Author Topic: The free truck that wasn't  (Read 8605 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: The free truck that wasn't
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 11:57:20 PM »
I get out and there is a ton of smoke coming out of rear passenger side wheel, its super hot too.

That sounds like a locked up brake shoe, it would be worth your while to pull the hub and drum, it will smell like burnt hair if its the shoes sticking.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 05:49:26 AM »
That sounds like a locked up brake shoe, it would be worth your while to pull the hub and drum, it will smell like burnt hair if its the shoes sticking.

+2

smoke and heat localized to the wheel is more likely the brakes.  What, if any, noise did it make?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 05:51:12 AM »
If you don't want to do the work yourself, ask your motorcycle guy who he recommends for auto work.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »
You can have this one, free.

You can have this truck right now, free, with a good title. You will need a battery and I'll leave enough gas in it to get to the gas station.

I've already sunk a bit over 300 in it, please take it from me for free, you're welcome to it-or anybody else for that matter, please take it for free.
I have a very vague idea of where you are. I'm guessing not Minnesota, though. If it's at all feasible I'll take you up on it.

I have a choice, use my money to keep my 93 cbr 600 running, it needs new brakes last month or sink more money into the truck not knowing whether it will cost me 3 times the money I make in a month.
It likely won't.

If you really feel you could do better there is an easy way to prove it - live on 300 a month and maintain your vehicles and do all your shopping at a city that is a 300 mile round trip. Please report back to me right away, I am eager to see how others do it better then I do.
I am the only one in the household with a steady job. I have a wife and two kids. I've never owned a vehicle that cost more than $2500. It ain't all sunshine for me, either. I could go on, but I doubt anyone wants to hear it.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »
WH I live in Northern Nevada 80 miles south of Oregon roughly 150 north of Reno, so likely it isn't worth it for you to come all the way out here for it, but you're welcome to it if you decide to take it off my hands, let me know if you would like it.

If you don't want to do the work yourself, ask your motorcycle guy who he recommends for auto work.

Its not that I do not want to (work on it myself), I really want to learn more about this kind of stuff.
I do not own the property I live on, the guy whose land I live on does not want any more vehicles in disrepair on his property, there is a truck here already falling apart that he is getting 600 a yr to store and a few other various vehicles he is storing & he has said no to anymore.

Plus the truck is in town and I'm back at the ranch, driving it here ( if it made it ) would do more damage-and there is no place in town where I could leave it and work on it.

Asking the mc mechanic for referrals is an excellent idea, he is "only" 80 miles away too.  :cool:
but I know my bike is working and know it needs front and rear brakes and a few other things so the bike will be my vehicle for the summer. As far as the truck goes, once bitten twice shy, I would shoot it...if I could afford ammo.

Ok, I'm going to take a guess that he doesn't know what he is talking about ( it wouldn't be the first time )

and maybe there's something wrong with the brakes on that side ???  Could be a part broke and dropped down in the wrong place, or a bunch of mud jammed up in the drum.  I once had a self-adjuster that just kept tightening no matter what, and I finally turned it around or something so that you just manually adjusted it like the really old ones.

I'm thinking that if a bearing was putting out that much smoke, then you would have had much more obvious problems while driving  =|   

How did you get it home, or did you ...? (nope, its behind the town gas station and about to accrue storage fees, starting to strip it today sometime with mr ranch owner who gets the battery )

If I wasn't so far away, I would come help you with it - even though my knees are shot and I can't hardly even work on my own stuff anymore. ( I know the feeling, ACL surgery in 2005, or was it 04? senior moments... )

For that matter, I would like to have the old pickup myself except you said it was an automatic, right ? :(
( yep, but the tranny works though)
By the way, I used to live way out in the mountains on very little money.  But I was young then and I fixed everything myself.  If I didn't know how then I learned by asking and doing.  I tore down and put back together a diesel engine where the tractor was broke down in the middle of the woods - TWICE, a couple years apart, because the first time I didn't have the money to put in all new pistons.  :facepalm:

When I was young I was living in Manhattan & didn't learn a darn useful thing , well except I learned I didn't want to live there anymore :lol:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 04:18:02 PM »
nope, its behind the town gas station and about to accrue storage fees

Sorry for your bad luck :(

If it's really an axle bearing then of course you can't drive it home.

The only thing that you might try is to jack it up, take off the wheel and drum (the drum should more or less just slide off over the lug bolts, unless it's really bound up ...  =| ), and see if the brakes are the problem.  If so, you could probably strip off the offending parts, and drive it home just using the front brakes. (unless you can find parts in town where it sits)

Be a shame to give up if it only needed $50 or $100 of parts and an hour or two labor  :'(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »
Sorry for your bad luck :(

If it's really an axle bearing then of course you can't drive it home.

The only thing that you might try is to jack it up, take off the wheel and drum (the drum should more or less just slide off over the lug bolts, unless it's really bound up ...  =| ), and see if the brakes are the problem.  If so, you could probably strip off the offending parts, and drive it home just using the front brakes. (unless you can find parts in town where it sits)

Be a shame to give up if it only needed $50 or $100 of parts and an hour or two labor  :'(

What TP wrote.  If it is just the drum brake that is ate up, those are pretty cheap replacement parts.  Heck, even wheel bearings are reasonably priced.  FTR, there are lots of youtube videos to guide in auto repair.  Perhaps if you could diagnose the problem correctly you could make the determination to either keep & fix, or blow up in place.

I can understand the despair & frustration of your predicament, sure enough.  You gotta do what you think best.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2012, 01:38:29 AM »
If you can hold out until Burning Man you can probably barter for one, as long as the other person is stoned to the gills.   >:D
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.