Author Topic: Parody is impossible in an age of insanity  (Read 1756 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Parody is impossible in an age of insanity
« on: August 26, 2016, 08:45:17 AM »
http://motto.time.com/4466233/burkini-sales-french-ban/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Burkini sales are shooting up because...

“No man in this entire world can tell us what to wear or what not to wear,” she told BBC News.

Irony is dead.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

White Horseradish

• friend
Re: Parody is impossible in an age of insanity
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 10:22:12 AM »
Burkinis are stupid.

Ban on burkinis is also stupid.

Everything is stupid.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 10:47:18 AM »
http://motto.time.com/4466233/burkini-sales-french-ban/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Burkini sales are shooting up because...

Irony is dead.
That lady is selling the things.  So of course she would let nothing stand in the way of making more money.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:55:02 AM »
I find them quite comfortable.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 12:32:13 PM »
That lady is selling the things.  So of course she would let nothing stand in the way of making more money.

Only a Communist would stand in the way of selling things.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:48:02 PM »
Not every woman who covers her head or body is being forced to.  I know a woman who had a young Muslim family of my acquaintance over for dinner.  She ended up making a right ass of herself trying to convince her guest that now she was in America she should go around without her hijab because feminism and empowerment and western values and such.  She just couldn't believe that it was what the young lady herself felt comfortable with and what she preferred.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 01:51:29 PM »
Not every woman who covers her head or body is being forced to.

I don't think anyone here believes that is the case.

Do you believe that every woman who covers her head or body is doing so of her own free will?

You're going to answer "Of course not."

In which case we've just both added absolutely nothing to the conversation because we're attacking a position no one on this forum holds.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 02:06:05 PM »
In which case we've just both added absolutely nothing to the conversation because we're attacking a position no one on this forum holds.

Isn't that why we keep De Selby around?  So we can assign him otherwise untaken positions, particularly when they're more reasonable than his own?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »
Aheda Zanetti, who lives in Australia and owns the trademark on ‘burkini,’ says online sales skyrocketed.

“No man in this entire world can tell us what to wear or what not to wear,” she told BBC News.

Easy to say that in Australia. Fly to Riyadh and try it.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »
It's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

1st Corinthians says women should keep their heads covered; there's nothing wrong with modesty.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 03:10:11 PM »
It's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

1st Corinthians says women should keep their heads covered; there's nothing wrong with modesty.

It also says that her hair is sufficient covering.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 03:17:15 PM »
It also says that her hair is sufficient covering.

And that long hair is a glory to her, but even some of the most fundamental, literal churches I've seen have at least one Sister Bertha Better Than You with short hair.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 03:22:04 PM »
And that long hair is a glory to her, but even some of the most fundamental, literal churches I've seen have at least one Sister Bertha Better Than You with short hair.

We don't have a Sister Bertha BTY right now, but come to think of it when we did she had short hair. 
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 03:29:19 PM »
We don't have a Sister Bertha BTY right now, but come to think of it when we did she had short hair. 
Not now?  Too many squirrels? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 03:29:55 PM »
Only a Communist would stand in the way of selling things.
Since half the comments in the article were from this woman, it seemed like she was generating her own controversy. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 03:39:47 PM »

During prayer or prophecy/preaching. Plus the hair as covering thing. :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 04:29:40 PM »
I don't think anyone here believes that is the case.
In that case I'm missing the irony.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Parody is impossible in an age of insanity
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 09:15:02 PM »
Burkinis are stupid.

Ban on burkinis is also stupid.

Everything is stupid.
Even this comment is stupid....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 02:06:25 AM »
Not now?  Too many squirrels? 

It was a fight for survival...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »
Not every woman who covers her head or body is being forced to.  I know a woman who had a young Muslim family of my acquaintance over for dinner.  She ended up making a right ass of herself trying to convince her guest that now she was in America she should go around without her hijab because feminism and empowerment and western values and such.  She just couldn't believe that it was what the young lady herself felt comfortable with and what she preferred.

It's an overwhelming trend in modern "feminism", not just related to Islam or religion. The whole concept of choice feminism (which is woman being allowed to make there own choices with what they want and something I actually support) is anthem to the modern feminist. It's not about choice anymore, but about doing the things that "benefit" woman as a whole, rather than the individual being able to make free choices. Basically, they want to trade in a patriarchy for a matriarchy and then have hissy fits when someone calls them on their hypocrisy.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds