Author Topic: Lucifer's Hammer  (Read 3463 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2006, 12:26:22 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Never cared much for Lucifer's Hammer last time I tried to read it. Maybe I'll try again.

The Mote in God's Eye, while a different genre, but by the same authors, is fantastic.
Yea, now *THERES* the ultimate SHTF scenario... moties get out of the mote and actually start spreading into human space.....

(The follow up to MIGE is The Gripping Hand by the same authors, another really good read. )
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2006, 12:41:20 AM »
I've read Alas, Babylon & Lucifer's Hammer, as well as this thread on THR:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=166972&highlight=shtf+threads
All have gotten me to rethink survival skills in a community-building way. What could I bring to a group? What would I accept as membership in mine? Would I be able to continue as a loner? There's a lot I need to learn & do to prevent becoming either a predator or prey.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Lucifer's Hammer
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2006, 04:56:20 AM »
Note also "On the Beach" and (sort of on-topic) "The White Plague"
I read Frank Herbert's "The White Plague". Pretty scary scenario.

Shortly after reading it, the AIDS virus was identified.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G