Author Topic: Scotch and Cigars  (Read 9893 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2005, 07:20:32 PM »
For folks who would enjoy an occassional puff on something but don't like the smell/taste of cigars, I'd strongly suggest going out and getting a decent pipe and trying a few blends from your local tobacconist. There's a million varieties and flavors to try. They taste quite good (depends on just what your specific tastes are of course) and are very smooth, quite often without offending the nose of others (I've gotten many more comments on the 'pleasant' smell of my pipe than the opposite). Plus, no inhaling and it's not gonna break the bank.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2005, 07:21:20 PM »
+1 on the pipe.

grampster

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2005, 08:10:05 PM »
Ahem, some might say a pipe has a multitude of uses.  Er...that would be the addition of sweetgrass from the remaining prairies of Michigan.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Waitone

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2005, 04:28:43 AM »
As a salute to pipe smokers, I've made it a professional goal to never work with a pipe smoker again.  I am goal and time driven and I have yet to see a pipe smoker get in a hurry.  May there's a lesson in there somewhere.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Lennyjoe

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2005, 05:59:48 AM »
I have actually thought of taking up pipe smoking but figured I wasn't old enough (39). Smiley

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2005, 12:25:49 PM »
(I'm only 22!)

First off, I usually smoke in the comfort of my own home, or my car.

Secondly, if I'm doing something for work or school, and I'm almost certainly doing it hurriedly, just a natural pace. But again, I'm 22. I have met a great many pipe smokers who are a bit too...glazed over for me. The reason I like the pipe, is it gives a time and an activity in which to be glazed. Let's you slow down for a moment.

I can't remember where I read it, and even if I did I'd be suspicious, but I recall seeing a study saying pipe smoking males lived longer than their non-smoking counterparts.

So there. I'm going to live forever, while you all keel off early with your perfect lungs...muahahaha.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Waitone

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2005, 12:57:03 PM »
For those of you who favor single malt, I just found the mother of all sites.

http://www.maltmadness.com/
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

LawDog

• friend
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2005, 01:50:08 PM »
A small loaf of rich, black bread.

A wedge of aged smoked cheddar cheese.

About three ounces of vodka in a glass nestled down in a bowl of ice.

Small fire of mesquite logs in the chiminea.

Sit on the back porch with my feet on the rail, cut chunks of cheese for the bread with my pocketknife, and wash it down with sips of ice-cold vodka, while thinking of old friends and other times.

Seems to center the soul quite nicely.

LawDog

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2005, 11:21:03 AM »
I don't do too much Scotch these days, although I am happy with most that start with a Mc or Mac. I would much rather have Bourbon. I have a little bit of Eliajah Craig 18yr old wiating for me once this deployment is done. I like the stuff the Jim Beam subsidiary has coughed up too such as Knob Creek and Bookers. I think my favorite companion to that is a Montecristo. I like Cohibas too, but the Montecristo has a very distinctive aftertaste and smell that I favor. Living it up while I have access to Cubans courtesy of the USN. My only problem with cigar smoking is that I have to smoke cigarettes or cigarillos a little bit just to warn my body that nicotine is coming. I had on particular relaxing evening with the newspaper, a cigar, and bourbon where i had to lay on the floor for a few hours and wish away the urge to puke. Good cigar, well worth it. For cigarillos, Montecristo makes some good ones too. No such thing as a good cigarette, but I make do occasionally.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

XLMiguel

Scotch and Cigars
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2005, 08:54:05 AM »
Glenmorangie and A. Fuentes is a nice combo.  I have a couple of friends who work in an embassy and wife's family in Bermuda, so I am occasionally favored with good Havanas (not the stuff they sell at the airport duty free stores).  Life is good.