Author Topic: Car/motor question  (Read 1681 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Car/motor question
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
2004 Chevy Cavalier, 72K ish on the miles. Car runs ok. Seems pretty clean except the 4 cyl motor has brown goo inside when you pull the oil fill cap off the valve cover and run your finner around in there. I'm pretty aware that brown goo = moisture mixed with oil but I think if it is a condensation thing (not head gaskets) and if so is this A. normal B. fixable like with a new PCV or something or C. I should forget this one and find another.

I know my 83 AMC eagle with the 258 6 cyl had the same issue for years and it never seemed to be a problem.

thanks!  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Car/motor question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:19:57 PM »
I normally keep my finner out of where it doesn't belong.  Especially if it can get brown goo on it.  =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:28:21 PM »
     Don't know about the 2004 cavalier...but that's just fine for an 83 gmc eagle =D
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:45:52 PM »
Do you make a lot of short trips? Sometimes this can happen when condensation gets into the oil and it doesn't heat up enough or for long enough for it to get cooked out. Alternately, it can be just crappy oil or problems in the PCV system.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 01:59:50 PM »
Was, like, your original plan as a kid to become a proctologist, and that is just some sort of weird substitute when you couldn't get into medical school or something?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 02:10:10 PM »
Ok, all the smartass wags aside (  =D ) it's nothing to worry about.  When your oil starts to look like milk, THEN you worry. 

Just be sure to change it often enough,
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 02:13:26 PM »
You can clean out some of this sludge with a little ATF in the oil, I'm told.

Personally, I've not encountered this problem yet.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 02:38:37 PM »
Do you make a lot of short trips? Sometimes this can happen when condensation gets into the oil and it doesn't heat up enough or for long enough for it to get cooked out. Alternately, it can be just crappy oil or problems in the PCV system.

+1.

I bought cheap "house brand" oil at Autozone and did an oil change with it, then ran a bunch of short trips around town for several months.  No long road trips or highway cruising.  Checked the oil and had yellow/brown sludge.  Yuck.

Changed the oil to a decent oil (I bounce between Chevron, Castrol, Valvoline and Texaco based on what's on sale) and problem never repeated.  Even when doing nothing but short road trips.

But... I do make it a point to get a couple good road trips in every few thousand miles.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 03:31:06 PM »
Is this your car or one you are looking to buy?

The goo you speak of is likely just sludgy oil build up.  If it was lots of moisture or a head gasket it would likely look like a watered down chocolate milkshake.  Sludge builds up over time.

Likely causes could be either lots of short trips, blocked up ventilation (probably via PCV valve), or cheap oil which usually has a cheap additive package.  Lots of short trips means the oil never really gets hot enough to evaporate all the moisture in it.  Clogged PCV does strange things, and cheap oil is....well cheap.

At 73k unless it's seen hard driving and is running good some sludge likely wont have cause any serious problems.  Get a good oil additive that cleans out the system, run it for the recommended time, and do an oil change with a good conventional oil and change every 3000 or 3 months on the dot.  After a few changes keep using a good conventional or even better switch to a synthetic oil.  Using the additive will help clean out the current sludge and frequent oil changes afterward will help "flush" the rest from the system.  After that proper maintenance will keep it from becoming a problem again.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »
I normally keep my finner out of where it doesn't belong.  Especially if it can get brown goo on it.  =D

Fortunately, Ned never had that problem....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 06:25:07 PM »
You can clean out some of this sludge with a little ATF in the oil, I'm told.

ATF huh?  Do you use a single agent, or an entire field office?  Seems like one would do. 

How do you get them through the oil filler hole?  They're a bit big... 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 06:30:49 PM »
ATF huh?  Do you use a single agent, or an entire field office?  Seems like one would do. 

How do you get them through the oil filler hole?  They're a bit big... 

Considering the last thing ATF "cleaned out" (i.e. Waco), I'd avoid using them on a car engine...  :rolleyes:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 07:14:46 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm looking at buying it for the kid. Mama's all spooked over the goo now so it may not go through.

Somehow I knew a story about sticking my finger in a hole and pulling out brown goo would result in, well, you know...  and I wouldn't have it any other way!  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!