Author Topic: US Navy caught flat-footed by Chinese...  (Read 5157 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: US Navy caught flat-footed by Chinese...
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 10:08:57 PM »
Here is an article from November 2006 warning of similar threats.  These threats seem to have been around for a while.

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=953

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 05:53:38 AM »
Thanks AZ, I spent a half hour trying to find that.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mfree

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 01:07:36 PM »
Cavitating torpedoes.... actually, seems to me that a strong enough pressure wave from an underwater explosion (depth charge) would collapse all or a part of the bubble. That's a hell of a G load to put on anything, I doubt the torpedo would survive a decavitation at speed unscatched.

And besides, with the tech common knowledge now, how long would it seriously take to develop a countermeasure? Even something as "off the wall" as a supercavitating sea-entering missile?

bk425

• Now's the time
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 01:20:54 PM »
Mach 10 missile (710mph assumed mach) is moving at 10,400 feet per second.

That's 4x faster than a .308 cartridge and it isn't slowing down.

How fast does an SM-3 or Patriot missile fly?  Wiki has no info.

Err, isn't the complexity of this dependent on the angle of attack? I mean, if the missiles coming straight at the gun then... the missiles speed just increases velocity at impact, no? I'd thought this was one of the reasons for phalanx...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 01:48:02 PM »
It would also be highly dependent on proper aim.  Going that fast, it needs to know exactly where the target is.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 01:50:38 PM »
One question I had.  If a war were to break out between high tech adversaries, what is the likelihood that satellite imaging and GPS would be available and accurate?  Wouldn't we or others go to great lengths to jam them or take out the satellites?  I ask this partly because the article said that missile was dependent on having satellite surveillance to target the ship.  Even a carrier is a small target on a big ocean when talking about ballistic missiles.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 10:46:31 PM »
If I was still riding a haze grey missile magnet I'd be more concerned about a SS-N-22 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-270_Moskitzipping my way. Especially if there were several of them and had been preceded by a wave of slower anti-ship missiles to deplete the point defenses. We have good countermeasures but they are not impervious.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.