Author Topic: How Do You Hold Your Steering Wheel?  (Read 8637 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: How Do You Hold Your Steering Wheel?
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 04:13:41 PM »
All over depending on what I'm driving and doing at the time.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 04:31:44 PM »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »
Anyone out there use steering knobs?

Hehe, illegal in my state.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »
On open roads and easy driving, I use my "incorrect" one hand hold, but when I'm, for instance, driving in heavy LA traffic, I automatically and subconsciously go to 10 and 2. At this point in my life, I would be hard-pressed to "automatically" switch to 8 and 4 during stressful driving conditions.

Any learned behavior can be relearned.

In the 50's and 60's, the spokes on steering wheels were positioned such that placing your hands just above the spokes put them pretty much at 10 and 2. Now, either the spokes are low enough that placing the hands above them puts the hands at 9 and 3, or there are two windows between four spokes and the windows are at 9 and 3. 10 and 2 doesn't give good control in an emergency maneuver, anyway. 9 & 3, with the two hands fully opposed, gives significantly better control.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »
Hehe, illegal in my state.

Same here, but only when you get the annual inspection.  Also have to take the GPS off the dash/window/wherever for the inspection.  No, they do not bother to ask about the suction-cup marks.  (One time I left the GPS up - they took it off, let it hang loose, and passed the vehicle.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »
don't get me started on left leg out the window foot on the mirror drivers

Never seen that one, myself. I've seen my dad do some mandolin-picking while driving. A number of times. :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »
I steer with my knees.

You don't want to know how I shift.

I used to drive like that when I was much younger.  If you still can, I salute you. (especially the shift part)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:59:25 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »
Depends on the road. Curving twisties? 9 and 3. Cruising on the highway? two fingers of left hand resting at around 8 or 9 oclock.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 08:15:18 PM »
usually at the 5 and 8 positions on the highway, 10 and 2 around town or offroad.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
8 and 4 for control purposes, very picky about steering wheel to body position. Often a very busy wheel jockey. Usuallly just 8 riding down the highway lesuirely, have to remember to switch arms.  Next up, we can start the war about mirror position and two footed driving!  >:D [popcorn]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 08:49:48 PM »
A couple fingers and a thumb ~8 for cruising. Offroad 9 and 3, if my hand is on the shifter then 1it hand at 12. Depends on the situation.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 08:52:20 PM »
two footed driving

No need. The left foot is for operating the clutch (if equipped), dimmer switch (if equipped), parking brake pedal (if equipped), air horn (if equipped) and siren (if equipped). It is not for operating the brake(s) except for on heavy equipment and tractors.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »
depends who you ask   was quite the spirited debate in the local paper over 2 footed driving

quite a few cabbies do it

was once part of the air force drivers handbook
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »
My left hand is on the clamp on knob about 9 oclock with my elbow out the window.  My right arm is thrown over the seat back............Otherwise, my left hand grips the wheel between the spokes and my right hand is on the gear shift lever.............chris3

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 10:33:26 PM »
No need. The left foot is for operating the clutch (if equipped), dimmer switch (if equipped), parking brake pedal (if equipped), air horn (if equipped) and siren (if equipped). It is not for operating the brake(s) except for on heavy equipment and tractors.

Well, I'm pretty slick with tractor differential braking except it's my right foot. Still a somewhat new heavy equipment op, that's all over the place, too many control schemes, many, like a grader, no feet needed.

I learned to drive from race cars. You run the brakes with opposite feet, keep your feet where they belong. No chance a one footed driver is going to be as quick to the brake or as smooth with brake throttle transition, no chance at trail braking under power, etc.  Yes, at corner mid-point it is many times preferable to be on both pedals.
AKA Navy Joe   

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:23 PM »
Anyone out there use steering knobs?
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Asteering%20wheel%20knob&page=1

My preferred method. Also as nothing I drive has an airbag unless the wife is in the passenger seat, I don't worry about hand placement too much.
One hand on the wheel somewhere, the other one holding my beer.

On the bike the throttle gets the friction lock and left hand on the bar so I can access the beer with the right hand,
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »
Some rockbuckets have variable speed rear-ends and transmissions. There were times I had hands on two shift levers in 50mph traffic with 9 yards( gross weight ~40,000 lbs) on. Don't even ask about when I ate lunch going down the road...
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 11:07:42 PM »
Well, I perused this thread waiting for kiddo at kindergarten, so I had plenty of driving left to figure it out.  

10 and 2 did not last as long as driver's ed.  I tend to go with one hand in the top half and one in the bottom.  Seems to be a good combo, keep control at the top half, precision at the bottom half.  Within that pattern, I vary a lot.  Depends on the road, mostly.  For bad weather, 9 is about perfect, right hand around 4 or so, but usually 2:30 and 7 or so.  I often default to one-handed, even when I'm not doing anything with the other hand.  

Maybe I'm careless, but it just seems to work better.  I am ill-at-ease when symmetrical.  On the morning drive, I'll often have left at 8 and hold kiddo's hand with the right.  The joys of a small car  =)  

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 11:27:30 PM »
I have no clue.  I'm usually looking out the windshield instead of at my hands.  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 12:31:44 AM »
8.   I'm left handed and it is convenient and comfortable for longer drives.  I'll go to two hands if I am doing much turning.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 12:47:33 AM »
I learned to drive from race cars. You run the brakes with opposite feet, keep your feet where they belong. No chance a one footed driver is going to be as quick to the brake or as smooth with brake throttle transition, no chance at trail braking under power, etc.  Yes, at corner mid-point it is many times preferable to be on both pedals.

Knew a guy in college that drove his mini-van 2-footed.  Claimed it was smoother, and how Michael Schumacher drove.  Didn't seem to occur to him that there's more than a trivial difference between his 4000lb <200hp mini-van and Schumi's (at the time) 1320lb >850hp Ferrari.  Smoothness based on driving style is not much of a factor in that mini-van.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 12:49:20 AM »
My first vehicle was a manual, so I got into the habit of having my left at 12 and my right on the stick. Current vehicle has no stick, but I still drive it the same.

I do go to 10 and 2 (or sometimes 9 and 3) when the driving conditions get more difficult.

For interstate driving I sometimes do 8 and 4, or just 8.

I learned to drive from race cars. You run the brakes with opposite feet, keep your feet where they belong. No chance a one footed driver is going to be as quick to the brake or as smooth with brake throttle transition, no chance at trail braking under power, etc.  Yes, at corner mid-point it is many times preferable to be on both pedals.

I've tried it a few times, and I just can't get used to it. I can see where it can give more control, but I learned on a truck that had a manual transmission, and I still associated using the left foot to break with killing the engine.  :laugh:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 10:00:09 AM »
Old habits die hard. My absolute first wheel time as a kid was an old racing kart vs the local elementary school baseball diamond. Pretty sure I remember getting the stare of disapproval if I ever lifted the throttle, so it was all brake or steering.  =D My race cars were only 1600lbs/400hp, but you catch on pretty quick about what you can and can't do with a brake pedal. Bonus points if only 3 of the wheels carry brakes.

On any vehicle with a working non-blocked rearview I also set the mirrors to make everyone else cuss. Kick the left mirror out to where I can barely see the edge of the car with my head leaning on the driver's glass, lean to the right same amount and repeat. Takes a good while to warm up to, really a whole different scan pattern or concept. Blind spots are gone, the only way someone can sneak in is to be two or more lanes off and slightly behind and then slide over to you. Which you should have already seen them coming to that spot.... Between that and actively managing the space in front and behind my car I expect to know where everyone is at on the road. I will give a quick blind spot glance but if I need to change lanes in a hurry I know where the hole is already.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:06:06 AM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2012, 12:37:18 PM »
With a proper wheel in a high performance setting, 9 & 3, daily, depending on the wheel, 9 & 3 or 8 & 4.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:40:21 PM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »
I didn't know trail braking was a thing with cars, I used to do it with the bike in a tight corner especially on hills and found it useful but never tried in in the coupe.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.