Author Topic: CO set to recall Senators for anti-gun votes  (Read 8308 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: CO set to recall Senators for anti-gun votes
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 08:43:22 AM »
What's the next step?  Does CO have "initiative and referendum" (like CA does) where the voters can pass laws bypassing (or overriding) the legislature?

I think we do.  If I recall correctly its how the state residents blocked the 1972 Winter Olympics and legalized genus Cannabis for personal cultivation and retail sale.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 09:12:04 AM »
I think we do.  If I recall correctly its how the state residents blocked the 1972 Winter Olympics and legalized genus Cannabis for personal cultivation and retail sale.

The California Supreme Court ruled that the California Constitution (as amended by the people through referendum) was unconstitutional.  The US Supreme Court agreed in an area where the power was reserved to the states or the people by the US Constitution.

The same thing could happen in Colofornia.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »
I think this goes here:  =D

Mudder: If the mudders are together on a thing, there's too many of us to put down. So in the end, he just called it a bonus.

Jayne: That's one hell of a bonus.

Mudder: And then when we put that statue of you up in town square, he rolled in, wanted to tear it down, but the whole town rioted.

Jayne: [shocked to the verge of tears] You guys had a riot? On account o' me? My very own riot?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »
Oh, and I do have to post this.  Simply because Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is either the dumbest Democrat or Smartest Republican in the room.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/10/colorado-gun-rights-backers-gun-control-activists-/?page=2

Democrats scrambled to push back against such speculation, insisting that the recalls were lost because of right-wing efforts to confuse voters. Activists on both sides went to court at least three times to figure out how to run the election under the state’s new Democrat-drafted elections law, which was passed with no Republican votes.

“The recall elections in Colorado were defined by the vast array of obstacles that special interests threw in the way of voters for the purpose of reversing the will of the legislature and the people,” said Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, who heads the Democratic National Committee. “This was voter suppression, pure and simple.”

Soooo because of Democrat drafted election laws, the vote was suppressed.   :facepalm: :facepalm:

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
Oh, and I do have to post this.  Simply because Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is either the dumbest Democrat or Smartest Republican in the room.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/10/colorado-gun-rights-backers-gun-control-activists-/?page=2

Soooo because of Democrat drafted election laws, the vote was suppressed.   :facepalm: :facepalm:

Scout, I think she is referring to the actual recall elections and not the laws themselves, at least that is how it read it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 09:03:19 PM »
Not much discussion going on  about the implications of throwing out the anti-gun state legislators.  I thought we'd all be jumping for joy.

Let me add by way of edit: This is a great example of why I keep saying that arms are not the solution; local voting power is the solution.  State legislatures are typically pretty representative of the power structure of state parties.  That is where the true power of the state party lies.  When you overthrow the state legislature you overthrow the power structure of the state party.  Then you have control, or at least large influence, over who is on the ballot for US Congress and how delegates for national conventions are selected.

In how many states were delegates for Ron Paul illegally stripped of their voice?  Turn that around and you turn the platform around.

Great job, Coloradans.  True conservatives across the country, perhaps around the globe, are proud of you and are rejoicing in your victory.  Hopefully we can replicate it all over.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 09:19:04 PM by Levant »
NEOKShooter on GRM

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 09:15:19 PM »
Not much discussion going on  about the implications of throwing out the anti-gun state legislators.  I thought we'd all be jumping for joy.

The CO recall may have done the rest of us a service, but unless CO actually gets the law reversed or struck...   =|
I promise not to duck.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »
The CO recall may have done the rest of us a service, but unless CO actually gets the law reversed or struck...   =|

Yes, that sucks for Coloradans.  But as a signal for the rest of us, it is huge.  State and Federal legislators across the country have taken note of the mini-1994.
NEOKShooter on GRM

Levant

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 10:36:50 PM »
I was just checking Moris's state senate website - which is still up.  I find this tidbit interesting:

He served us for 14 years as a paramedic, 13 years
as a police officer and police chief. Today, he's still
working for a better Colorado Springs.

Where does one switch from someone I would normally expect to get it - a paramedic or policeman, to being so anti-gun and such a political hack?  Really it's kind of sad.  His post-recall comments indicate that he still doesn't get it. 

The Governor of Colorado points out that the democrats still control the state senate - by one seat.  What do you think the chances are that new gun controls pass the Senate in Colorado in the next few years?
NEOKShooter on GRM

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 10:57:37 PM »
I was just checking Moris's state senate website - which is still up.  I find this tidbit interesting:

Where does one switch from someone I would normally expect to get it - a paramedic or policeman, to being so anti-gun and such a political hack?  Really it's kind of sad.  His post-recall comments indicate that he still doesn't get it. 

The Governor of Colorado points out that the democrats still control the state senate - by one seat.  What do you think the chances are that new gun controls pass the Senate in Colorado in the next few years?

It's ultimately the politics of peer pressure. Same thing that happens to people you even expect to be hard-corps conservatives once they get inside the Beltway. One would expect better of John Glen, an astronaut, or McCain, the fighter pilot who spent years in the Hanoi Hilton... but there it is.

Ted Cruz is such a breath of fresh air... far too few people go into politics thinking "The more those people hate me, the better the job I'm doing."

However "no new gun controls passing the Senate in Colorado in the next few years.." that is not good enough. That's just the "slower slide to hell" personified. The ratcheting action in the direction the anti's want, just not as fast as they'd like. That still isn't pushing things in our direction.
I promise not to duck.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 11:41:33 PM »
It's ultimately the politics of peer pressure.

More than peer pressure, it's the politics of re-election.  From where are the biggest campaign contributions coming?  What does it take to get the swing vote?  How do they keep their power, even if it is at the expense of their values or even of the nation.
NEOKShooter on GRM

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2013, 11:59:06 PM »

The top brass of police departments everything tends to lean left. Leftism is the politics of top-down control of everything. Go figure.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Levant

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 12:15:06 AM »
True, but do they start out that way?  Is it the cops who were always our enemies who float up to the top or does something happen as they go up the ranks that they forget why it was that they became cops?
NEOKShooter on GRM

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »
True, but do they start out that way?  Is it the cops who were always our enemies who float up to the top or does something happen as they go up the ranks that they forget why it was that they became cops?

Just a wild guess, but I'm betting the ones who don't belive the leftist crap are also the ones who don't really play the office politics game needed to advance in the first place.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »

Generally it's a bit of both.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 08:07:28 PM »
Scout, I think she is referring to the actual recall elections and not the laws themselves, at least that is how it read it.

Yes, apparently in "normal" elections they do it by mail.  But in this recall election you had to go to a polling place and cast a ballot.  The law specifying that was written by the democrats (hoping that working folks (aka republicans) would be at work, and non-working folks (aka democrats) would be available to driven from polling place to polling place.)   

How come the democrats weren't screaming about "voter suppression" about the way the election would be held PRIOR to said election.  Oh, because they made the rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl75LiVm0tE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a4eNqor0wc

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 08:17:06 PM »
Generally the higher up you go in administration the less time they spent on the street. They didn't have the balls to be a cop on the road but they were excellent at playing the HR game and loving and living everything political. Peter principle also plays a part.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!