Author Topic: Scotch and Cigars  (Read 9892 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005, 06:46:13 AM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
An eighth ounce of weed
Oops, looks like I stumbled into the wrong thread.  Sad

(Honest, visiting forums where they talk about smoking pot won't jeopardize my security clearance, will it, Mr. DIS investigator?)
It shouldn't as long as it doesn't involve YOU doing anything illegal or immoral AND you are honest and upfront about it.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 07:24:10 AM »
Yup, Chris, I'm all too aware of that.

It just bugs me that no matter how squeaky clean a person tries to be, he still bumps into that stuff from time to time. My two stepsons are big-time SoCal potheads, but have stayed clean in my house out of respect for my security clearance and career. (That, and their mom would kill them if they boogered up my retirement) When they head back west on their own early next year, I can guarantee they'll hook up a spliff or two in no time, but I'll simply and quite honestly disavow any knowledge of their whereabouts or activities.

I made the mistake of going to a Pink Floyd Momentary Lapse of Reason concert one evening with a friend.  I'd forgotten the makeup of the crowd until it was too late, the cloud was so thick you could cut it with a knife, and I left there that night with a splitting headache, weepy eyes and nausea, reeking of the stuff (I'm blessed with allergies to marijuana).  I was so afraid I'd get tapped for random urinalysis, the next day I immediately turned myself in to the squadron security officer, who had me fill out an incident report and keep it on file for a while.  I didn't need to get popped for secondhand ganja smoke.  Truth be known, they probably could've dinged me for remaining in that environment long after I realized what was going on there.  But the tickets weren't cheap, damnit! Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Lennyjoe

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2005, 07:49:34 AM »
Question, has anyone tried Gluvine?  Warm spiced German wine?  I have two bottles that I plan to serve at our Christmas eve get together.

I remember drinking some in Stuttgart when we went there visiting.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 07:54:56 AM »

SADShooter

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 07:59:41 AM »
A friend and I made Glogg many years ago. A knock you on your butt beverage, and probably a cure for bird flu.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

grampster

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2005, 08:55:37 AM »
MMMMMMMMMMMM.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zahc

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 09:18:17 AM »
I'll second a modest quantity of good weed. It's a shame, the legal hassles surrounding it, it's my favorite drug. I don't care for alcohol, despite being surrounded by it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2005, 09:21:17 AM »
Coffee, tea...what else "goes" with a good cigar?  I stopped drinking 2 1/2 years ago (Did enough drinking for the years before that to last me my lifetime and then some).

I don't usually miss the booze, except for those quiet evenings with some jazz, a good cigar (currently I prefer R&J anniversary editions, or the monte christo whites), but I need a nice something to wash it down.

My new "drink" is club soda and lime, great if I'm a a bar, too bubbly to go with a good smoke.

In the old days it was McCallen 18 (or 21- I had a source), also Balvenie was nice...
One day at a time.

Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2005, 10:08:42 AM »
I normally just get the Twinings Irish Breakfast Tea.

This lady bought some loose teas from some Speciality House. Prepared in the Ceramic Pot as it is "supposed to be".  She is not English, she appreciates fine coffee beans and such. She was piddlin' on the Internet one night and ran Across the Japanese Tea Ceremony. Facinating! This lead to doing more piddlin' and research about Teas. Been  a fun and learned experience for her.  Black Russian Tea, various other teas as well. Some very interesting histories as well.

She recalled I had brought some Constant Comment Tea before. We had visited about some Sample Teas I was given from someone whom had been on vacation in England.  Interesting was how Twinings actually was served in the UK. Since Twinings was in the local grocery story, I bought a variety pack. The Irish Breakfast seems to be my favorite. www.twinings.com

Being a Southern Gentleman, [Read:Heathen to Sophisticated British Tea Folks] I use tea bags and pour hot water over the bag, styrofoam cup works < more horrors> or ceramic mug

I prefer it room temp.

Then again being a heathen I do not "sip" coffee, I drink it...

Just allows me something else I can appreciate these teas and such.

If out and about where drinks are served, makes no difference to me if anyone notices what I am drinking..didn't care what folks thought when I did drink. My last drink was in 1984.  So instead of just buying a whole fifth and setting on my table, I'm liable to just grap the whole coffee pot, pitcher of tea, Soda, ....whatever.

I make myself at home...no matter where I be.

Us Heathens have class no matter what some folks say...*smirk*.

"Say Mate, ya tumped yer tea  I say".

Should see me in a Tux at a Country Club.....

grampster

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2005, 10:27:34 AM »
"Tea Time in a Tux with Steve"    Sounds like a sitcom to me.  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2005, 11:20:30 AM »
I was thinking Irish Breakfast Tea was Irish Creme.  I was having an issue trying to figure out, snince you don't drink and sniffter full of Irish Breakfast Tea. Thanks for the clarification Steve.

My mom used to drink a lot of Twinings while I was growing up, I think she has gotten lazy in her old age and ditched the tea ball and went bagged tea.

'Tea Time in a Tux with Steve" sounds like show on the Bravo Channel.  Yuk Yuk
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

bratch

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2005, 11:26:07 AM »
My tea is usually on the rocks with 1 part sugar for 1 part tea.  I get some funny looks when I venture from the promise land.

Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2005, 11:28:52 AM »
Note: Somebody get ready to grab Preacherman, Larry and Sandy...these are the only persons that have met me in person, these folks might pass out.

grampster:

I was out of State. We arrived in a Limo, I was in a Charcoal Gray Tux with tails, top hat, genuine ivory cane with 24k gold tip and handle.
The lady was in a "little black evening dress" and her daughter was in a matching "little black evening dress".

It was the little girls 9th B-day.  Someone decided she needed something "special" for her B-day. The little B-Day Lady wanted "tails". So the lady of honor was served Lobster. Steak and Tails was the fare.

Non-Alcohol Sparkling "Champagne" .

Seems the Host has a sense of humor, ZZTops "Sharp Dressed Man" was playing when we were "announced". If the Little Lady want to stand on my shoes and dance to this...you dance to this. Actually the music was Rock&Roll and Progressive Country. Mom said something about "You try line dancing in a little black dress" . I replied you try dancing period when you can't - forget the tux".

We retire to the 'smoking room", elegant wood, fine Cuban Cigars ( don't ask) and the rules...ain't none. Ladies enjoyed a fine Cigar and Brandy ( whatever) as well.

Yes the B-Day girl used my  18k yellow gold match box to light my cigar and those of others.

" I feel so elegant".

Oh...yes my stocks were genuine Ivory on the 1911, the stock were ivory on her Mom's gun too...( they make some real sexy garter holsters btw...).  Supposed to match one's cane dont' you know?  Smiley

The B-day lady really appreciated everything, she thought the "cigar room" was so cool.

I am a Southern Gentleman, don't mean I cannot be "Southern" , a "Gentleman" or both when need be.

"Clunk"

Oh crap! I think Barbara and some other ladies here either were "swooned" or just fell down laughing after reading that.

*wink*

Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2005, 01:11:59 PM »
cas700850 ,  couldn't agree with you more man

comming from a fellow, north-central ohio-un, living way to close to that great white north.  The only thing i would do different would be knob creek on the rocks...

bermbuster

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2005, 01:30:15 PM »
Quote from: Lennyjoe
Question, has anyone tried Gluvine?  Warm spiced German wine?  I have two bottles that I plan to serve at our Christmas eve get together.

I remember drinking some in Stuttgart when we went there visiting.
Gluvi (as the Swiss would say) is wonderful.   Lovely as an aperitif on a winter evening.

I have found that smoking a cigar makes me want to return to cigarette smoke especially if accompanied by a nice brandy...or two or three.  I feel certain I am not a rare commodity, a female who enjoys a good cigar on occasion.  I do like Cuban cigars which are fortunately available for purchase anywhere but the US.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2005, 02:04:51 PM »
1976, my soon-to-be wife and I were wandering around Augsburg a few days before Christmas and came across the Kristkindlesmarkt in the town square. Kind of a Christmas bazaar. After an hour or so of looking around, we came upon a stand selling hot drinks. Gluhwein to be precise. Smelled good, so we got a couple of cups.  HOT DANG that stuff was good! Warmed us right up and made the rest of the afternoon much more enjoyable. Every Christmas since, we have always managed to find a bottle of gluhwein and relive that afternoon.
Thanks for the reminder LJ, I need to go find a bottle. Smiley

Kharn

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2005, 02:53:21 PM »
cas700850:
That sounds pretty good, I'll have to try it sometime.

Waitone

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2005, 04:22:17 PM »
Bermbuster, you really will fit in nicely.  A female that shoot guns and smokes cigars.  You wouldn't drive a pickup, would you?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Lennyjoe

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2005, 06:08:38 AM »
They have Augsburger Gluvine here at the shoppette for $5 each.  I have 2 in the wine rack right now.  Smiley

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2005, 06:49:09 AM »
Anyone tried meade, and do you like it?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2005, 06:57:29 AM »
I had Meade in Poland a few years ago. They would heat the Meade up with whole cloves and serve a couple fingers in a tumbler. Really good stuff, I brought a bottle back with me, but it was gone by the end of the first cold snap that winter.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2005, 07:11:38 AM »
Excellent.  Beverages and More has some in stock.  I'll grab a bottle or two and some cloves and see how it goes.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2005, 03:28:41 AM »
Gewehr - I hope you didn't INHALE while you were at that concert... shocked

Oh, for what it's worth. Don't drink, don't smoke. Anymore. Don't worry, I haven't always been this good.

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2005, 11:06:59 AM »
Lately I have been smoking a cigar brand called Vengence, it is made by the same workers who make Rocky Patel cigars. They are full bodied but do not make you gag, overall a very good smoke. If I am drinking while smoking I will have either Pilsner style beer or red wine. It all depends on what I have eaten or the mood I am in.

http://www.fullerspullers.com/vengeance.htm
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

grampster

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2005, 07:15:45 PM »
I've an appreciation of all the fine spirits.  I used to love beer.  There are couple yet that I crave from time to time.  Circumstances need to be "just so" however.
Right now I really have come to appreciate wine.  We have some fine Michigan wine.  One I appreciate the most is Winter White by Leelanau Cellars.  My other favorite is made by a friend; a Chardonnay with peach and apricot overtones.
I've had a legit Cuban cigar and crave another.  I don't like cigars as a rule.  Smell good, taste bad.  But that Cuban was....indescribable.