Author Topic: Matt Lauer, EX-famous news anchor  (Read 8647 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Matt Lauer, EX-famous news anchor
« on: November 29, 2017, 08:07:57 AM »
Wonder of wonders, NBC canned Matt Laur for "sexually inappropriate behavior". Musta been one helluva complaint with a metric buttload of substatiation for them to let their Golden Boy go.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/11/29/nbc-announces-today-show-co-host-matt-lauer-fired-due-to-inappropriate-sexual-behavior-at-work.html

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Matt Lauer, EX-famous news anchor
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »
PLEASE let Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews be next!

PLEASE!

It's all I want for Christmas!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 08:23:34 AM »
I can see Matthews getting in trouble, but I don’t see Maddow getting busted.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »
How about Ellen for her frankenesque admiration of Katy Perry's rack?

I really don't see Maddow putting a tingle in anyone's leg.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »
Without knowing any facts other than the very limited information in the media, my opinion is that Lauer may be the first high profile accused person who falls into what I said in the Weinstein thread in politics:

On the general topic, sadly, this is turning into quite a McCarthy-like witch hunt. It looks like a lot of innocent people are going to get hit for things as benign as touching a shoulder, giving a hug, or just saying the "wrong" thing. The real offenders will be lost in the mass.

Perhaps something will come out that has me eating my words, but at this point this doesn't feel right to me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 10:17:26 AM »
I'm inclined to disagree, Ben. NBC didn't suspend him while they investigated. They got the notification on Monday night, and Tuesday night they fired him. Lack's memo to the staff indicated sufficient information to suggest that the incident at Sochi was not an isolated incident. I don't think they would have outright fired him unless the evidence was fairly strong. I'm sure they called him in to confront him, and I'd guess that either his defense was unconvincing, or he just confessed.

I'm sure there will be innocent people swept up in this, and perhaps have been already, but I don't see this as being a likely candidate.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »
I wonder if they canned him just as much for making way too much money while ratings were not really very good.  

IMO, they really don't need a high paid person just to sit there and read a teleprompter.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 10:26:01 AM »
I'm inclined to disagree, Ben. NBC didn't suspend him while they investigated. They got the notification on Monday night, and Tuesday night they fired him.

I'm just not sure a one day investigation for a single incident follows "innocent until proven guilty". Maybe they have concrete information, but for all the other high profile stuff, that information immediately made it into public view.

An example of getting railroaded:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/11/28/tucker-carlson-not-every-accuser-tells-truth-should-know.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 10:44:57 AM »
How many times have we seen false accusations of sexual assault? Duke Lacrosse team, Rolling Stones U-Va rape scandal...
As for Lauer, my guess is that NBC had enough dirt to justify canning the dirtball and what is very telling is that Lauer has not made a statement denying the accusation or crying about his getting fired.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »
It does now look like my opinion is wrong. Still no actual data, but it looks to be becoming an "everybody knew" thing, ala Weinstein.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/11/29/evil-frightening-stuff-matt-lauer-is-just-the-latest-example-of-everyone-knew/

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 11:17:54 AM »
Accusations are cheap.  Defense is expensive.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 12:01:09 PM »
I'm just not sure a one day investigation for a single incident follows "innocent until proven guilty".

Innocent until proven guilty only works in the justice system.  Lauer was accused, tried, and convicted in the corporate system.  The corporate lawyers wouldn't sign off on firing Lauer unless it was a rock solid case.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 12:14:29 PM »
Without knowing any facts other than the very limited information in the media, my opinion is that Lauer may be the first high profile accused person who falls into what I said in the Weinstein thread in politics:

Perhaps something will come out that has me eating my words, but at this point this doesn't feel right to me.

This is not completely out of the blue. There's been a context of scandal and sexual impropriety around Lauer for years now.

And frankly, this sexual harassment tsunami seems to be taking out Leftists at a better than 10-1 ratio over Conservatives, so I'm good with it. We've been dealing with Alinsky tactics, double standards, and Kafka trap catch-22's from the Leftist-MSM-academia axis for so long, we are WAY past the whole "stick to our standards" and "lets be better than they are" phase of things.

We've been in an alleyway broken bottle knife fight with the Left for the past 50 years, and all the time, we've been indignantly filing written complaints that they aren't following Marquess of Queensberry rule.

I know that many of us, at least since the Clinton Administration have been frustrated to the point that we've been willing to see it all burn down, rather than have the Left win.

Well, this is a major fire, mostly for the Left so far. And we didn't even need to attack to set it off.

A new sexual harassment McCarthy era, enduring the not-insignificant downsides of the Trump Administration... these are really quite peaceful and bloodless alternatives to what we've ALL been thinking about, but rarely discuss, or only obliquely, which is namely, shooting all the leftists we can once everything goes to hell.
I promise not to duck.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 12:17:33 PM »
I always sort of wondered why Lauer always dressed up in drag for the Halloween show. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »
His contract probably makes it difficult to fire him without severance. An accusation like this that allows them to fire him outright due to a morality clause can be worth tens of millions of dollars.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 12:36:12 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that when they handed him his discharge papers there was a very large check with it in order to keep him quiet.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 12:56:28 PM »
I heard an ABC reporter, on the radio this morning, state that there are rumors going around that the New York Times was going to do an article on Lauer and that they had more evidence against him.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 01:46:21 PM »
AJDual

And frankly, this sexual harassment tsunami seems to be taking out Leftists at a better than 10-1 ratio over Conservatives, so I'm good with it. We've been dealing with Alinsky tactics, double standards, and Kafka trap catch-22's from the Leftist-MSM-academia axis for so long, we are WAY past the whole "stick to our standards" and "lets be better than they are" phase of things.

We've been in an alleyway broken bottle knife fight with the Left for the past 50 years, and all the time, we've been indignantly filing written complaints that they aren't following Marquess of Queensberry rule.

Everyone: Don't forget your anger and let the 2018 elections slide right by.

They sure know how to win elections.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »

A new sexual harassment McCarthy era, enduring the not-insignificant downsides of the Trump Administration... these are really quite peaceful and bloodless alternatives to what we've ALL been thinking about, but rarely discuss, or only obliquely, which is namely, shooting all the leftists we can once everything goes to hell.

While I admit that I have reveled in schadenfreude since the election, I do take a step back regarding AJ's quote above. While I can sympathize with "fight fire with fire",  I get a little scared when we start talking about things like "10-1 ratios" and acceptable collateral damage.

It begins to sound not much different than what this person said:

I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations.
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/11/21/teen-vogue-columnist-not-at-all-concerned-about-innocent-men-and-false-harassment-allegations/

As a, "better 99 guilty men go free than one innocent man wrongly accused" kind of guy, that bothers me.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 02:25:38 PM »
While I admit that I have reveled in schadenfreude since the election, I do take a step back regarding AJ's quote above. While I can sympathize with "fight fire with fire",  I get a little scared when we start talking about things like "10-1 ratios" and acceptable collateral damage.

It begins to sound not much different than what this person said:
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/11/21/teen-vogue-columnist-not-at-all-concerned-about-innocent-men-and-false-harassment-allegations/

As a, "better 99 guilty men go free than one innocent man wrongly accused" kind of guy, that bothers me.

I think his point is that he (and I) are fairly certain that the truly guilty (and "known" guilty) harassers/abusers are going to be overwhelmingly Democrat/Liberal because the press not only won't protect a Republican/Conservative, they will actively investigate them.

So, in that vein, I am also not very concerned that there will be much coming out about "conservative Republicans" because if it was "known", it also would already be reported and known.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »
we still have the problem where all it takes is an allegation to torpedo a Republican (at least to try to; Roy Moore seems to be rebounding rather well), but it requires an investigation and preponderance of evidence against a Democrat.
"It's good, though..."

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »
Like I said over on Facebook, Lauer wasn't exactly hiding his creepiness very well.  His interview with Anne Hathaway was pretty damning in and of itself.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »
So, in that vein, I am also not very concerned that there will be much coming out about "conservative Republicans" because if it was "known", it also would already be reported and known.

I think I'm looking at it contrary to most of the rest of you. I'm not looking at progressive vs conservative or any political aspect; I'm looking at actual predator vs somebody getting railroaded for a hug, or even totally false allegations. Speaking out is becoming the cool thing to do, almost like a fad. It will hurt innocent people and dilute any justified anger towards the actual perpetrators.

I realize I'm bucking the APS trend, but lynch mobs scare me.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »
I think I'm looking at it contrary to most of the rest of you. I'm not looking at progressive vs conservative or any political aspect; I'm looking at actual predator vs somebody getting railroaded for a hug, or even totally false allegations. Speaking out is becoming the cool thing to do, almost like a fad. It will hurt innocent people and dilute any justified anger towards the actual perpetrators.

I am also a little concerned that this is or will all turn into accusations for much less serious behavior that still gets people fired.  So far it appears to simply be accusations against people that deserved it and should have been called out for it a long time ago.  I hope it doesn't get carried to far as the liars and "me too" types are encourages to get it on the action.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 03:56:25 PM »

I totally agree with this and have all along. 

I am highly suspicious of any claim made by Gloria Allred, which is not good because some of those claims (against nobody in particular) are probably true.  How to separate the signal from the noise?
"It's good, though..."