Author Topic: Ruger SP 101  (Read 5121 times)

Declaration Day

• friends
Ruger SP 101
« on: March 26, 2010, 11:06:45 AM »
I know this topic is better suited for THR.  I don't hang out there any more, but I did pop in a minute ago and the search function is not working for me.

I've been looking at the Ruger SP-101 for a while: http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html

I handled one in a local gun shop about two weeks ago, and I was thoroughly impressed.  Several local shops have them in stock, but almost all of those have the laser grips, which I do not want.   I've found the SP101 online for as little as $450, but by the time I pay shipping and transfer costs, I'll be saving very little.

Two questions:  If you own one, how do you like it?  Any flaws, drawbacks, problems, etc.?

Is $525 a decent price for the .357 w/ 2-1/4" barrel?  One local shop has it on the shelf for that price.

Thanks!

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: Ruger SP 101
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 11:20:25 AM »
I had one ten years ago.  Very good gun, very well built. 

Hurts to shoot .357 out of it, though.  It felt like the recoil would slam the gun straight back into my palms, and after ten rounds I thought I was going to have bruised hands.  In a crisis, you wouldn't notice, I suppose.  .38 was plenty mild.

Ultimately, I sold it because I wanted something flatter for concealed carry.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 11:21:25 AM »
I bought mine about 7 years ago for $375.  It's a .357 with 3" barrel.

It tends to stay in the safe all winter in deference to either a CZ-75 or 1911 Commander, but despite my most deliberate intents to always carry an automatic, there's just times that when summer comes around, I can conceal the grip of the little SP infinitely more easily than ANY automatic I have, including a smallish PA-63 in 9x18mak.

It is the first gun I cut my teeth on, in regards to concealed carry.  It's back out of the safe as of about a week ago and on my hip again, riding in a CompTAC CTAC IWB holster.

I can hit a torso-sized target with it out to 50-60 yards with it.  It handles nearly the same as a full-sized revolver in regards to length of trigger pull and feel of recoil.  I tend to load it with mid-to-light .357 offerings or .38 reloads.  Fierce .357 loads hurt due to the fact that the factory grips allow your middle knuckle to mash against the back side of the trigger guard.

I've got 2-3k rounds through mine at this point.  About a year ago, I went to replace the springs with some Wolff ones with lower strength.  I actually liked the broken-in factory springs better and put them back in.

Never a FTF.  Lent it to a friend once and he reported a hammer failure, but it turned out to be him short-stroking the trigger return since he's used to a Dan Wesson M15 with a very different trigger.  I've bound it up only once with reloads, due to a high primer.  Learned my lesson and life has been great since.

Shoot it.  Shoot it some more.  Then a bit more.  It just keeps getting better with age.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 11:27:46 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. 

That's a very nice wood grip on yours, AZ.  If I buy one I will probably get a black rubber Hogue grip for practical reasons.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 11:28:15 AM »
You can get a lighter, more accurate, more ergonomic 5-shot revolver. I don't think you'll find a more dependable or durable 5-shot wheelgun. If you don't mind the weight and you want a rugged gun, the SP 101 is the way to go. I can't speak to price, although 5-plus bills seems a bit high.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 11:32:24 AM »
They're creeping up into the high 4s, low 5s here as well.

Chris

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
I can't speak to price, although 5-plus bills seems a bit high.

Ok then, maybe I'll check with some of the other shops and see if they'll order me one for less than $525.  

I admit to being impatient; I'll usually pay a few more bucks if it means I can have it now.  On the other hand, I don't particularly care for attitude of the staff at the aforementioned shop.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 11:35:31 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. 

That's a very nice wood grip on yours, AZ.  If I buy one I will probably get a black rubber Hogue grip for practical reasons.

Grips are Badgers.  They are nice, but they put more recoil energy into the center of your palm than the factory ones.  I've since taken them off and have put the original factory ones on.  I don't have trouble with the rubber grips "grabbing" at T-shirts or anything, so they are quite serviceable.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 11:36:54 AM »
Last time I checked, I had three or four of them.  I absolutely love my SP-101s, and one of them is my hiking/backpacking carry.  They are heavy for the size, but built like a tank. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 11:40:13 AM »
Solid guns, everybody makes holsters for them.

I'd still shoot one before buying to confirm that you like it. From what I've seen, they are a pretty common gun at rental ranges so if you can swing by one of those for a little while...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 11:47:20 AM »
  They are heavy for the size, but built like a tank. 

I will be carrying it, but weight is not an issue.  I'm a big guy and have carried a full-size 1911 around all day with no discomfort.

Quote from: Avenger29

I'd still shoot one before buying to confirm that you like it. From what I've seen, they are a pretty common gun at rental ranges so if you can swing by one of those for a little while...

Good idea.  The Gun shop 1/2 mile from me has a range and rents guns.  This is also where I'll probably order mine.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 11:48:43 AM »
BTW I also really like the Ruger LCR, but that is only available in .38 special, and I want the option of .357 magnum. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 12:06:33 PM »
Another vote for Ruger's potent little powerhouse.  I have one in .357/3".  Built like a tank.  Stays with me all the time (in the truck or house.  I have an LCP that stays in my pocket 24/7).

If you get one, pop the $15 it takes for a Wolff spring kit.  Use the 10# mainspring and reduced power trigger returne spring.  It's like a trigger job in a box.  Note that you will probably have to break out the Dremel and some Flitz if you do this.  The innards on my 101 had some leftover stamping/machining marks on the camming surfaces that cause problems with trigger reset once the reduced-power spring was installed.  A polish of all the surfaces cured the problem.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 12:07:17 PM »
Last time I checked, I had three or four of them.

If you're looking for an endorsement or seal of approval, it will be hard to top Millcreek's.   =)

I paid less than $400 for mine; maybe less than $300 at a Texas gun show, but that was about 1994.

If you're willing to go bigger, you might consider the Ruger GP100.

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »
I bought one in 32 H&R some years back.  It impressed me as a nice little gun of high quality.  It's a few ounces heavier than the same sized S&W, but that is OK with me.  I haven't kept up with the prices lately, so no help there.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 01:14:50 PM »
I've personally found Smig K frame snubs to be not that much bulkier to carry but nicer overall. That being said, can't fault the SP for what it is.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »
I found a slightly used one (was ~3 months old) in 2.25 inch and .357 caliber. The price was $360, so I made like a turkey and gobbled it up!

With a pocket holster, I tuck it in a jacket pocket, especially when on the motorcycle. It's a bit heavy for pants-pocket carry. It has an OWB snap-on holster that works nicely, too. Both holsters are from Side Guard Holsters, in Minnesota.

Once Mrs. B. gets a bit more time with it, I intend to grind off the hammer spur, maybe leaving just enough to cock for SA firing. It snags too easily right now.

I like the little SP. Yeah, it's heavy for its size but it's not painful to shoot. Magnum loads make you pay close attention to how, and how well, you grip it!

If I found a couple more, I'd grab them in .22 and 9mm as well. The .327, while interesting, isn't on my "gotta have" list.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 03:02:25 PM »
I've got a GP100, its big brother, and I love my GP 3".  Its a fantastic gun.  
For daily carry, one of the few guns I'd swap out my keltec for would probably be the SP101, but I want the 3" version (3 1/6" I think...)

PS: I actually own two Rugers.  The other is a Security six and its a great gun, too.  Despite the shorter bbl, its a good shooter.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 03:57:43 PM »
I had a .357 2 1/4" SP-101 and I loved it's tank-like bullet-proof heft. Holding it you definitely had the impression you had a dandy impact weapon if you expended all five shots and still had "troubles".  =D

However, the circled spot where the trigger guard meets the frame on mine was a triangular point and would leave me bloody on both sides, on my index finger and my thumb, even when shooting just a cylinder or two of .38 light wadcutters.  =(

I was young, just 21-22, and it never ocurred to me I could have that spot melted/stoned down etc. I did find the Ruger factory grip to be the best, however I did find the rubber to be "grabby" causing printing problems with over-shirts etc. and with clearing a cover garment for drawing. I suppose I could have tried to wax it up somehow, although I have no idea how to do that to rubber.

I'd love to have one in .22 LR, especially if it meant it could be 8-shot or 9. If the .327 Fed Mag manages to "hang on" at least at 10mm popularity or better as a revolver round, a SP-101 with six shots of that would be no slouch, and at least in theory, provide less total recoil impulse than .38 +p, but giving terminal energy in line with medium-low end .357 mag.
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 04:45:10 PM »
If you're looking for an endorsement or seal of approval, it will be hard to top Millcreek's.   =)

So I had to go to the safe and count them: I have four: one of the originals made in .38 only, two .357 and one .22. I wish that Ruger would bring back the .22. I got it NIB on GunBroker two years ago and counted myself fortunate to get it. Not a lot of options out there for a stainless .22 revolver, which makes an excellent kit gun for our wet Pacific Northwest weather.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »
I like the idea of the .38 +P Gold Dot snubbie round even in the .357 snubs.

I've not done the math but it seems like it'd be in the same general ballpark as a full bore .357 out of the shorter barrel but with a bit less muzzle flash and recoil.  In the Ruger it'd be a pussycat.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 06:40:43 PM »
Dammit.  My tax return isn't going to be as high as I thought.  This leaves me with the following options:

1.  Put the SP101 on a credit card.  I'd rather not do that.

2.  Wait until summer when I can afford to pay cash for it.

3.  Sell one of my safe queens.  Any interest in a 1st-gen Springfield XD .45 in Flat Dark Earth, or a parkerized Springfield Micro-compact M-1911?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 06:52:46 PM »

Any interest in a 1st-gen Springfield XD .45 in Flat Dark Earth

Would fifty bucks and an expired Burger King coupon do?

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »
Well, maybe if the coupon was valid.......

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »
Got one here for a free tan that hasn't expired (place closed last year though...)

Brad
-HankB