Author Topic: Idea for protecting the RKBA - join the democratic party  (Read 5394 times)

goon

Idea for protecting the RKBA - join the democratic party
« on: November 30, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »
For awhile now I've thought that if we could get large numbers of gunowners to join the democratic party we could potentially make any election a "win-win" situation for gun rights.
My reasoning is that the extremists in the democratic party are able to target our rights with impunity because there isn't a very strong dissenting voice within their party to oppose them. In other words, they get their way because there aren't enough of "us" there to keep them in check.
Solution - Register as a democrat so you can vote in their primaries. Then help pick the "better" democrats so that regardless of who gets elected, you still wind up with a reasonably decent guy in office.

Any thoughts?

taurusowner

Re: Idea for protecting the RKBA - join the democratic party
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
Well seeing as the are a couple dozen other issues that I also care about other than RKBA, issues that the Dems oppose me on, I'll pass.

If we're gonna devote our effort to changing a political party, let's focus on the one that is supposed to already be ours, but really isn't.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 07:05:50 PM »
Aren't most Democrats already pro-gun, but they don't have a say in the platform, the platform being controlled by the extremists ?  If so, joining to form a majority in the party might be pointless.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »
Aren't most Democrats already pro-gun, but they don't have a say in the platform, the platform being controlled by the extremists ?  If so, joining to form a majority in the party might be pointless.

Pft. No.

Most I know of are statists who expect the government to save and protect them, and who are happy to spend other people's money for their ideals.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 07:29:18 PM »
So I should join Al Quaida (sp?) to make them a more merciful, kinder group of intolerant killers of the innocent, non extremist, non what ever their religion is group of fascists?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 07:43:51 PM »
Dems pro-gun? 

Not the ones I know, and that includes the ones who actually own guns but act as if they didn't.  :)

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »
Exactly how will you expect to change the party? 

1.  You could vote in primaries.  You don't have to join it to do that in Texas, however, you are assuming that one of the candidates is pro-2A.  Also, you would only make an impact if a whole lot of people did it. 

2.  You could run for office which might require spending time with the local organization and also someone to back you with a little money.  Good luck with that.  You would basically have to run on a Democrat platform with pro-2A.  For me that would be lying.  I won't do that. 

3.  You could try to gang up on a precinct and/or county convention and get platform amendments pushed through.  That won't get very far at the state level.  If you had that many guys to do it all over, we wouldn't have this problem with D.C.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 08:49:29 PM »
What makes you think the Democrats will listen to their party members?  The Republicans don't.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 10:58:22 PM »
You don't have to join it to do that in Texas, however, you are assuming that one of the candidates is pro-2A. 

Bob Conley?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 11:09:51 PM »
I'd only suggest joining the party if you agree with enough of their platform to be comfortable.

If you like 'em for most, except their gun stance, go for it.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 11:36:25 PM »
Nope, and I'm not wearing a Nazi army uniform, either.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 12:12:30 AM »
Pro-life Democrats have been using that strategy for decades.  And we all know how that's working out.   :|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 01:06:23 AM »
If you're going to change a major political party, change the Republicans.  They're already mostly on your side.  Plus they bathe regularly.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 01:30:25 PM »
In Montana they sent us two primary ballots - one for D and one for R.  You can only fill out and submit one or the other. 

The only thing the declared affiliation does is allow you to run for office as a D/R.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 05:04:08 PM »
How can you change them, when a party plank is gun control?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 05:38:30 PM »
Democrats are pro-gun in areas that are pro-gun. Republicans are similar. Mitt Romney and Giuliani were both supporters of the AWB and/or further gun control measures. They were running in liberal areas.

Repubs tend to be pro-gun, in name, at the very least.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 06:03:57 PM »
Idea for protecting the RKBA - join the democratic party

That's not how they did it in 1994, in the face of a Dem. president and Dem. congress. 

No, they went to the polls and voted for Republicans.  They made clear that voting for gun control had consequences.  Since then, the AWB was allowed to expire.  Concealed carry flourished, and the castle doctrine spread to multiple states.  Here in Missouri, we gained concealed carry and unlicensed vehicle carry and did away with permits to purchase handguns. 

The Republican Party has disappointed us in many ways, but let's not forget what works. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »

I am a registered Democrat and have been since I was 18.  I formerly was somewhat activate in the local, and quite a bit less so at the state.  PA Dem's tend to not be rabidly anti-gun, and I have reminded some Congresscritter hopefuls that our state has the most hunters in the entire country, by quite a margin.   Philly and another district I won't comment on PC grounds are the exception, of course.  Philly pretends to be its own state, and is often smacked by the courts.   

Then again, PA has some very nice pro-gun laws.  Very handy ones, actually.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 03:55:08 PM »
What makes you think the Democrats will listen to their party members?  The Republicans don't.

Ding...ding...ding...Thread winner!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 03:01:51 AM »
Guys, it's the same concept as "be an independent."

Get active.

Run for office.

Display common sense.

I know one VERY visible individual in the gun culture who ran for a congressional seat as a democrat, and the republicans and nra seriously bad-talked him...

Blog under construction

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 04:12:13 PM »
Guys, it's the same concept as "be an independent."

Get active.

Run for office.

Display common sense.

I know one VERY visible individual in the gun culture who ran for a congressional seat as a democrat, and the republicans and nra seriously bad-talked him...

John Ross, right?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 06:59:06 PM »
There are lots of pro-gun Democrats (they are called DFL here for they merged with a Farmer-Labor party decades ago) here in Minnesota. A friend of mine is an active DFL member who is a gun owner. At local caucuses, many citizens did inform the party that "gun control" is causing them to lose votes to Republicans and Independents here. It made it difficult for the state DFL to vote down CCW laws, and they passed.

Dems could learn a lesson from Minnesota DFLers. Being pro gun or at least not anti-gun could give them some support. There are pro-gun Democrats, but there should always be more.