Author Topic: Ruminations (Birthday Depression)  (Read 5116 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Ruminations (Birthday Depression)
« on: July 19, 2005, 12:50:59 PM »
Tomorrow is my 17th birthday.

I dunno, I guess I just was expecting to be more thrilled about it, or for it to be amazingly euphoric or something. By no means am I a generally unhappy person, probably more introspective than is good for me, but I'm generally humble enough to be grateful for the good things in my life

Recently it seems like it's all slipping away... Maybe it's an ebb in life, but it's been ebbing for a while. A couple of good friendships have lapsed, being a nonsmoker still isn't easy, my ex girlfriend of 9 months just sent me a flower and chocolate thing for my birthday.

Yeah, that's right, ex girlfriend of 9 months. I think that may be what is contributing to my melancholy; that i've learned to rely on another to feel all right myself. That I feel like I need accompaniment, that I'm JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH by myself.

But sitting here, with the aftertaste of the chocolates in my mouth, the phone in my lap, waiting for any of the number of people I asked to call me today to see if we could hang out to call...

I dunno. Just a general sense of melancholy. This last year has been unequivacably the hardest of my life, but strangely the most rewarding. Seemingly I am the most fufilled when I am in the most pain, or working to recover from that pain.

I feel like your classic teenager... NOONE UNDERSTANDS ME, I'M ALL ALONE... but I dunno. Maybe that's true for everyone. Nobody really understands anyone, and everyone is truly all alone. Maybe the key to life is finding out how to be okay with that.

I dunno where I'm going with this, just had to vent.

Comments? Suggestions?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Brrlgrrl

• friend
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 01:02:14 PM »
I wish you a Happy Birthday, Winston.

...has left the building.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 01:42:50 PM »
Happy birthday bro, and quit listening to emo Wink Kidding aside, you've already learned that through fire comes hardness. It doesn't end when you turn 20 that's for sure. Like in the Audioslave song, be yourself, its all that you can do.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 01:51:43 PM »
My brother, who works as doc in a hospice, was telling me the other day about a patient.  Guy was 42 years old, had just moved to KY 6months earlier with his wife.  He developed a cough that wouldnt go away.  Sure enough, metastasized cancer.  Lungs collapsing on a respirator with heavy sedation.  All within about 2 months.

So stop whining about how tough it is and get out there and live a little.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 03:24:13 PM »
Happy birthday.  All is not lost my friend.  You are still young--plenty of stuff to come.  IIRC, you had a drinking problem a while back???  Maybe I am thinking of someone else.  Anyway, if it was you, be careful and responsible and realize the bottle is the last place that'll make you happy, okay...

Greg

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 03:30:26 PM »
Yeah dude, that was me, still working hard at staying sober, over a year and a quarter later... thanks for the advice, always good to hear those same old principles hammered in, I've got a thick head you know.

So stop whining about how tough it is and get out there and live a little.
Yeah, that's probably the solution
Jack
APS #22
Right?

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 03:59:49 PM »
Eh, we all feel that way occasionally..the trick is to stuff that stuff down under your spleen where it belongs and do something productive. Self-esteem comes through accomplishments, not drugs or coddling.

That being said, go do something silly..I highly recommend bumper boats. Smiley

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 04:23:55 PM »
I turned 23 last February, so I'm not that far out of your situation.  I'll admit, I'm tempted to tell you to suck it up and quit whining, but I didn't care for that kind of advice when I was your age, and I generally only say that to people who are actually pissing me off with their troubles (and don't worry, you're not even beginning to approach that point).  I can, however, tell you that just sucking it up does work, if you can pull it off.  It took me awhile to get to that point, and I still have to go to the Angry Dome now and then to chill out enough to just deal with it.

As for your friends not calling...  f**k 'em!  Go do something productive, and forget about people who don't call.  Never, EVER put yourself in a situation where somebody not calling you leaves you with absolutely nothing to do all night.  Having nothing to do lets you sit and dwell on your percieved loneliness, y este no es bueno, amigo.  Go change the oil in your car.  Clean out your closet.  Fix the roof.  Cure cancer.  *Whatever*.  Just go be productive.  That reminds me...  need to change my oil.

I second Barbara's silly idea.  Bumper boats are a good way to go.  If you're careful, you can develop this trick where you spin it real hard to the left while dipping your right hand in the water.  You can sling water all over the place like that.  Do be careful not to fall in.

GT

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 04:46:18 PM »
Random life thoughts for W Smith:

At 17 everything is so IMPORTANT.

At 50 everything is so... predictable.

If a chick is still sending stuff after you broke up then she is trying to manipulate you. Ignore her. When you eat her chocolate THAT, my friend, is the taste of freedom. Savor it.

I spent large chunks of my life depressed, for no apparent reason. I have been happy now for about 10 years. It could happen to you.

All the money I every made I worked for. Every penny. There are no free rides, get-rich-quick schemes or magic bullets. Make sure that your work will be well rewarded because it is the only way to prosperity. Pick a career with upward mobility (and options).

There is no reason to feel bummed. But remember to do stuff. Winston Smith (the original) was a bummed out loner, but he did stuff, defied the system and scored with a hot chick. So can you.

Try not to get any felony convictions, they will dog your footsteps.

Try not to get into pointless arguments. Remember GT's first rule of the Futility of Argument":
You won't convince anyone of anything useful through logical and rational argument, only through bribery or coercion.
With that in mind only argue for the sheer fun of it, or to torment others who deserve it.

Women don't like a whiner. You have to be sensitive, but strong. It's OK to be bummed, but be thoughtful about it not self-indulgent.

They told me that once you get beyond a certain age the years shoot by. I found that not to be the case. All the years feel about the same and my childhood feels like a long time ago.

Ejoy your youth and don't measure yourself by other people's opinions.

Remember that mentally people rarely get beyond High School. What has happened up until that point shapes them for life. You can see how Chuck Schumer was beaten every day at school and he will never get over it, nor will he let us. This will help you understand people and their odd behavior.

Don't get anyone pregnant (unless you are married and ready for children).

Marry at 35 to a woman who is 25. You will be happier and so will she. You will then have the money to raise the children comfortably without feeling like you are being sucked dry by a horde of vampires.

Go to College.

G

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 05:09:52 PM »
What everyone else said.

If you want to have some fun, go to a construction site and walk around yelling La Migra, La Migra. (sp?) Tongue cheesy
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 11:38:14 PM »
Man, I just typed this up, and I feel a whole lot better...

WARNING, foul language, ascerbic humor, and pedantic life coaching ahead.

BEGIN:

I, Jack Joseph Raynard, want you to relax.

Close your eyes. No, do it. Concentrate on your breath for a few moments, then look back up here.

I'm going to tell you a few things that I've learned. Take them, use them, laugh at them, whatever, just listen with an open mind and heart-

1)

You are what you eat.

Not only is this a clever response to anyone calling you a pussy, it's also a truism. What are you? Obviously a collection of food molecules that thinks it's self aware. Soon enough your molecules will be distributed again. maybe in a billion years you'll become part of a plant that'll be eaten by an animal that dies. Just as there are molecules that were part of dinosaurs in you, you will be part of them.

There's no reason to worry about death. You can't die, because you were never really alive. Your life is the greatest time span you will ever experience and since everything is relative, it's an infinity to you. Tofu will only make your life seem longer in comparison to other "humans," just as smoking will make it seem shorter. Shorter and unhappier, in my experience.

Life is infinite.

2)

Ever feel like *expletive deleted*it?

Like everyone around you is judging you, nobody likes you, you're ugly, too fat, too skinny, too tall, too short, too light, too dark, etcetera ad infinitum ad naseum. Like you don't belong, like you're not good enough, like no one will accept you cause you have nothing to offer?

This is called self centered fear. Everyone feels this way at times. If you've figured out a way not to, tell me how. In many ways, life is a lot about not letting this self centered fear control your actions.

Lets do away with all your negative internal monlogues right here: You are the product of billions of years of genetic selection. You are, just by being alive to see this, one of the most powerful/smart/sexy/tough/virile/fast/cunning organism to ever exist.

Now all you have to do is squash that self centered fear and go out and spread that genetic code, baby.

3)

Try to control the future. No, right now, do it.

Is it working? Do you have that car, that life, that job, that size bank account you wanted? Thought not.

We are permanently traveling into the future, selecting from essentially infinite possible universes. The best and only way to change the future is to take action right now, this very second.

Right now (in all it's possibilities) is all we have. More on this later.

To have one foot in tomorrow and one foot in yesterday gets you all set to piss all over today.

4)

All you need is inside of you. In the end, no one can make you do anything you don't want to. This includes feel happy or sad. Eleanor Roosevelt only had it half right when she said 'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent..' No one can make you feel SUPerior either.

You may not be able to control your emotions, but you can definitely control your attitude. There's a world of difference between:

"I'm so down, life sucks, I'm tired of trying"

and

"Man life is hard some times. However the pain of living is worth is, because it's a didactic like no other, and allows me to learn lessons that I can maybe teach to others to improve their lot. I can't be self centered and only think about how bad my life is. Also, I know the good times will come again."

Which leads me to my fifth and final point.

5)

The good times as well as the bad times will pass away, just as everything does. All we have is this very moment. Instead of losing it to tension or self centered fear why don't we devote it to love, to helping our fellow human, to passing along hard-earned lessons and wisdom so others can learn from our mistakes, and make a whole new set of mistakes.

Which is why I'm up typing this at 1:34AM on my seventeenth birthday writing this.

I love you all.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 12:56:36 AM »
Happy Birthday Smiley

Things will get better, then they will get worse. Someday you will wish you were 17 again, enjoy it while it lasts. Cheesy
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 03:39:55 AM »
Dude, this is 20 years too soon for you to feel this way.

17?  Go jump rope and hit the heavy bag if you feel stressed.  Feel alone?  Go join a club--fencing, boxing, dance club (chicks dig guys who can dance and you'll kill them in university if you can dance), martial arts, book club, whatever.

University awaits!  Your early '20s await!  Your career and future await!  Go get ready now.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 06:15:38 AM »
El T,
    I advised him of the same in another thread.  This kid is just way too mature for his age.  On the plus side of that, perhaps that portends great things from this lad.
Happy Birthday, Winston.  Perhaps you are a birthday gift to us!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 09:10:54 AM »
Guys, it's his birthday. Will someone who lives down there please take this young man to a range? Obviously his bloodstream powdersmoke count is way low! Wink
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 09:34:51 AM »
Happy Birthday Winston Smiley.

Wayne

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 09:58:11 AM »
Birthday wishes to ya Winston. Cheesy
Maybe the key to life is finding out how to be okay with that.
That strikes me as one of the first steps to true wisdom.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 10:00:07 AM »
Today is my wifes Birthday

she is Forty years old

when she was 17
it was 1982

E.T., The Road Warrior & Bladerunner came out in 1982

In the year you were born, 1988,:
CDs outsell vinyl records for the first time.

You are 17
and you have the incredible luxury of being bored in America

enjoy it
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 04:56:07 PM »
Happy Birthday, Winston.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 01:00:42 AM »
Happy birthday, Winston.  But...

When you wake up and your back hurts; When you realize that all the hot girls you see were born when you were in high school; When you start getting concerned about whether you have enough fiber in your diet (and it becomes important to your day-to-day happiness that you do so)-get back to me.

Now go out somewhere and dance all night, like I used to be able to do.  Do it for me.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 05:50:45 PM »
You couldn't pay me to go through being seventeen again.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2005, 12:13:09 PM »
Amen, brother!
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2005, 06:59:42 PM »
Seventeen,

Vietnam, guys burning draft cards, girls burning bras. Muscle cars, Rock & Roll. I was humping it to help support a Mom and 3 sibs.  Attended funerals of folks I knew that came back in body bags...sometimes pushing a wheelchair of some Vet, who left his legs in SEA.  My B-Day always came up in the draft, I knew I was gonna get drafted - my number had always come up before...

Fall of '72 the troops started coming home, I was 17. I turned 18 in April, registered for the draft, 1H. All we needed was some other reason - and I'd be drafted.

I worked hard, I played harder.  

To be honest there is much truth to what a mentor told me:  " Birthdays actually aint' no indicator of a persons maturity. Not much to look forward to in life if going by numbers alone...

Age 6 - start school. Age 13 - become a teenager. 18 you get drafted, 21, vote, buy booze. Then ya gotta wait until 25 to maybe get lower insurance rates, 30, 40, 50, 60, then maybe at 65 retirement. 70, 80, 90, 100.  Play by the numbers and one can get damned depressed."

It is only a number. Never been one to always abide by the 'rules'.  Never been one to act as I was supposed to at a given age - not about to start now.

Kinda like - what is difference in a day of the week, or the calendar number of a month?

One day at a time.  Do your best - whether working hard or playing harder.  This life dealie ends too quick. Then sometimes the physical won't let you do something you put off.

I am 50 and you could not pay me to go back through  my teens, 20s, 30s, or 40s.

Then again I am grateful for any day I wake up - beats the hell out of the alternative.

Had a patient once , beautiful 16 y/o girl.  Leukemia finally took her. "Honey what do you want for you 17th B-day? Her parents asked.
"I just want to make it thru the treatment today and be able to hold food down tomorrow - I promised the little kids I would help them watercolor tomorrow if I felt okay - turning 17 is a month away..."
She never saw 17, two weeks later she never woke up.

She , like many peds patients, taught the parents, doctors, nurses staff, and other patients - how to truly live and be grateful. How to enjoy the smallest things. Seemed to have better attitudes about matters.

Go visit a Peds hospital and do some volunteer work.  Get out of yourself. To keep it - give it away.

You have to have something before you can give it away tho'.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2005, 05:53:14 AM »
Happy Birthday, wildman!

I'm 36. 18x2.

As soon as you hit 21 the years will fly by, and you will find yourself thinking where the hell did all that time go? (Kinda like Bob Seger's song "Like a rock".)

I do know how you feel now though, I think. Like a rudderless ship without a compass or charts. You can't go from here to there without even knowing where "there" is.

My advice from myself at 36 to me at 17 would have been to figure out where I wanted to go, figure out how to get there and live my life in pursuit of "getting there". I would have measured everything by it's ability to do just that.  Are these friends getting me where I want to go? Is this job getting me where I want to go? Am I taking the school courses I need to get me there?

I used to think it was impossible to "get there" when I was 17. I did get somewhere, it just isn't what I expected. I was that rudderless ship for 18 years! Don't let that happen to you.

I look back on all the things I "could have" done, sheesh. Most are not possible now. I wanted to drive all around the country, doing odd jobs and stuff just to put enough gas in my car to get to the next place. I wanted to get a six pack license (charter boat captain's license) and live on a sailboat in the Carribean and charter my boat out to tourists for money. I was told these things were silly, irresponsible, impossible, and not respectable. DON"T EVER LET ANYONE TELL YOU THAT!

Dreams I'll never see. (Listen to Molly Hatchet's "Dreams I'll never see", good stuff) I could have done those things, it's too late now. Got a child, career, bills, retirement accounts, etc.

Anchors.

Figure out what you want to do and get there before you drop any anchors. You may not be able to pull them up again when you want to!

I'll shut up now, and leave you with this.

Molly Hatchet, "Dreams I'll Never See"

Just one more morning, I have to wake up with the blues.
Pull myself outta bed, yeah, put on my walkin' shoes.
Climb up on a hilltop, baby, see what I can see, yeah.

The whole world's fallin' down oh babe, right down in front of me.

Cause I'm hung up, on dreams, I'm never gonna see, yeah.
Lord help me baby, dreams get the best of me yet.

Pull myself together, gonna put on a new face, yeah.
Gonna climb down from the hilltop, baby, Lord, get back in the race.
Cause I got dreams, I got my dreams, to remember, the love we had.
I got dreams, I got my dreams, to remember, the love we had.

Cause I'm hung up, on dreams, I'm never gonna see, yeah.
Lord help me baby, dreams get the best of me yet
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot