Jocassee »
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 01:07:07 PM »
My goal in all this practice is to eliminate any sources of checkmarks (or "Xs," maybe) during the driving test.  I figure I'll screw up enough things on the test that any low-score habits I can eliminate, should be eliminated.

My insurance ecompany says they'll give me a break on premiums if I take an olde pharte driving course, and I may do that.

I'm getting close to 30 years of driving with no tickets or accidents caused by me, so I figure I'm doing OK in the practical, real world of driving.  I hate to sound rebellious, but sometimes recommendations by experts remind me of medical fads which reverse themselves every couple of years. 

However, being a good little citizen, I'm willing to listen and learn.

That air-bag stuff seems significant.  I gotta research that some more.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »
I steer with my knees.

You don't want to know how I shift.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »
don't get me started on left leg out the window foot on the mirror drivers
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »
Hand position varies a lot. Sometimes on the interstate I'll do 10 and 2, other times it's 10 with the left hand and the right hand on the gear shift. Around town the hands are all over the place. If I'm going to make a turn, for example, my left hand goes to the point on the wheel that will be at 9 o' clock when the turn is completed, so I can just release the wheel, let it straighten out after the turn, and then hold it again.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:01:54 PM by Monkeyleg »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »
All over the place.

I drove with my mom and dad for a long time before taking drivers ed, so I didn't run into the 4&8 thing until after I had already established driving habits based on my parents teaching.

So, 10 and 2 when i'm stressed, low or midway up the wheel when I'm comfortable, and (most commen) right hand at one, cause I have a ciggerette in the other hand.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 02:55:55 PM »
I drive a stick, so right hand on the shifter and left hand kinda goes here, there and everywhere.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »
suicide knobs FTW
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
palm wheel with right hand at 2
or left hand at 10 while i toss newspapers

i do use 2 feet on pedals 
that stirs some folks up
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I