Author Topic: idea.  (Read 1196 times)

idea.
« on: December 30, 2005, 09:47:12 PM »
A software application that allows the user to build a network of goals and actions, then builds optimal pathways or day by day task setting.

For one example (drawing from my life because I am uncreative), I would list getting a paypal account updated with fresh ID as a needed action, and list updating and using an ebay account as another action, requiring the completion of the paypal action. As detail to the action, the necessary steps would be listed, (get new photo ID, fax ID and coversheet to paypal) and listed as their own actions.

Each time the user completes an action, they update their progress. You could be working focused on one thing at a time, or spread out across a wide front. They could plan chains of tasks months in advance, and then update or modify them in seconds.

As the user would complete tiered actions, the program would open up the new, enabled actions for completion, along with suggested tactics to complete things in efficient order. (Suppose you had done a number of things for different actions, and a certain few left would open multiple things. sort of like a chess move, see) Deadlines could be added in, along with priorities. You could put in general todos that are seperate from other actions (go visit the Bensons), or set dates for certain actions to appear and demand progress. (like having taxes appear at the appropriate time. if you wanted to get anal, it could be placed in before other actions, forcing you to do it before doing anything else)

I think this would be a cool way to make worklists, to see how each individual task or accomplished action/goal opens up or builds on others, and build focus. Course, I could do this with notecards, but the whole point of database oriented programming is to do things that you would do using notecards. Until then, I have a lot of 3x5 cards and no experience in building programs with GUIs. Wink

TarpleyG

• friend
idea.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 02:59:06 AM »
Microsoft Project.

Greg

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
idea.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 04:14:32 AM »
Microsoft Project
Or "Tasks" in MS Outlook
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

bermbuster

• friend
idea.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 04:29:53 AM »
Pencil and paper

Justin

• friend
idea.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 11:28:16 AM »
A computer program that nags.

Actually...not a bad idea.

But for someone who procrastinates (looks at that shifty fellow in the mirror) the big challenge would be inputting all the needed data in the first place.

I really should look for a girlfriend with a Type A disposition...
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Preacherman

idea.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 02:32:43 PM »
Just remember the ancient and time-honored problem of "paralysis by analysis".  I've met folks who spent so much time and trouble planning their project, then refining their plans, then re-doing them from scratch to take an unanticipated problem into account, and so on, that they never actually got to the project itself!
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
idea.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 05:54:20 PM »
The description of the application sounds as if it is tailor made for someone with OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder).  This may or may not be a good thing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.