Author Topic: Electrical connection to metallic trace on glass (car defroster)  (Read 3431 times)

cfabe

• friend
On my Mazda 6 there is both an antenna in the roof and one printed on the back window above the normal defroster trace, same material as the defroster trace. The 03-04 cars used the glass antenna, and the 05s switched to a 'normal' antenna in the roof. I want to re-connect the glass antenna and use the roof antenna hole for other purposes. The pad where the antenna connector would go has no tab or connector. Can I solder a spade terminal tab onto this pad? I think it'd be difficult to solder as the glass would pull away so much heat. Some sort of conductive epoxy or something similar maybe ? Any ideas?

Azrael256

• friend
Electrical connection to metallic trace on glass (car defroster)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 01:46:30 PM »
Get your solder good and hot on the iron, and then apply it to the terminal... unless you can't take it off the car, in which case soldering would be exceptionally difficult anyway because of that whole "gravity" thing.

I'm not quite picturing this in my mind, but if the terminal on the antenna mount is intact, you can probably look around and find a pigtail with the necessary connector.  Then you just crimp on whatever you like and you're off to the races.

onions!

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 01:58:08 PM »
Might try the Dealer to get a 03-04 antenna base.On the GM trucks that use a glass antena the base comes w/a new pad that "connects" to the glass antenna.Might be similar.

caseydog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 02:26:55 PM »
I know what you're sayin and I can think of 2 possible solutions. There is a solder made to be used with a kitchen match-very low melt point , maybe try that .

Second option would be a terminal to match up with the window mounted pad that has a point or two for contact and glue it on using rear view mirror adhesive (kit available at Napa, pep boys etc.) being careful not to get glue on the contact point , but all around it. Know what i'm sayin there?

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 05:09:52 PM »
I checked an online parts catalog and it looks like the stock antenna just has a lead that connects to a terminal on the glass. There wasn't a lot of detail in the drawing, but I didn't look like a piece that would bolt on to the body and just pressure contact to the glass like 41mag suggested.

In response to Azrael, let me clarifiy. On the rear window of the car, there is a grid of copper? traces on the glass. There is one area which is a larger pad, which looks to be where some sort of connector would be soldered/bonded/stuck on the 03-04 cars that used the in-window antenna. On my 05 the pad is still there, but no terminal/connector is installed. I'm looking for a way to hook up the antenna lead to that terminal. So the glass obviously can't be removed, and the soldering would be upside down.

Ray, I like both of those ideas, may be worth a shot.

Does anyone know if there is a conductive adhesive or epoxy I could use for this? Keeping in mind it has to be electrically conductive to high-frequency signals.

caseydog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 05:19:15 PM »
Cfabe , don't let the upside down thing defer you from soldering , if you get the pad up to temp solder will "defy gravity" , it will draw towards the heat. Plumbers use this little trick al the time>

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062724&cp=2032058.2032236.2032313&pg=3&parentPage=family

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062716&cp=2032058.2032236.2032313&pg=6&parentPage=family

Ask at RS if an cleaning or fluxing is recommended for what you want to do, of course use a drop towel to protect the upholstry from any drips.

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 09:06:44 PM »
There's no need to solder!

Years ago my "glass antenna" connection peeled off.  I went to the auto parts shop. and there's a brush-on liquid; it's like conductive nail polish.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.