Author Topic: Clean out that A/C compressor!  (Read 1562 times)

Azrael256

• friend
Clean out that A/C compressor!
« on: May 23, 2005, 01:16:54 PM »
So our A/C was keeping it at a frosty 85 degrees today.  I called the A/C guys, and the asked me if the low-pressure line from the compressor was getting cold.  Evidently they're swamped today, as it's the Monday after the warmest weekend we've had this year, so they were willing to give out do-it-yourself solutions.  The line was ice cold.  They told me to pull the fuse block, and drag the water hose around to wash out the compressor, and to call back if conditions didn't improve.  In addition to assorted yard debris (cut grass, leaves, dirt) coming out of it, I found a dead plant of some sort that had covered about 1/4 of the cooling fins.  Whoops!

So now we're at 81 and falling rapidly.  Just thought I'd give out this little gem of advice to everybody suffering through what looks like a pretty hot summer.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 01:55:32 PM »
Heck, I had to put pants on today.  No warm summer here yet (thankfully)
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 02:01:53 PM »
Good tip.

This is why I covered our compressor with plastic over the winter.  Keeps a lot of crap out of there.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 02:26:34 PM »
This is why I covered our compressor with plastic over the winter.
Not a bad idea.  You just use a tarp for that?

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 04:35:19 PM »
I learned the same lesson, but I had to pay for it.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 06:24:12 AM »
Air conditioner!?  I finally broke down and mowed the grass yesterday, had to wear sweats, and still got cold. The little woman still turns on the heat for a little while in the mornings. This AM it was 60 degrees in the house when we woke up, so it is getting warmer. As I type this, the outside air temp is about 48 degrees. It is supposed to get up close to 60 degrees today.

bob

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 09:29:25 AM »
"Not a bad idea.  You just use a tarp for that?"

A big plastic sheet and duct tape.  You can actually buy pre-made covers, but I already had the plastic sheeting, and of course, the duct tape.